“Happy with the stay but it did not make the grade to an excellent rating”

Ranked #39 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Happy with the stay but it did not make the grade to an excellent rating”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed three nights this week. On arrival I found the reception staff to be surly and not welcoming at all. Far too casual, like a group of spoilt school boys, where is the professional approach, it was sadly lacking? I was totally unimpressed and disappointed. On returning one day I was met with, "How ya doin?" by the young male on reception, this is not good enough, train them up please to a better standard. This was not just one but two or three. For this I would rate 'very poor'. The reason I put 'very good' is because the room was okay and spotlessly clean and the breakfast was excellent, the best I have had at a hotel for some time. Plus the restaurant staff were courteous, welcoming and friendly as well as giving extra detail to their tasks. Let's hope for a little improvement in the areas I have mentioned for my next stay. A couple of room issues, the sliding door did not lock at all, both locks were faulty and it was only kept closed by the chain and the heating was a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Best rooms are above level one to get any view of the lake.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
JackieGuiney, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Apartments Queenstown Lakeview, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding you recent stay with us and we appreciate you bringing the service experiences you had within the hotel to our attention.
In regards to the maintenance issues within your room, these have been addressed and thank you for letting us.
We do hope that you enjoyed your time in Queenstown.

Copthorne Hotel & Apartments Queenstown Lakeview

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Thai first
Newhaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Had 2 nights here with family. The hotel is situated about a 10 - 15 minute walk away from the town centre. There is a bit of a climb coming back from town. The apartment was excellent on two levels with two bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs and a kitchen, living room and toilet on the lower level. We were on the top of 4 floors with balconies on both levels, each with spectacular views across the lake and mountains. There was a fully equipped kitchen and the rooms were all very clean and comfortable. The only real negative is the underground parking on site. The roof is low if you are getting luggage out of the car and the exit is very difficult to negotiate with a sharp walled bend and big dip from the driveway to the road. With a large car it was necessary to do several manoeuvres to get the car out of the car park with my wife watching the walls - and I drive cars all the time!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback, and we are delighted that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and in Queenstown.

EAST SUSSEX, UK
Reviewed 1 May 2014

With two nights in Queenstown, this hotel is conveniently located just a short walk from the town and a short transfer from the airport, It certainly does have excellent views of the lake.

Rooms were extremely comfortable and whilst the hotel was certainly adequate, I found nothing to get really agitated or enthusiastic about, which I suppose must be a negative.

Breakfast (which was on special offer) was good value at the reduced price. Never found the downstairs bar open but it did not look like the place that one would want to spend much time in.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel.
Please accept my apologies that you did not find the bar open, as it open from 5pm each evening.
We do hope you enjoyed your time in Queenstown and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great location, short walk from town, free parking for when hiring a car. Amazing views when the sun shines! Nice restaurant with good good. However, wifi is expensive and you don't get much time for what you pay for. Would stay again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Foster City, California
Reviewed 26 April 2014

At first glance this hotel looks old and grungy but our lake view room on the 3rd floor was very spacious and quite clean. The bathroom has new fittings and is kept clean. The room was nice and big and had good drawer space and a good sized closet (but it smelled of musty wood so we didn't use it). There is a refrigerator in the room and a nice sitting area and a nice big balcony to look over the lake. The parking is free, the staff is quite nice and reasonably accomodating. It is a old hotel which still needs updating so the lobby is very old fashioned and the carpet in the room was also old. They still have an old fashioned key for the room. There is 24 hr self service laundry which is great and costs $3 only. There is another corpthorne (resort) which may be a better option b/c that one is right on the lake so in summer would be nice - we went in autumn when it was cold so the being on the lake doesn't really matter and this hotel was cheaper. The location is great because it's only a 10 min walk from the city center but so are most of the other hotels. The day manager Koah Le was very nice, knowledgeable and accomodating with all our requests. Given a choice again we would NOT stay here -- the Rydges or Copthorne resort is a better option.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a lake view room when staying here -- it's worth the money.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I had booked a lake view room with two queen beds. However at check in we were given a room with a view of the building opposite. I went back down to reception and pointed out my paperwork stated I was getting superior room with a "magnificent lake view", not a view of the building opposite the road. After a bit of muttering, I was given a room on the third floor, but when I got there, it only had one bed. I went back to reception pointing out we needed two beds, at which point the Check In manager said he could only give me the original room with the view of the building and did I mind ?. I told him I would accept it if there was no other alternative (being Easter weekend), but I would be making a formal complain to the Copthorne Management, as we were staying there for four nights and had specifically booked a lake view room with two queen beds which was not what we were being given. At this point a lady (head of housekeeping appeared ?) and had a quiet word with the check in manager, who then handed me a key without saying what was happening, to what turned out to be a room with a lake view and three beds, next to the room with one bed we had seen earlier. I felt very frustrated that I had to spend half an hour arguing just to get the room type that I had booked and was listed on the paperwork. There was not much space in the room with three beds and my husband suggested that we get the third one removed as it was a rollaway, but I didn't have the energy to face reception again. However about ten mins later, there was a knock on the door, and the same helpful lady appeared and offered to remove the bed to give us space, which we really ended up appreciating as a week is a long time in one room with a small child. She was really helpful and encouraged us to contact her if we needed any assistance with anything. I'm not sure who she was, but she was a great ambassador for customer service.

The hotel was fine, housekeeping was good, lots of toiletries, fresh towels and well cleaned. I paid $10 for wifi to Skype my mother to wish her happy birthday but found that the connection was too poor to maintain Skype for more than two or three seconds. The hotel is well located, it's about a ten min walk, but quite nice to have a walk after dinner anyway. There was free parking and an free inhouse spa that you could book. We needed a couple of things during our stay, extra tea bags, booking the spa and found the reception managers on those occasions to be very helpful and friendly. (diff people from when we checked in). When I checked out, I ended up with the same person as check in, although he was perfectly pleasant and friendly. I was a little frustrated however, as there was a female check in manager checking someone else in next to him, as I checked out and I heard her advising of various things including 20 mins daily complimentary wifi in the lobby - grrr. Would have been useful to know as we ended up buying coffees etc in cafes with wifi each day just to check weather/messages etc and 20 mins a day would have easily covered our needs. Our friends who had also booked to stay in the same place as us for the one night they were in QT, were phoned at 11pm the night before they arrived to be told they had been moved to a different hotel (the other Copthorne) due to overbooking - not great customer service and especially not at 11pm. In summary, hotel was fine and most of the staff were very helpful but after my check in experience and seeing our friends experience I would probably choose to stay somewhere else next time. Lots of other hotels with better views, nicer rooms for the same money outside of public holidays - just need to remember to book early for Easter!

1 Thank Pip_1973

Travellers are raving about these Queenstown hotels

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Our room was modern clean & well appointed with plenty of space, we had good lake views, Breakfast was good, it's a nice walk to the Centre of QT, or a short Taxi ride, The friendly & very helpful staff ensured we will stay here again on our next visit to QT.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple