“An amazing hotel with great views”

Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown
Ranked #50 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Christchurch, New Zealand
“An amazing hotel with great views”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Rydges hotel Queenstown is an amazing hotel. It is extremely clean and has lovely views. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel pool was beautiful and the resteraunt food was lovely. The fireside bar could have a little more options on the menu but the food we received was great. Overall it was a great stay and i enjoyed it

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Thanks to the helpful reviews on Tripadvisor, I asked for a high floor room - preferably not the 9th floor - as warned by other reviewers. To my horror, when we checked in, we got the 9th floor room next to the elevator. I asked the guy at the check-in desk if there were any other rooms and he informed us that there were absolutely no other rooms since the Royals were in town.
We accepted our fate and my wife and I went to the 9th floor in hopes that it wasn't as bad as other reviewers had said. Unfortunately, the reviews were correct. Although the room was a nice size, the bathroom is antiquated and the view of our room was over the car park and jacuzzi a floor or two below. The floors were stained, yet the worst part was a stench that pervaded the entire floor - not just our room.
My wife and I went down to reception and talked to a wonderful and helpful woman who helped us get another room on the first floor that didn't have the smell and had a newer bathroom. We were much happier. Had we got this room initially, I would have rated the hotel higher - the hotel is in a great location and easily within walking distance to town. Had we been stuck with the same room, I would have rated this hotel much lower.

Zilla, WA
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Clean and modern facilities, with a amigable staff makes this a great deal. Within walking distance from down town and accross the street from the beech.
Some of the units have an amazing view and if not just go up to the restaurant for breakfast or the bar for a drink. Free WiFi and they will be flexible with your travel arrangements and your local tour plans.
Having read some of the recent reviews I would hope that their fate was just shift related and that their administration gets to follow on that. My experience was great. I would definetly stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher in the building might give you better views of the lake.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Justin M, General Manager at Rydges Lakeland Resort Hotel Queenstown, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Hi there, thank you very much for your recnt comments..Guest feedback allows us to improve our services and reward our outstanding team members. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and will pass your feedback on to the team so they can read how pleased you were with the service they provided.

I appreciated that you found the time to leave your comments on Trip Advisor so that other potential guests can read about your experience at Rydges Lakeland Resort Queenstown.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Rydges in Queenstown does not meet the expectations one has from the Rydges brand, by far! The hotel interior is old and the room we had was outdated and run down. We had a lakeview superior room on the ground floor, which meant lake view was actually car park view.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor, you don't get the promised lake view.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed here while I was attending a conference. I had a budget room on the mezzanine which surprisingly had 2 double beds so that was nice. The room was reasonable, although there was a nasty white stain on the carpet near the door (I'm just being picky I suppose). I also didn't like the bedding very much... the bed itself was hard and the duvet (which looked more like a duvet inner) had food stains on it and was covered by a sheet. An actual duvet would have been nice and felt less gross to sleep in. The mini bar was a problem also - the people who stayed in the room before us (I'm guessing) must have eaten some of the lollies but put the packets back so it looked like they were full.. I told this to the guy at reception because I didn't want to get charged for it but they should really do a proper inventory of the mini-bar. Another small problem I had was that the female toilet on the 6th floor near the restaurant didn't have soap in it (again, just being picky.. but I'd like to be able to wash my hands properly before I eat and didn't really like having to go down to the 5th floor all the time). The guy that checked me out was also a bit rude to me and a few other people attending the conference.
ON A BRIGHTER NOTE.. I really enjoyed the views of the lake from the conference room and the Ben Lomond restaurant. The hotel is well located, right across the road from the lake and just a few minutes walk to the main centre. The food we had as part of the conference from the Ben Lomond restaurant was AMAZING! I wouldn't not recommend this place. Overall I thought it was quite reasonable, just being a bit picky about the small stuff but the FOOD and VIEWS kind of outweighed it all.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Got stuck due to bad weather and unreliable old jetstar not looking after domestic passengers, got on the phone to Rydges as we are priority members lol gonna cut that one up! Got two double rooms with lake views, $139 a night, got 2 as we had family with us, very embarrassing , grotty little cupboard at the end of a long corridor , could not pass each other in any part of the room or fit in the shower and we are one tall and thin and one short and chubby but not obese ( I hope) anyway 1 night I could live with, view outstanding, dinner in the restaurant a shocker, uninviting, freezing cold, no ambiance , and few customers, we were cold and hungry so dared to enter against our better judgement! After convincing them to let us in even when they said a 45 minute wait as they were so busy ( it was empty) Oh dear! Can I go on..... If it were not for an exceptionally good head of staff we would have walked out! Wrong food delivered cold and one of us without the full compliment of what was advertised on the menu need I go on, they did let us off one meal and gave us round of drinks but come on Ridges, Queenstown as one of the biggest tourest resorts for NZ, are you Australian owned and deliberately sabotaging our country!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank 4420sue
Hi there, I appreciate your feedback, therefore giving the team and myself a clear objective in our continued pursuit of service excellence. I have followed up with the relevant team and the Manager on duty to go through the service period to highlight where improvements and retraining needs to be made.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inadequacies you experienced during your recent stay.

Regards
Reviewed 27 April 2014

No one was available at the reception, along with a few other couples we stood around waiting, one couple knock on a door just to right of reception where they could see a couple of staff members sitting at desks though a window only to be ignored.
When the staff did finely show, there was no really apology, just excuses.
We booked a deluxe supper king with a view, only to find the was hardly any room to move around the bed and the bathroom old and pokey, shower over a old bath....and it only got worse. We had booked for a three day weekend here, so decided to check out after the first night and found a much better hotel very near by. Will never go back to the Rydges again.

Room Tip: Avoid staying here unless you have no choice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi there, thank you for your recent comments..Your feedback is very much appreciated and will be discussed in our upcoming Guest Services Meeting to ensure improvement in the areas you mentioned.

I do apologise for the obvious displeasure you experienced with your accommodation and maintenance issues that were evident in your room.

Regards