“Awesome relaxing stay”

Ranked #14 of 43 Queenstown B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Awesome relaxing stay”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband surprised me for my birthday, with a 5 day stay at the Evergreen Lodge, which was the perfect location for a relaxing holiday, with plenty of activity options. Lace and Cindy made our stay really special with plenty of insider tips on where to eat, and with a different breakfast option every day, ranging from healthy but delicious oatmeal blueberry muffins, to gruyere and mushroom quiche, plus bacon and eggs! They even gave me a birthday surprise or two, which was really special.

With the beautiful view of the lake and mountains from the communal living room and our suite, I spent a couple of days relaxing there, making full use of the sauna, bath and in-room drinks options (including lemon and honey!), which was just the tonic I needed.

Room Tip: We had a room with a view which was awesome.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We struck it lucky finding Evergreen Lodge. Secluded yet close to the township. Lovely place to stay. Cyndi and Lace are fantastic hosts and gave us great service. Not to mention the picture postcard views from every window!! Had an unforgettable stay and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Tahi, Rua and Toru are the best rooms.
Byron Bay, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My partner and I booked a single night at this lodge in need of a place close to town but far enough away to feel like we were actually getting away (mainly from our mates who we were travelling with!). The lodge proved to be everything it promised and more - the photos on the website are very accurate and every amenity and need was accounted for by the friendly management. They even ordered our takeaway dinner, picked it up for us and set it out on the dining room table! We had a great time and would definitely recommend the place to anyone and everyone!

Room Tip: We chose the Wha suite which had a little balcony and great views of the lake and mountains
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I had a wonderful time in Queenstown and could not have been happier with my stay at Evergreen Lodge. The lodge itself is fantastic. It has a very inviting and comfortable feel and offers everything you need including breathtaking views, all the amenities and excellent food. Cyndi and Lace were wonderful hosts and were very helpful and accommodating to my wife and I. I can't wait to get back to Queenstown and look forward to staying at Evergreen Lodge again.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

For my wife and I, this was our first trip to New Zealand. We had been recommended Evergreen Lodge from friends of ours who had stayed here last year and had an amazing time. We were aware that the place was under new management, and thus there was a chance that the experience would be a different one, but we decided to give it a go anyway. Boy, are we glad that we did. What a magical place — it's like something out of a fairytale. The jaw-dropping mountain and lake views literally surround you. You almost won't believe that they're real. Waking up to them was really energising and quite wonderful — a feeling I'll remember forever.
The property itself is sensational. A picturesque dwelling that (and this might be hard to believe) is not done justice by the photos, as nice as they may appear. Actually being here and spending time here is another experience itself. It was warm, inviting and most of all, beautifully kept.
The new hosts, Cyndi and Lace were fantastic. They worked hard to make us feel comfortable, and we always felt like they were prepared to do whatever it took to make our experience an even better one. They were happy to tailor meals to our liking and everything was cooked to perfection. They were just lovely company, had a fun sense of humour and took pride, not only in their place, but in the service they delivered.
The facilities were fantastic. We made great use of the gym and the sauna while there, and the lounge area was just the perfect, cosy space to unwind with a drink and some good company. I'm one for new experiences, but I can tell you, our next trip to New Zealand will see us right back here again. Thanks for a holiday to remember.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

A very lovely place. Stayed there for 8 days with the new owners taking over and was probably the pest holiday I've had. A very comfortable establishment with a great view of the lake. Very quiet and secluded, but only 5 minutes away by car from the centre of Queenstown and very close to the local attractions. The breakfast was fabulous. Rooms were nicely layered out and quite large. Bathrooms were very clean and quite roomy.. Definitely a great place to stay at while in Queenstown. I recommend it to anyone, regardless of whether you're there for thrill-seeking or just getting away from it all.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

I write this as honest criticism.

This place is in process of new ownership.

It shows and does not justify its lauds from previous owners at its current costs ($800-1000?????????? Per night?????)

I do not care who you are or what celebrity/royalty frequents here.

For $300 to $1000 per night, I want 5-star.

This is just to point out the flaws as beauty cannot conceal the smaller measures necessary for a flawless experience.

We had such high hopes going to Queenstown and this place.

The pros include view, temporary chef Kate (amazing and awesome, salvaged a few points for this place), washer/dryer and...thats it. Location is in Bay of Sunshine (locally and formerly Bay of Sandflies the locals joked).

My experience included the following:

Upon arrival, my wife was asked to take her bags to her own room (sarcastically or not, bad joke). I took 2 of 3 bags to room myself. On way out, my wife was asked to take one of those bags down. Really?!?

There is no staff aside from the owner on a full time basis. If needed, he is in his "slave quarters" awaiting to help. There is a cleaning lady who does her job and the owner and his wife will shortly be the main chefs.

Wifi went down for one of our two nights, we needed "internet guy" next morning to fix it. Beyond inconvenient when wanting to communicate or look up things.

Our room had bugs on bed upon arrival.

Owner has no transportation to city and no established contract with local taxi companies at our time of visit. This place is far from close to Queenstown. It was $20 each way in cab.

On Easter holiday, no temporary chef. Owner burnt our toast. Breakfast was gross. "5-star experience" was a joke.

All the wine and beer you can drink was a joke. The owner notes who drank what and told us that previous guest had drank some champagne and therefore "yours" is not available. Endless drinks was a joke. Drank to kill time.

Informality and sarcasm were understood, but this did not validate a majestic, 5-star experience. I want service, not nonsense. We were repeatedly told by owner of the lodge's 5-star status. This was earned by the previous owners, not him.

The new owners will need to establish their reputation, and I hope that this review is utilized constructively.

For those visiting Queenstown, at this time, I could not let you feel the disappoint as my wife and I experienced. In this amazing place, I felt cheated by where I was. Everything short of perfection or even adequacy.

I wanted the Ritz/Hilton, I got a backpacker lodge.

Nice owner, needs his wife to quickly move from home and get this ship right.

Will never justify the amount of money wasted here. Wish I would have just gone to Matakauri as I had planned.

Sorry for blasting review, but experience tainted Queenstown and by far was the worst part of amazing trip to New Zealand.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Pras499
Lace W, General Manager at Hidden Lodge, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
It has always been our desire at Evergreen Lodge to give each and every guest the best experience possible. We are disappointed that this guest believes he did not receive the service he expected of Evergreen Lodge. Although we disagree with much of his negative comments, we will strive to improve our service and make sure reviews such as this do not occur in the future. Be assured we will make every effort to meet and surpass our guest’s expectations.

Each suite is thoroughly checked and a final preparation completed prior to guests arrival. There were no insects noted on the bed or in the room immediately prior to this guest’s arrival. When our guest and his wife arrived, I told them that I would carry their bags their room, and started to do so. They began to follow me, carrying bags as well, so I stopped and told them I would come back to get those bags and bring them to the room for them. They refused the offer and continued following me with their bags in hand. Upon their departure from the lodge, I arrived to their room to carry their bags out for them. Once again they decided to carry some of the bags themselves, despite my offer to take care of all of the bags for them. The statement that I asked this guest and his wife to carry their own bags is completely untrue and I cannot understand why he would make such a misleading and false statement in his review. The Wi-Fi did have issues on the first night the guests were staying. This issue was remedied while the guest was out to dinner that evening and he was notified of its repair first thing in the morning. While the Wi-Fi was unavailable, access to the internet was still available from the complementary guest computer and use of this computer was immediately offered to the guest. Each morning our guests receive a gourmet cooked breakfast. If possible, we ask guests what they would like to eat and create a meal especially for them rather than cooking from a set menu. A simple request of ham and cheese omelets was received from our guest and his wife. In addition to the requested omelets, I presented them with a beautiful coconut cake with boysenberry and yogurt sauce as a special treat. Both our guest and his wife ate everything on their plates and no negative comments were made at any time. Any indication that the guest was not happy with what they were given and I would have offered anything else to them without question. It is very important to me that guests enjoy every part of their stay with us. If something is not sufficient it will be replaced immediately.

As part of your stay at the Evergreen Lodge, we offer an open bar to our guests. We want you to feel welcome to help yourself to a drink from our well stocked bar at any time while taking in the amazing views that surround the Evergreen Lodge. Guest intake is not monitored; however the aim of the open bar is not intended for binge drinking. I find it very unfortunate that this guest “drank to kill time”, in a town such as Queenstown with its many activities and sights.

As hosts for this beautiful property, my wife and I are on-site 24 hours a day to assist our guests with any request they have. There is no need for additional staff to be on site at all times. The previous owners of Evergreen Lodge have continued to be closely involved with the operations of the Lodge to ensure a smooth transition into new ownership and there has been no change to the facilities or level of service offered at this great property. We are also happy to supply complementary transport, with our lodge vehicle, to and from the airport as well as selected restaurants or activities if we are available to leave the lodge.

It is important to note that we have brought the false statements in this guest review to the attention of Trip Advisor. However, something to keep in mind when you read guest reviews for the various properties that are listed on this website is that Trip Advisors guidelines for travelers reviews does not state that a review must actually be true. There is no policy preventing reviews that are untrue from being published.