“Very disappointing”

Nugget Point Queenstown Hotel
Ranked #29 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 26 December 2012

The previous comments from Charlotte in New Zealand are very apt as the hotel has lots of potential but needs some money spent on it and some TLC.

The hotel is about 5 miles outside of the town centre and therefore slightly cheaper than those in town. We’d arranged a meet and greet service with the local taxi firm and it cost us $80 from the airport to the hotel, which is known by both its new name, Distinction, and its old name - Nuggett Point Hotel.

The hotel gives the impression of a perfect elegant hotel but there are a few flaws which start to appear as your stay progresses. The biggest of these was the failure of an early morning call – fortunately we were awake in time or we might otherwise have missed our trip to Milford Sound.

The Staff are very helpful and friendly and our 3-night stay entitled us to an upgrade to a river view suite. When we arrived we were shown around the spa and the hotel and the room was very spacious and well-appointed. The view from our balcony over the shotover river was fabulous. Our room was on the first floor and there is no lift and no porters so we had to struggle with our bags up the stairs.

The hotel has a really nice Spa but the sauna wasn’t very hot and the Jacuzzi wasn’t working. We also found that the hairdryer in the room’s en-suite didn’t work. Dinner was excellent but Breakfast was disorganised (and at an extra cost) and they were slow to replenish items so I had to ask for more butter and hot water and some of the pastries were undercooked so they were inedible. There is no dress code but the main dining room which is used for Dinner is very majestic and it’s disappointing when you dress up for dinner to find that a Japanese family is allowed to wander in wearing football shorts, a sleeveless tee-shirt and flip flops.

There is a bus stop right outside the hotel and the local bus into Queenstown operates every 30-60 minutes, costing $8 for a return ticket. We also found that the tours were happy to pick up from the hotel.

Room Cleaning was not as you’d expect as my Wife dropped a complimentary body lotion in the bathroom and the contents were still on the floor 3 days later. On packing our cases we found a set of paperwork under the suitcase holder from a guest who had stayed in the room 3 months earlier!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 310
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmwicks9

Reviewed 4 December 2012

This is a nice enough hotel - as previous reviewers have mentioned, nicely decorated and spacious rooms. The location is a little out of town (about a 5 minute drive) but personally I prefer that and it's in a beautiful setting overlooking the river. Ok, so why only 3 stars? Well, this hotel lacks the little extras you expect when you book a luxury boutique hotel! My complaints are...

1.) Breakfast, in my opinion, was below average. When I purchase a 'bed and breakfast' room rate I expect just that - in this case it was only breakfast buffet available and the menu was extra. Most frustrating of all being the coffee, which was average filter coffee served in tiny little cups. Decent coffee off the menu was $4.50 extra! The toaster is from the dark ages and waiting 10 minutes every morning for my bread to brown grew old quite quickly. Also the fruit was tinned rather than fresh. These maybe seen as minor things but when you book a 'luxury boutique hotel' I guess you do expect a little more.

2.) Room - When we first arrived to our room, there was a pair of DVT stockings in one of the draws in the room. These, I presume, belonged to the previous guest (and no older I hope!), which leaves me concerned about the standard of cleaning at the hotel.

3.) Restaurant - biggest disappointment of all! The service was disappointing to say the least. The young man that served us asked my husband four times which beer he’d ordered (it was off the drinks menu) before finally coming to the conclusion that they didn’t have it. He was fairly polite but practically dropped the plates in front of us when serving. The starter was tasty and came out promptly. However, we then waited an hour for our main course to arrive. During this time no one came over to explain or apologise. Once the meals did arrive they were disappointingly average. Although edible, my salmon was rather bland and my husband's filet steak was completely overdone. Definitely not what I was expecting for an 'al e carte' meal.

4.) The Spa - Although very pleasant and friendly to myself during my treatments on the Sunday – the staff were rude to my husband when he used the showers and sauna in there. He was asked rather sharply to turn off the shower and to have respect for the guests who were going to be using the facilities. This seemed very unfair as he too was a paying guest and entitled to use all the facilities.

I voiced all my complaints on check-out but the receptionist was uninterested and advised me to write into the manager which I have already done.
Overall, it’s an average hotel presenting itself as boutique. If you get an internet bargain it’s probably worth a stay – don’t pay full whack though or you’ll be sorely disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CharlotteJamie
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Fantastic location, views from the room over the shot over river. Rooms a little tired, but still acceptable. The hotel needs a bit of a overhaul, very English in style. The spa facilities are fantastic! Beautiful overall, the treatments of massage and facial were superb! Great facilities of spa and media room, accommodating staff with pop corn, drinks and dinner while watching movie. Lovely full breakfast just a shame it wasn't in the dining room with the views! Could work on reception staff being more friendly as expecting a bit more insight into customer service upon arrival esp with a boutique hotel, need more attention to making customers feel really at home. a bit disappointed that they knew it was my mums 70 th but no acknowledgement or anything little that could have made it special. Anyhow would stay again as loved it overall! Thanks to some of the staff being friendly and making the time to chat and go the extra mile.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Slightly out of town but the feeling is wonderful! Upon arrival, the general manager greeted our group of 8 and offered to help the ladies with their luggage. What a gentleman! Friendly and helpful staff who helped to book the tandem skydive at the very last minute for an early morning jump. Breakfast has a good range and the food is delicious. All except that the coffee ran out. They provide a spa that offered sauna, steam room, hot tub, swimming pool and a hot pool. All inclusive. It's worth the 7 minute drive to Queenstown.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 23 November 2012

The hot water didn't work in our room for 2 days, once we told the manager they sorted as soon as they could and let us shower in the spa downstairs. They seemed to be surprised by the problem but I see from other reviews this has happened before. I also see from other reviews guests in the past were offered 50% off their room rate. I was given a free drink and a discount at the spa and I had to ask for this.

The room are beautiful, the views are stunning, the pool is great. If they sorted out the hot water issue I would stay here again.

A few things they could make better e.g. better quality toilet paper its probably the cheapest I've ever come across, upgrading beds instead of pushing two singles together. These are small issues that take the shine off what is an beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: We were in room 304, had a great view of the river and plenty of privacy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2012

If you want/need to be close to Queenstown, don't stay here. If aprox 8 minutes by car is OK, read on.
I stayed with my wife for a 'weekend away'. First impressions were pretty good. Quite 'grand', with some amazing artwork and beautiful gardens. Pretty reasonably priced (it has to be because of the distance from Queenstown). However after a walk round and game of tennis, it was pretty apparent the whole place really needs a bit of an overhaul - pretty near end to end.
Pros: Big well appointed rooms, quite homely. Tremendous views down to the Shotover river. Friendly, helpful staff. Pretty quiet rooms. Tennis, squash, gym etc. included in room rate.
Con's: Need's s fair amount of money spent on it. Needs an upgrade to the hot water system because if you shower after 9am (when busy) your shower will be cold (I know!! hard to believe these days).

Room Tip: Worth a stay if your OK with my comments. If you stay in the Garden View rooms, get top floor, as lo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We'd never visited Queenstown before and it wasn't really our kind of place (in fact we deliberately thought of things to do outside the main township) so it was nice that the hotel we'd booked was at Distinction Point, a little way out of town. Not so good if you don't have a car - we saw a couple of fellow guests trying to walk to Queenstown in hideous weather and it is just not nice! So best to stay in town if you want to be able to walk to the shops/attractions etc.

We were welcomed thoroughly and in a friendly and efficient manner.

I should mention we stayed at this hotel only because we got a really good online deal - we would not have paid full price as it is not the kind of price range we go for in accommodation.

Our deal included one night's dinner at the restaurant. The food was okay. I got Southland Venison which should have been served rare but it was well done which was a little disappointing. My husband was relatively unimpressed with his salmon main. The desserts were nice. I would have mentioned to the staff about the venison had I been able to get a word in edgeways (the same man who welcomed us at the front desk was helping out in the restaurant and he was very loud and talkative).

Also breakfast was included and this was quite nice.

The cleaning was a little annoying - used wine glasses were rinsed and left upside down to dry on the cabinet. Why not give us new glasses please? Used coffee cup was not cleaned, emptied or replaced. Bed making was a little messy.

I'm not sure if I would give this as high a rating if we had paid full price.

Room Tip: The hotel states all rooms have balconies... except the first floor ones actually look directly at t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple