“not bad... nothing special.”

Millennium Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #32 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 21 January 2014

my husband and i stayed here for three nights while we were visiting queenstown. the room was clean, and the bed was comfortable, but it was nothing special. we got put in a room at the very back of the hotel that was not convenient for either the parking structure or the front desk, with no view whatsoever. parking was $25/night, which we weren't aware of until we got there. if you're just looking for a place to sleep at night while you get out and have fun during the day, this will work.

(be sure to stop by the activities desk... the guy there, "max" was SO friendly and very helpful. chatting with him was the highlight of our time at this hotel)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dinesh G, Manager at Millennium Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Hi Whitcard,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. It is our pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay but disappointed to hear about the room allocation. Our Front Desk Team would have been happy to find another room with better location had you brought this to their attention. I am glad that you mentioned about Maxime, who is a great team member and have always impressed our guests with his customer service.
The parking charge is $ 10.00 per night and I apologise as your were not aware of this prior to your arrival. This information is available on all the websites and is with all the Travel agents as well. Can I please request you to contact me at millennium.queenstown@millenniumhotels.com with your booking name and number so I can investigate further. Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I was reading some of the other reviews and I just can't relate to some of the positive comments. I rarely write reviews and our family is not that hard to please, but our experience at this hotel was so poor that I felt compelled to write something. We did not find the hotel to be well maintained ... there were lamps in our rooms that did not work and what's worse they didn't even seem to have switches where you could turn them on. The bath mats were moldy. The lady at the front desk was rude and unhelpful at check in. We needed help finding parking and she couldn't care less if we parked on the street or elsewhere. There was no bell staff anywhere to be seen to help us with our bags. We made our reservations months in advance and were not informed there was an upcharge for the use of the credit card ... nothing was on their website or on the reservation materials. However, we were informed at check in that they had changed their policy and we would be charged an extra 1.5% on our bill. We protested to the manager but he played the "I just work here and do what I'm told" game. I have a real problem with this as they are not really honoring the use of the credit card with such a policy ... I can't understand how Visa or Mastercharge let them do this as I have understood it to be inconsistent with their retailer agreements. I could go on, but I think you get the message. This hotel is not well run and I would avoid it, particularly when you consider the prices that they charge.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank James H
Dinesh G, Manager at Millennium Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Hi James H,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I have contacted you via email and look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed here over New Year on a recent trip around the South Island. Whilst this hotel was the most expensive it was not the best value for money compared others we stayed in. The room was a good size and the bed very comfortable but the bathroom was dated and the rubber bath mat recommended for use was actually mouldy. I would agree with three comments made by previous reviewers. Firstly the issue of location and the hilly climb back from town. I notice that the are several references by management about the shuttle bus but it was not made known to us when we were there and by the number of people making similar comments it would appear it had not been apparent to others either. Secondly having paid a considerable tariff it was a disappointment to have to pay further for parking. Thirdly why was it that the Millennium found it necessary to charge for internet usage. Every other hotel we stayed in provided limited internet usage free of charge. Similarly many cafes and restaurants also now provide this service. We did not have any contact with staff other than check in and check out. Desk staff were not particularly welcoming but it was a rather busy time. On the second day of our stay our room had not been made up at around 1pm when we returned to it the first time and was in the process of being made up when we returned at 4pm for a rest. These issues may not be serious but given the premium price we paid it was disappointing to find the Millennium the least satisfying and yet most expensive hotel we stayed in in NZ. A satisfaction survey was left under our door, which we completed and returned on check out. Two days later we received an obviously automated email requesting feedback about our stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dinesh G, Manager at Millennium Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Hi Terlingham,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I appreciate your feedback as it has highlighted the concerns that needs attention. This will help us to bring consistency to ensure that all our guests receive similar standard of service and information.

We do offer complimentary internet once every 24 hours for 20 minutes or 20 MB after which guest is encouraged to purchase extra data.

Please be assured that conerns you have highlighted will be worked on as we hope to give you a better expereince on your next stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Millennium Hotel Queenstown.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had a fantastic stay here in late Autumn. As other reviews note, many of the rooms face inward overlooking the courtyard, but if you book the right room there is a stunning view of the snowcapped mountains. We had such a room.
The breakfast is good and staff were exceptionally friendly and professional.
The hotel is situated higher up on the hill from the main town centre at the lake's edge, so walks back from town can be "puffy" if you've had a few too many drinks or are not wearing suitable footwear.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Dinesh G, Manager at Millennium Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Hi Bisschoff,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

We are glad to hear about your experience and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

You are correct that walking up the hill could be tiring hence we usually recommend our guest to use the hotel shuttle.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Millennium Hotel Queenstown.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Everything there was perfect! The service was amazing! I remember the person at the counter for signing up for activities helped is for and hour because we couldn't decide what to do! The bedrooms were nice and i felt safe. What i think is, if a hotel is very good they should have cards to unlock the bedroom doors. For once i actually felt relaxed in this hotel! They also have a very nice buffet! my stay here was amazing and i hope to go back some time!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Hi Helen L,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay.

It is always pleasing to hear positive feedback from our guests regarding our services and facilities. It is with your feedback that we continue to do a great job.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Millennium Queenstown.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Good hotel, location a bit of a freckles up hill but there is a short cut. Shame a load of the rooms face internally rather than maximising stunning local scenery. My big gripe about his chain across NZ is their policy on charging for internet use at around 68 cents a minute with a $25 cap and a maximum data allowance. This is charged per device. In this modern day of communications this is unacceptable and means I would choose never to stay with this chain in NZ in future. I stayed in around 10 different accommodations across NZ both better and lower quality and never had the same issue. What a shame.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that isn't internally facing
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dinesh G, Manager at Millennium Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Hi Jimboblondan,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your overall stay. Due to the location of the hotel and being surrounded by other buildings, it is a shame that our rooms do not look to the beautiful scenery that Queenstown has to offer.

Our guest find our shuttle to town handy that runs every hour on the hour betweeb 9 am until 9 pm. I appreciate your comments regarding internet and will certainly escalate them to our higher management.

We look forward to welcominng you back to Millennium Hotel Queenstown on your next visit.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Older style hotel, quieter than staying in the centre of town, easy access into town and lake. A bit of a walk up hill to get back but good exercise.
We had asked to two rooms close to one another - I booked in June for a 2 night stay so they had plenty of time to organise.
Very limited on site secure car parking. It should come with the room at no charge (not $10) per day.
Limited tv channels and even motels have free sky.
Probably would not stay there again. Lots of others to choose from.

Room Tip: More choice and free sky Dont charge for car space in hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Maree,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am disppointed to hear that your rooms were not allocated close to each other and will discuss the same with our reservations team. We offer a shuttle to town which runs every hour on the hour from 9 am until 9 pm. This is very handy for our guests who like myself find walking up the hill tiring.

We have Sky Business Package available at Millennium Queenstown which unfortunatley offers 12 channels. Most of the hotels in Queenstown offer the same package.

I still hope that you will consider Millennium Hotel Queenstown for your next visit.