“Room with a view!”

Ranked #42 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed this hotel for 3 nights in April at Easter. It was very comfortable and the room was huge. Everything was clean and tidy and warm. I had a great view - so lovely to wake up to. Wifi was down while I was there, which was inconvenient. When working, there was free wifi in the lobby. Easy walk to the centre of town, but a huge hill to walk back up on the way home. I enjoyed my time here and would definitely stay again. Queenstown is just so beautiful!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 June 2014

After having stayed a number of times at the other Copthorne 100m down the road, I was keen to try this property. The rooms are fairly newly renovated and a really good size. A desk, king bed, kitchenette, seating area and large deck with beautiful views. I will however return to the other Copthorne next time solely based on the fact it was very cold in the room. Being an older property I'm not sure there's much insulation between the gib and the block wall on either side. There was one small heater which we kept on to try and warm the place up after waking in the morning to a freezing cold room but the cleaners turned it off while servicing the room and opened the window so it was even colder when we got back. The rest of the hotel is very 70s, corridors are quite dated, walls chipped, carpets stained. The entire hotel could do with a face-lift but I do appreciate this is a huge cost. Overall for $128 a night (room only) in Queenstown with a 5-10min walk into the main shopping area, I think its good value for money. I have stayed at Peppers and Rydges before and paid between $200-250 a night and the only difference I can really see is that its on the lake. For me, saving approx $100 a night and still having a clean, modern room with lake rooms is well worth it - I certainly don't mind a short walk for that kind of saving.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are restricted for the view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel had by far the biggest rooms I had seen in any hotel in New Zealand. Had a ground floor room, with a 10 step walk to the car park made it very convenient for me to go in and come out every time. It indeed is a lake view hotel, although avoid rooms on the ground floor because there are trees in an around the area which obstruct the view and constant coming and going of pedestrians.
The hotel is decent and nice with clean rooms, toilets and laundry.
It is however a good 15-20 min walk from the town area of which 5 min is a very steep downhill walk (which is difficult when you are on the way back to the hotel)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Nice hotel within waking distance of downtown. Great views; try to stay on a high floor for best views. Bathrooms very clean and recently renovated, but rooms could use some sprucing up. Definitely need some new pillows. Some road noise on lower floors because hotel is on main road.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and less road noise. Don't stay on first floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Edlewusa
JackieGuiney, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Apartments Queenstown Lakeview, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and you time in Queenstown and had time to enjoy the wonderful views the hotel has to offer.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed three nights in this hotel and I think overall it was just ok. Nothing special during the check in process, the room was big with balcony and beautiful lake view. But the chair and table in the balcony were a bit torn down and rusty. The hotel is located about 10-15 minutes walking to city center. You need to pay more for wifi. If you choose this hotel, try to ask higher floor as I believe it has better view.

Room Tip: Higher floors have more beautiful lake view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and in Queenstown, and I am pleased to let you know that the hotel has recently purchased new balcony furniture which will be arriving in a few weeks.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Had an amazing stay here. We stayed during September 2013, so yes I do know that this review is well overdue :) . What a absolute beautiful stay we had. The staff are wonderful, helpful, efficient and friendly.

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment, 2 floors, the rooms were upstairs with the main bedroom having an ensuite and balcony, and the second bedroom although we had requested a double bed when we booked, which had been confirmed with an email unfortunately had 2 single beds instead. Thankfully the person staying in the room wasn't too upset about it, so we didn't mention it to the staff. The kitchen was well equipped. Comfortable lounge the only small complaint it would've be great if they had a DVD player, due to wet weather we were stuck inside for a day and would've liked to of been able to watch a DVD. Not really a complaint just would've been a nice option for bad weather.

The best thing about the Copthorne is the view. Wow amazing, beautiful views of the lake and the mountains, we were lucky enough to see the snow on top of the mountains as our last night there it decided to snow. Even in the wet weather we would still go out on the balcony and stare at the view.

The Copthorne is situated quite close to town, airport and shops. If you get a chance take the steamboat TSS. Earnslaw over to Walter Peak Farm. Great day out. The front desk at the Copthorne is more than happy to organise it for you, including transfers there if needed.

When we decide on another trip to Queenstown we will definitely stay at the Copthorne again.

Thanks Copthorne for an amazing stay :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
JackieGuiney, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Apartments Queenstown Lakeview, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding you stay with us in September 2013.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our Apartments and appreciate your comments regarding the room. The hotel does offer an in room movie selection that can be purchased through our TV system and this is the reason that we do not offer DVD players in our Apartments.
We would love to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you are back in our wonderful destination.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed three nights this week. On arrival I found the reception staff to be surly and not welcoming at all. Far too casual, like a group of spoilt school boys, where is the professional approach, it was sadly lacking? I was totally unimpressed and disappointed. On returning one day I was met with, "How ya doin?" by the young male on reception, this is not good enough, train them up please to a better standard. This was not just one but two or three. For this I would rate 'very poor'. The reason I put 'very good' is because the room was okay and spotlessly clean and the breakfast was excellent, the best I have had at a hotel for some time. Plus the restaurant staff were courteous, welcoming and friendly as well as giving extra detail to their tasks. Let's hope for a little improvement in the areas I have mentioned for my next stay. A couple of room issues, the sliding door did not lock at all, both locks were faulty and it was only kept closed by the chain and the heating was a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Best rooms are above level one to get any view of the lake.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your comments regarding you recent stay with us and we appreciate you bringing the service experiences you had within the hotel to our attention.
In regards to the maintenance issues within your room, these have been addressed and thank you for letting us.
We do hope that you enjoyed your time in Queenstown.