“Perfect location - decent room”

Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #54 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Check in was smooth and quick but the one issue I had right away was parking. There was none out front and the person checking me in said it was on a first come basis but I could check the back. I went to the back on got the last space which was tight as someone took too much space. I decided that I wasn't moving my car for the 2 nights I was there as I wasn't fighting for a spot. The hotel is within easy walking distance to town so you don't really need a car.

Anyway, somehow I got a lakeview room on the 9th floor which offered amazing views. The room was very spacious and had a mini refrigerator which is always nice. The bed was comfy and there was a balcony. The bathroom was decent but could definitely use an upgrade as it was quite tired. My biggest issue was the pack of soundproofing. I could hear my neighbours tv which was annoying but when trying to sleep, I could hear everyone in the halls and the closing on doors. The walls are paper thin. Luckily I had earplugs. I would recommend them if you are a light sleeper.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Justin M, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Hi there, thank you for your recent comments..Your feedback is very much appreciated and will be discussed in our upcoming Guest Services Meeting to ensure improvement in the areas you mentioned.

I do trust you otherwise enjoyed your stay and that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Lakeland Resort Queenstown in the near future.

Once again, thank you. Guest feedback is important to us and very much appreciated.

JM

Write a ReviewReviews (2,160)

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Great for theifs, hotels like this will encourage thefts if tourists have to carry large sums of cash to avoid the extra charge if you use a credit card...and who doesnt use cards when travelling?
When discussing with the hotel this month ithey explained that policy came from London where their HQ is. I asked to speak to managment and was dismissed by a receptionist? in 30 + years in tourism one does not dismiss a ' local' this is a tired old hotel with a new coat of makeup. without foundation.
I began in the tourist industry in 1964,,, the idea to encourage tourists to come to your country/premises was and still should be to give value for money. to leave good memories, returns save advertising. or do Rydges now only rely on the packed Asian tourist bus holidays if so advertise 'locals' not wanted. Rydges hotels do not do this country a favour telling guests that "this is what we" do it in ENGLAND; come to NZ companies but leave yoour 'extra' cost off \the charges.cost off the bill.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank margaretinnz

Hi, thank you for your recent comments..Please be assured that I will be discussing your feedback with the relevant Department Managers to ensure our improvement in these areas.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inadequacies you experienced during your recent stay. There must have been some missed communciation here some where as our head office is not located in London, England? However I take all guest comments and experiences very seriously and rest assured remedial action has been taken to address your concerns.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Older style of a Rydges Hotel, but the close walking location to central town without all those party/pub noises plus parking is worth the visit, we found plenty of available spaces road level and up top park.
Most rooms have a Lake view/partial view apart from the Budget rooms.
Pleasant good reception staff, quick to acknowledge you on entering through the doors with a smile. Bar on Level 6 lovely and the Restaurant had great views although did not get time to enjoy a meal there this trip.
Rooms clean, maybe a bit dated...but all you need ........comfy bed, clean bathroom, TV and a beaut lake view, prompt housekeeping.
Think the outside maintenance crew need a kick in the butt with some overdue work in several areas, but would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Most rooms have some lake views but if you want to see the Queenstown city lights at night ask for a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Reading previous reviews after booking I was a bit concerned but must say I am now quite annoyed that people obviously have nothing better to do than moan about the slightest things. Yes the hotel is a bit in need of an update but nothing serious at all. To the people who book cheap rooms - you get what you pay for!! We had a lake view superior room and it was great, clean, comfy and the staff were all terrific, funny what happens when you are polite to people!!
Check the prices of other rooms in Queenstown and look at the great location os this place. Also how long do you want to spend in your room when you are on holiday, sad really.

Room Tip: the dearer rooms with lake views are the ones to pick.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Loved the lakeside setting with beautiful views. Rooms are a bit dated but are clean and well provisioned. Excellent service, and a pretty nice lounge. Just a short walk to all the shops and restaurants and activities to be had in Queenstown. Activity bookings available in hotel.

Room Tip: Get a lake side room with the wonderful views and balcony to enjoy an afternoon glass of wine!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The hotel has a quite good location - a short walk from the city centre.

In general you feel that hotel is not the youngest. Outdated lifts, strange corridors, may kill the first impression. Balcony - quite nice. Chairs on the balcony - disgusting though.

Housekeeping? I was waiting the whole day almost for housekeeping. Shoudlnt the room have been cleaned before noon? What I found? The bag with toilet paper and towels on my door. Taking into account that the information "please make up my room" was available from 9 am, I was disappointed. The beds were not made up.

Parking? Its so ridiculous for the huge hotel like that offer so limited parking. Additionally, a receptionist was advising to park the car by the road, not in the other free place, because of arrival of buses with tourists. Btw, the location of the car wasnt an obstacle for any buses at all.

Other problem - after one night, the cards stopped working. It took awhile to go down to the reception. I didnt even hear "sorry". I didnt really understand why it was my fault. I got only a message "now it should work".

I think that the hotel is not really interested in independent travels. Hotel is more for groups.

The hotel did the job - the stay was ok. Overall, I did not feel special - more attention I would get at backpackers. I would not go there for a romantic trip though. You can spend there a few nights, see Queenstown and survive at Rydges. But the lack of customer care and high quality, will start to annoying you after stay longer than 3 days. Nice view from the window will cheer up for sure.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a really low standard - choose the Lake View room, otherwise you will get disappoint...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jacek_TA

Thank you for taking the time for expressing your thoughts at the end of your recent stay with us.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Staying here was a first for us, friends of ours have stayed here , so we thought it would be nice to try some where new. My first impression was the hotel is in need of a little makeover, the check in was a little slow, ( only one receptionists on duty) and parking was a nightmare, we had to drive way up the street and leave our car parked on the road side, the hotel does have its own few car parking spaces , but you would have to be in early. The room we found very clean and well presented, and best of all we had arranged a room over looking the lake front, we had our own little balcony with table and chairs, very nice to sit back with a wine and soak up the views. We chose to eat out in Queenstown as there are endless options for one to chose from. Value for money i still felt was good, and i would be happy to return again.

Room Tip: Try and book a room with a view, its worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple