“Home away from home”

Ranked #3 of 43 Queenstown B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This accomdation must be one of the best value deals in Queenstown. This kiwi run establishment has amazing, friendly and accomodating staff and clean, warm rooms with super comfy beds. The breakfasts are nutritious and fulling (cereal, fresh fruit and toast) and are served in a dining room that must have one of the best views in Qtown. The location above town means the rooms are quiet, however, its only a 5 min walk till your in the centre of things if your looking for a bit of noise! Even the airport shuttle driver confirmed I had made a good choice when she dropped me off.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TravellerAotearoa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Korean first
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2014

To the staff at Melbourne lodge a big Thank You the service was fantastic, we were passing through Queenstown in early january, had no booking and were a family of 4,the assistance and service we received was great and wont be forgotten .the apartment room was perfect for our family, fairly priced, definaitely comfortable n' relaxing,and with only a short walk to town we couldn't have asked for better.After spending @ 6+ months a yr living away from home and I find a place you can feel comfortable and relaxed in... well when we return to NZ for another break we'll be back!

Room Tip: cant go past a room with a view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Pembroke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This place grew on me. We stayed here for two nights in January 2014. My initial impression was not good when I was greeted with quite a musty, warm smell in reception. Staff were friendly, however and made us feel welcome. The room had been newly decorated and furnished and it is clear to see that the owners are making an effort to improve. The room had an iron and ironing board, fridge etc. There was only a shower in the bathroom and it was very small. The restaurant area and guest lounge were delightful, with an outlook across to the lake in the distance. The breakfast was great, lots of choice and served by a charismatic young man who was very attentive. Free wi-fi facility for a set period. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the centre of town, but the uphill walk on the way back was a struggle for me. Also security seemed a little lax at the hotel with the main doors left open. But generally a positive experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Esperance
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Our stay was great. It was clean and the bathroom was redone. 5 min walk to the town centre. Spacious room for two adults and two kids. Parking available and staff friendly and helpful. Would happily stay there again. Have recommended to some friends who are coming this year. Booked through I-site. View from living and breakfast room is lovely.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We (me and my wife) got there through reservation center in downtown Queenstown. Everything was fully booked in town and that was the only option available (maybe for a reason?). It is a very average motel with some poor breakfast ( some cornflakes with milk ) to make it a B&B. The part that made the experience awful is the following: we check in on December 27th around 4 pm and we get out half an hour later after a quick shower keen to see the famous Queenstown. The lady at the reception collects back or keys and ask us if she can do something for us; we thanks her and we say we are ok and we get out. At 10.30 pm we come back and here comes the surprise: reception is closed and locked ; no one around, no signs , there is a bell but no one shows up. We spend 1 hour desperately looking for a solution and browsing around; some other guest comes out and try to help but they tell us no one would probably come till morning; we get really worried because we don't want to spend the night on the sofa of the reception in a completely un guarded place. Than some other guest comes out from his room and tells us there is an emergency number we can call; we do it and after an other 15 minutes or more waiting the same lady we met at the reception shows up; she is annoyed and she gives us the keys complaining that we should have taken them with us. I observe that she didn't tell us when we gave her the keys and it was not written anywhere. Than she gets nervous and in a even more rude way she tells us to go and check the compendium book in the room (you know the black book is always on some drawer in the room..), where at page n. office hours are reported. At this point I get really disappointed and I tell her this is not serious and I have never experienced anything like this even in the most underdeveloped and remote parts of the world. And here comes the even more incredible part. The lady gets really excited and emotional and start yelling at me that I am verbally abusing her and we have to leave the hotel immediately. Than I understand that something is probably wrong with her and I try to calm her down and make her understand that this is not an option at midnight in a fully booked city and without a car; than she says "I will call the police" and she does it. 20 minutes later 2 policemen arrive at the lobby probably expecting to have to deal some drunk trouble maker but they only find a excited old lady with a uncontrolled verbal diarrhea and a quiet couple sitting on a sofa regretting the time they checked in that weird place. Than things of course go back to a normal course and , with the mediation of police officers we accept to apologize (apologize!?) with the agitated lady just in order to be allowed to go back to our room and get some sleep. My morale of the story is simply that people who runs hotels or are in contact with public should have a different approach and they should cope with their emotional problems at personal level or do something different; other remarkable thing was the absolute lack of information and security in the place: front and back doors open and accessible from both sides, so video surveillance, doors of kitchen, common areas, and even some of the not occupied rooms left open. I understand New Zeland is a low crime country but maybe this is a bit too much.

Emanuele Bassanini
Hong Kong

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bassa72
arrowtownpub, Owner at Melbourne Lodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
On Dec 27th at 11pm I received a call form a very hostile guest who had left his key on the reception desk by mistake when he left, to go down town. I did not notice this at the time as I was checking in a full house.I was in reception within 1 & half minutes flat from the phone call ,I timed it because I knew he was trouble. When I met him in reception I encountered an explosive , abusive male making all sorts of threats and angry advances toward me &, swinging his arms I retreated behind the office grill as I became concerned for my safety and the safety of other guests.I do not know how much he had to drink but tried to explain to him there is a Large notice with 3 emergency numbers which is actually srewed to the desk beside the phone, onsite management & a Compendium in his room with all the information you need to cover just about every imaginable possibility. He denied having a compendium in his room and stormed off with his wife to the room. 1 minute later he was back with the compendium and threw it at me behind reception and demanded me to show him where it says office hours close at 8pm, at this time I called the police to restrain him. the police officer stayed on the phone until the police arrived , who tried to calm him down, it was only when Police turned to me and asked me if I wanted to have them and their belongings removed to the street, with a restraining order and trespass notice, explaining he would be arrested if he entered the property. He was shocked and said you can,t do that and the police turned to him and said yes she can as the owner occupier of the house, Something I didn,t know. He then apologised for his behaviour and told the police he would go quietly to his room, but a verbal apology would not suffice , A written apology was asked for or he would be evicted in the morning. He agreed and went to bed..He handwrote the note which was witnessed and signed by management staff but a bubbling volcano was just underneath the surface. He threatened to write this sort of rubbish as retaliation so we were expecting it, it is a shame that a person with such severe behaviour problems shown on the night over simple things easily rectified, would try to blacken the ETREMELY GOOD NAME OF THE LODGE JUST TO GET EVEN.but we were expecting it. We have entertained over 800 Fabulous guests over the 10 day holiday period most of whom wrote wonderfull honest reviews so thankyou to them all. I guess 1 rotten apple amoungst so many fabulous guests could be expected. I make no apology for putting the safety of myself and other guests 1st. By the way he lied about breakfast. here is what we served through the xmas & new Year break. Toasted museli,Sultana bran, Cornflakes.Ricebubbles, Fresh local Otago fruit renowned for its award winning flavours,Canned Tropical fruit,peaches, Pears, Black doris Plums, Xmas Cherries, Yoghurt,Croissants,Christmas Fruit tarts dusted with icing sugar, Orange Juice, Apple juice, Herbal teas,Coffee & toast and all with a smile. As one of the last remaining Budget Bed & Breakfast 2 minutes from town the demand for the rooms has trebled now that the current renovations have been completed. Its such a fabulous complex now with the most amazing staff.
Cis Walker: Owner
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband and I booked for a week over New Year`s Day only because the hotels we had in a short list were already booked, but it worked out really well for us.
Our room was a very decent size, bathroom, coffee table and two armchairs, with a small balcony, T.V./DVD and 60 minutes free internet use a day, which we took full advantage of. The continental breakfast was more than adequate and set us up well for the day. Plus there is a fantastic view from the guest lounge & deck, which was great to look at as you eat your food.
It takes less than 5 minutes to walk into town, but there is a steep hill to walk up to go back to the hotel. Having said that, I have asthma issues and I managed okay taking the uphill walk easy and not trying to rush.
The staff were all very friendly, welcoming and always ready to help in any way they can. We looked through all the leaflets we picked up in reception and were able to book everything we wanted to do at reception. We appreciated all the advice and recommendations the staff gave us.
We were very happy with our visit and I hope to take my sisters there when they visit from the UK next January.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sara W
Landshut, Germany
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed in Queenstown for 3 nights and i am really glad that i found this place. For me as a young traveler this is definitely that best place i stayed in so far. The staff is very friendly and has very good tips how you can spend your days in Queenstown. The location is amazing as it is just a 2 minute walk to the town center. And because its a bit up on Queenstown Hill you get amazing views over the whole area from the deck. Because my family is also interested to visit Queenstown i asked them if they could show me some more rooms. And the variation of the rooms is huge. You can get everything from single rooms to big family units and all the beds are new!!!
For me as a young guy its very important that i get a good breakfast in the morning and this one is better that i expected. It is all you get eat with fresh fruits, toast, coffee, good cereals and a very friendly service.
Secret tip for everyone who wants to get a lot out of the money that you spend!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo