“Best customer service ever encountered”

Copthorne Hotel & Apartments Queenstown Lakeview
Ranked #42 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 27 April 2010

We travelled to Queenstown over Easter, we found the hotel to be a little out of town but there is a bus across the road and it is a 10-15 minute walk which was no problem, our room was on the 3rd floor and had a wonderful view over the lake in front and to the Remarkables to the left, the rooms themselves are old but very clean and comfortable. The staff at the hotel were wonderful, they went out of their way to make sure that our stay was one we will never forget, the food in the restaurant was also very good as was their room service, their Lamb Shanks the best I have had and I have had a lot of them in NZ, we would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel & Apartments Queenstown Lakeview

Reviewed 13 April 2010

This place has no idea about OH&S! Stayed for 6 nights at this hotel; in January, 2010 and had a room on the top floor. The balcony had recently been sealed with a sealant one often uses when waterproofing a shower. Not really suitable for a balcony as it was very slippery. I slipped in a pool of water on the balcony and not only twisted my ankle but broke a bone in my foot.
I feel that Kingsgate were negligent. - but they don't. There was a blocked drain on the balcony stopping water from getting away and no sign warning guests that balcony could be slippery when wet.
Kingsgate have wiped their hands on any compensation - don't want to know us. Very poor after injury concern. Our holiday was ruined. They have referred us to our travel insurer but travel insurance only covers medical expenses and lost tour money. Traveller beware.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SydneyKristinec
Management response:Responded 6 May 2010

Thank you for your feedback - we wish to advise that the exterior of the hotel was painted recently and the product used on our balconies is by Equus Industries, they are the leader in their field in NZ and Australia and the product is specifically used for exterior balconies. We also have stringent Health and Safety policies and procedures and we are accreditted by the ACC.

Reviewed 19 February 2010

I traveled here early February with my partner and stayed for 3 nights. On the second day my partner was tidying up the bed and picked up a pillow and immediately through it down. He asked if I had a blood nose or anything. I looked at the pillow and couldn't believe my eyes. There was blood all over the pillowcase and seeped right through to the pillow. It was NOT our blood. I was disgusted. On the otherside of the pillow that I had slept on for the last two nights it was covered in someone else's blood. Disgusting. I took it down to the reception where I spoke to the Manager on Duty. She was shocked and apologetic and offered me a free breakfast in the morning. Whiptee whoo. I would not stay here again and I also work as a Manager of a Travel Agency and I would not recommend this hotel to any of my clients. A hotel that cannot even get their Health and Safety standards up to scratch should not be in operation.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank melnboy
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I had to sit in the lobby to use their wireless internet, and it was the most expensive internet that I have encountered in NZ, including much nicer hotels!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank irislover04
Reviewed 9 January 2010

We stayed at the Kingsgate Hotel in October with my brother and his partner. We had a two bedroom apartment, with two separate bathrooms.

The first thing you notice is the view from the balconies (ours had two balconies - one downstairs off the living area and one upstairs off the main bedroom). It's a lovely view of the lake, off to the Remarkables and in to Queenstown itself. One downside is that it's on the opposite side of the road to the lake - so between you and the view is the busy main road into town. But it doesn't detract from the view too much.

The next thing I noticed is that the Hotel is a bit dated. It's a bit 90's, but still clean with everything in working order including the kitchen, which is great if you're staying a few days at least. The second bathroom (for the second bedroom) was a bit old fashioned and stuffy, but again clean enough.

The walk into town takes around 15 minutes, but it's mostly downhill (on the way in!).

The thing we loved most was Happy Hour between 5pm and 7pm where it's 2-for-1 cocktails (and the cocktails were already great value).

Overall it's worthwhile if you're looking for good value, a nice view, and don't mind a little walk into town and dated decor.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Travels_Together
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Stayed in this hotel whilst travelling around the country, and found it to be comfortable and quiet. First impressions were certainly helped by opening the room door to be faced with patio doors framing the mountains across the lake.

Queenstown has a lively restaurant/bar scene, so we found the location to be an ideal compromise. It is only a few (uphill) blocks from the town centre; close enough to walk, far enough to avoid the crowds.

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank Stewable
Reviewed 18 September 2009

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel in March 2009 as part of a package tour of New Zealand and Australia, so cannot comment on the room cost but can make observations on the facilities etc and compare it to all the other 'same-standard' 3* or so hotels I stayed in.

The hotel is located on a busy main street in a residential area on the outer edge of the town. It is a bit of a trek to the town centre, and involves a hill-climb on the return leg, but rooms above the 1st floor enjoy good views over the bay area and their own 'terrace' (ie balcony !) - you can't have both conveniences really....

Overall, the hotel was good with no significant negative points, with all the expected room facilities and cleanliness, but I would consider it more of a motel than a hotel. The bathroom had a bath (some hotel bathrooms don't !) but was a bit tatty, there was no aircon but there was a wall fan heater. A wide-array of furniture was in the room, some of which was OK for re-locating onto the terrace area if you wanted to enjoy an outside lounge looking over the bay (but accompanied by the near constant road noise and commotion from local residents...). It should be noted that as the room frontage is towards the road there is zero privacy unless you have the curtains closed and the glass in the sliding doors to the terrace is only single pane = a lack of noise insulation.

The is only 1 lift for each of the 2 sides but as there are not too many rooms or floors it rarely got too busy. The layout of the hotel is long and thin, with all rooms facing out to those views I mentioned earlier. There was a dining room and bar, but try as I might I could not obtain the advertised bar snacks....The limited reception staff were often AWOL and the reception area as a whole quite small - not good when a large group arrives all at once.

The breakfast buffet was fine, with a reasonable choice of foodstuffs but eggs 'cooked-to-order' (something I like a lot) required a special request which, whilst achieved, I felt was done with some reluctance.

This a perfectly acceptable hotel for a stay in Queenstown offering what is probably the best balance of location to the town centre versus views, although the noisy main road location was a bit of a downer. I would not stay here solely for the accommodation but it would be fine as a base for daily excursions.

• Stayed: March 2009