Copthorne Hotel & Apartments Queenstown Lakeview
Ranked #40 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Perth, Australia
“Great views!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great location, short walk from town, free parking for when hiring a car. Amazing views when the sun shines! Nice restaurant with good good. However, wifi is expensive and you don't get much time for what you pay for. Would stay again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Thai first
Foster City, California
Reviewed 26 April 2014

At first glance this hotel looks old and grungy but our lake view room on the 3rd floor was very spacious and quite clean. The bathroom has new fittings and is kept clean. The room was nice and big and had good drawer space and a good sized closet (but it smelled of musty wood so we didn't use it). There is a refrigerator in the room and a nice sitting area and a nice big balcony to look over the lake. The parking is free, the staff is quite nice and reasonably accomodating. It is a old hotel which still needs updating so the lobby is very old fashioned and the carpet in the room was also old. They still have an old fashioned key for the room. There is 24 hr self service laundry which is great and costs $3 only. There is another corpthorne (resort) which may be a better option b/c that one is right on the lake so in summer would be nice - we went in autumn when it was cold so the being on the lake doesn't really matter and this hotel was cheaper. The location is great because it's only a 10 min walk from the city center but so are most of the other hotels. The day manager Koah Le was very nice, knowledgeable and accomodating with all our requests. Given a choice again we would NOT stay here -- the Rydges or Copthorne resort is a better option.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a lake view room when staying here -- it's worth the money.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I had booked a lake view room with two queen beds. However at check in we were given a room with a view of the building opposite. I went back down to reception and pointed out my paperwork stated I was getting superior room with a "magnificent lake view", not a view of the building opposite the road. After a bit of muttering, I was given a room on the third floor, but when I got there, it only had one bed. I went back to reception pointing out we needed two beds, at which point the Check In manager said he could only give me the original room with the view of the building and did I mind ?. I told him I would accept it if there was no other alternative (being Easter weekend), but I would be making a formal complain to the Copthorne Management, as we were staying there for four nights and had specifically booked a lake view room with two queen beds which was not what we were being given. At this point a lady (head of housekeeping appeared ?) and had a quiet word with the check in manager, who then handed me a key without saying what was happening, to what turned out to be a room with a lake view and three beds, next to the room with one bed we had seen earlier. I felt very frustrated that I had to spend half an hour arguing just to get the room type that I had booked and was listed on the paperwork. There was not much space in the room with three beds and my husband suggested that we get the third one removed as it was a rollaway, but I didn't have the energy to face reception again. However about ten mins later, there was a knock on the door, and the same helpful lady appeared and offered to remove the bed to give us space, which we really ended up appreciating as a week is a long time in one room with a small child. She was really helpful and encouraged us to contact her if we needed any assistance with anything. I'm not sure who she was, but she was a great ambassador for customer service.

The hotel was fine, housekeeping was good, lots of toiletries, fresh towels and well cleaned. I paid $10 for wifi to Skype my mother to wish her happy birthday but found that the connection was too poor to maintain Skype for more than two or three seconds. The hotel is well located, it's about a ten min walk, but quite nice to have a walk after dinner anyway. There was free parking and an free inhouse spa that you could book. We needed a couple of things during our stay, extra tea bags, booking the spa and found the reception managers on those occasions to be very helpful and friendly. (diff people from when we checked in). When I checked out, I ended up with the same person as check in, although he was perfectly pleasant and friendly. I was a little frustrated however, as there was a female check in manager checking someone else in next to him, as I checked out and I heard her advising of various things including 20 mins daily complimentary wifi in the lobby - grrr. Would have been useful to know as we ended up buying coffees etc in cafes with wifi each day just to check weather/messages etc and 20 mins a day would have easily covered our needs. Our friends who had also booked to stay in the same place as us for the one night they were in QT, were phoned at 11pm the night before they arrived to be told they had been moved to a different hotel (the other Copthorne) due to overbooking - not great customer service and especially not at 11pm. In summary, hotel was fine and most of the staff were very helpful but after my check in experience and seeing our friends experience I would probably choose to stay somewhere else next time. Lots of other hotels with better views, nicer rooms for the same money outside of public holidays - just need to remember to book early for Easter!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pip_1973

Travellers are raving about these Queenstown hotels

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Our room was modern clean & well appointed with plenty of space, we had good lake views, Breakfast was good, it's a nice walk to the Centre of QT, or a short Taxi ride, The friendly & very helpful staff ensured we will stay here again on our next visit to QT.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed here last October for five nights and had a fantastic time, staff are always friendly and professional services and can not do enough to help. The views are absolutely stunning and the air is so clear, New Zealand is truly spectacular and if there is one place that you need to visit then this is the place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chris_davies777
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We went to Queenstown for our wedding anniversary and I wanted a guarantee of a room with a lake view - which was very difficult to get this over Easter Weekend. However, we lucked in with the Copthorne and had a great view over the lake. It was also really handy to the multitude of fantastic walks around Queenstown, as well as to the town centre itself - a ten minute walk. The rooms are really big and although not amazing decor, they were perfectly set up and had everything we needed. We arrived early and our room wasn't ready but they called us when the room was ready - great service. Front desk staff always very pleasant. Free wifi would have been nice but was quite nice to escape emails for the weekend! We tried to walk everywhere and occasionally it was a big difficult crossing the busy main road but we got pretty deft at picking the gaps in the traffic (most people slow for you anyway). High recommend this property and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a lakeview room - if visiting Queenstown it really is imperative.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 20 April 2014

After a very long drive from the glacier area on the West Coast, we were happy to drive into Queenstown and find the Copthorne. Actually, there are two, and we first went to the wrong one, on the same side as the water and crowded with a busload of tourists. We were glad to learn that ours was the other, across the street from the water, but more quiet and with a large room and balcony that gave us a beautiful view of the sunset over the water and the Remarkables. We loved our time there and had no complaints. The only reason for the 4 instead of the five is that it was more formal than other places we stayed, so not as warm in terms of owners helping with things to do. We wold return, though.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple