“A spectacular walk through unspoilt bush”

Mt Crichton Loop Track
Ranked #52 of 121 things to do in Queenstown
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A spectacular walk through unspoilt bush”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Not for the unfit this 2.5 hour circular walk rises up a small valley to the top of the tree line through unspoilt native bush traversing some grassy plateaux. See the many birds - the fantails, tui & melodious bell birds. There is an old gold miner's hut at the top still more or less intact. A wonderful but challenging walk.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank John E

• Indonesian first
Queenstown, New Zealand
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Yes for seniors”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Our group of four Seniors, perhaps above average fitness but certainly not triathletes found this walk excellent. Well-graded, well-signposted and very scenic, it took us just on three hours with a stop at Sam's hut and a lunch spot in an open meadow with pleasant views. We did goof on the signage but that was our fault. Another bonus is the proximity to town- only 10 kms of scenic highway. Not sure why the other Seniors from last year gave it such a bad review but trust us!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Henry D
Kingsville, Canada
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Best track in Queenstown!”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just a short drive down the gorgeous road to Glenorchy(take this road all the way for a super excursion), well signed. A challenging climb and pathway, beautiful views of the surrounding Lake Wakapitu, waterfalls, mountains. About 2/12 hr brisk

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Charlie499270
Sydney, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Nice nature walk”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I spent 3 days in Queenstown, and on the 2nd day I decided to to go for a short walk. I had read up on this walk before flying into NZ that it was very close to town, so I decided to add it to my itinerary.

It starts off approximately 10km from Queenstown (so it's not really that close to town if you're walking), I drove so it was a little easier for me. I parked my car at the car park on Glenorchy-Queenstown Road, the car park is located on the left side of the road if you are driving from Queenstown. I missed the car park, so I had to perform a u-turn in my vehicle.

It was a really sunny day when I started this walk, so I was really blessed with the weather. The track has many exposed areas, so I recommend taking a hat/cap, sunscreen, and plenty of water.

After crossing the first bridge, you will come across a fork in the track, one leads to the left and the other to the right. I figured that the track was a loop anyway, so taking either option was going to get me back here (I chose the track to the right).

The track has many little streams you need to cross, fortunately with the aid of some bridges.

I had 2 large blisters on both of my heels from my journey up to Roys Peak (a few days ago), however that didn't stop me from going on some more walks. This track has some steep areas, and I could really feel it on my blisters even after applying those trusty blister packs.

Sam Summers' Hut provided me with an excuse to stop and sit down to rest and have my lunch. There is a small water just behind the Hut. However be careful if you have kids going with you as well, as there are no fences sealing off the gorge created by the water.

The view from the top of this track is restricted, there wasn't a sweeping panorama of the area (maybe I wasn't looking in the correct direction).

I took about 5.5 hours to complete the track because I spent lots of time photographing streams and scenery.

Just a word of advice, the track is not suitable for prams. I saw a couple at the car park pushing a pram starting the walk, I was thinking hmmm .. this track must be well paved if a pram could go on it. Needless to say I saw the same couple 5 minutes after I started my walk heading back into the car park.

However if you're after a short walk, this one is pretty good. I wouldn't say it's a must do, but it's close enough to town for a half day walk.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank PhilofOZ
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Sam's Hut + waterfalls + views”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We are locals and we have walked this track a lot of times. It's our fav walk to walk visitors on. It can be a 2hr easy walk to Sam's Hut (old gold mining hut) and back on same track or continue on the loop for a 3hr return walk.

Take water and a picnic pack...

Visited September 2013