Matakauri Lodge
US$126
US$117
  • Restaurant
Scenic Suites Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$177
US$152
Agoda.com
Mercure Resort Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$120
Mercure
  • Pool
Swiss-Belsuites Pounamu Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$90
Heritage Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$145
  • Pool
Nugget Point Queenstown Hotel(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$405
US$299
US$185
US$180
Orbitz.com
Bella Vista Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$100
Agoda.com
Villa del Lago(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$424
US$412
Coronet View Accommodation(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$167
TripAdvisor
All reviewskauri cliffscape kidnapperssister propertiesdeluxe suitelake wakatipunew zealandthe private dining roomcourse degustationblanket baygreat food and winespa treatmentsbreakfast and dinnerhelicopter tripbreathtaking viewsour honeymoonhuge bathroomshort drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The Matakauri Lodge is the most gorgeous hide away lodge that has so much to offer. Straight away it is evident how much the staff truly cares about your stay as Sean, Steven, Stephen & Laurent were so lovely and welcoming to us. From the moment you take a foot out of the car, you will have a cordial reception as Sean will be willing to help you with anything.

The Lodge is of top quality, as it should be being such an expensive room rate. It has a lovely warm fire that leads up to a plasma screen television. The bedroom is really quite extravagant as it has steps leading up to it and then its own walk in robe. The only thing I would say is odd is that there were barely any shelves, if any at all to place clothes, just a bottom and top rack in my case.

The bathroom is one of the outstanding features of the room as it overlooks Lake Wakatipu, in which at the time of year was the most beautiful light blue colour-comparable to Lake Louise in Canada. The ultimate luxury is achieved when sitting in the bathtub in the evening as it brings the most gorgeous perspective of the Lake.

The food was extremely superb and efficient along with other juices and drinks. The kitchen staff were very accepting of an early breakfast before hitting the slopes and brought it out before I even arrived to breakfast. The pool looked very nice even though I didn't end up using it as I was too busy skiing. I would recommend trying a meal in the library above the lobby as it is very private and has an alluring view through a lovely window. In addition to that, a breakfast outside (depending on the weather) is very stunning as it offers a true glance over Lake Wakatipu.

The hotel is an exceptional piece of architecture but can be seen to be very costly! I have stayed at many top notch five star resorts, lodges and hotels before and this was the most expensive I have ever seen! I understand the location but all views and rooms in the Lodge cannot argue against the fact that it is quite extravagant in price. Great estate to stay if you have the available assets! Many thanks to Matakauri Lodge for such a noteworthy stay in the most exceptional spot in Queenstown.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Robertson J, Owner at Matakauri Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear maxamoh,

Warm Greetings from Matakauri!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Matakauri Lodge, as well as uploading the many photos of your visit.

It was such a pleasure to read your high praise of our staff, and I will be certain to pass on your comments. I further enjoyed reading your enjoyment of your accommodation, and more specifically the amazing en-suite and view from the bath. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the cuisine and dining experiences. Lastly, your comments in regards to the room rate are noted.

Thank you for choosing Matakauri and we look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

This lodge was everything it should be: wonderfully located a few minutes past Queenstown and yet private with gorgeous vistas; the decor was modern and efficient, the beds comfortable, overall spotless and the service just perfect. Seldom do you come across such nice and helpful staff at every level. The food, by the way, was also very well prepared and expertly served. For the cost, however, they should include the wines.

Room Tip: all the rooms seemed fine.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Robertson J, Owner at Matakauri Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear greenman,

Warm Greetings from Matakauri!

Thank you for taking the time and sharing you experience of Matakauri Lodge.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodation, the cuisine, and your interactions with our staff. I am also thrilled that you enjoyed the breath taking vistas and the convenience of our close proximity to Queenstown. Finally, your comment in regards to the wine is both appreciated and noted.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Matakauri Lodge is perfectly situated on Lake Wakatipu and after a warm welcome from Shaun we were shown to our lovely cottage, so beautifully decorated and with beautiful views across the lake and mountains. It was tempting never to leave, but the main lodge is enchanting with comfortable sofas, books and magazines and we enjoyed meeting other guests and sharing our experiences. As at our other lodge stays, the food was superb, often with an element of surprise and always proudly presented by the charming staff. We so enjoyed meeting Steve, Sarah and Seb just to name a few. What a fabulous way to experience a first visit to New Zealand.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Robertson J, Owner at Matakauri Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear Ann M,

Warm Greetings from Matakauri!

Thank you for sharing another experience of one of our lodges, this time Matakauri. We are thrilled to read how you enjoyed the stunning views across the lake and mountains, your accommodation and the main lodge. It is also wonderful to read your compliments about the cuisine and dining experience, including the various staff members with whom you interacted. Your way with names is truly astounding!

We are simply overwhelmed with your kind words, not only in regards to Matakauri but all three of our lodges. Thank you so much for your support of these properties.

We hope to see you back at any or all of the lodges again soon.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here towards the end of our honeymoon and all I can say is that it ended on a high note. Matakauri was everything we had hoped for and more. The surroundings are spectacular and the accomodation is carefully planned to make the most of it. Our chalet was truly amazing, every small detail was catered for and we felt very pampered.
We truly enjoyed our dining experiences there and the beautiful locations they were served in (the main room on the first night and the library on our second night). The food was superb and there was such willingness to engage with us regarding any queries or comments - just wonderful.
I had a beauty treatment which was really enjoyable and we used the hot tub both days.
If you want to mark a special occassion or indeed just get away from it all I could not recommend this place highly enough. The bar has been set very high and we will have life long happy memories of our stay here. New Zealand is an amazing country and Matakauri is a jewel in Queenstown's crown, well done to all.

Room Tip: I am not sure there is such a thing as a bad room, our chalet suite was amazing though and so private.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Robertson J, Owner at Matakauri Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Armaghgirl,

Warm greetings from Matakauri!

Congratulations on your recent marriage and thank you for choosing Matakauri for your honeymoon. Thank you as well for sharing your comments about your recent stay at Matakauri. It certainly is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your accommodation, the cuisine and dining experiences, and your interactions with our staff. We are indeed pleased that Matakauri will provide such fabulous memories.
We congratulate you again on your nuptials, and look forward to welcoming you back to Matakauri.

Warm regards

Reviewed 30 September 2013

In reverse order, The Beautiful, the setting and the scenery. The setting for the lodge is stunning, everywhere you look the view is amazing. It is also incredibly peaceful. Then there is the bad, the food and the service, the food is for the most part flavourless, they try hard on presentation and seem to overlook flavour. The portions are tiny and the menu is not properly balanced between portion size and richness of the food so it is not filling. For the price you pay, service should be perfect, every whim should be catered for. Unfortunately the service in parts is frustrating having to ask the waitress 3 times for toast for breakfast and being told twice it was in the toaster she eventually admitted she forgot. waiting a long time for a bowl of Oatmeal when we were the only guests. Maincourse being served cold and when told the waitress barely acknowledging that it was an issue and saying something like I'll let the kitchen know so it doesn't happen again. Hardly sufficient for someone celebrating a special occasion. It also seemed somewhat penny pinching compared to other similar accommodation. Lunch and wine was not included. In fact other than the room, breakfast and dinner nothing was. Even in Vietnam hotels offer you a car at your disposal should you wish to venture out here it depends on what staff are available which is fair enough but during our stay there were only 2 rooms occupied there seemed to be plenty of staff but no-one available to drop us into Queenstown which was 10 minutes away. To end on a high note some of the staff are amazing. The french waiter was great after a discussion about how bland NZ cheese was he sourced us some amazing french cheese for our second night, I would have liked to try more Local produce and had hoped he could find some good strong NZ cheese but he said they just didn't exist. Alex the therapist at the spa was fantastic and her treatments were the highlight of our trip. The Maitre d'hotel was also good and the babysitter was very friendly. Overall I would say it wasn't worth the price I have stayed at better luxury lodges that cost less.

Room Tip: I imagine all rooms have great views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank larissamurphy

Dear larissamurphy,

I am so sorry to learn that the experience at Matakauri Lodge did not live up to your expectations. Please know that my family and our teams take great pride in all aspects of lodges - from accommodation, food + wine, service - and therefore your comments are taken very seriously indeed.

The Lodge experience is a personal one, and we like to know as much about our guests' food likes and dislikes and any special dietary requirements prior to arrival. Likewise, if guests pass on any feedback while they are "in-house", it is our pleasure to tailor meals accordingly (i.e. - larger portions, heightened flavours, etc.). Our chef is excellent and is only too happy to ensure guests have a great dining experienceI am sorry we did not have a chance to wow you by responding immediately to your feedback.

Likewise, we at the Lodge try and provide as much information we can to our guests prior to arrival. Including what is included in the tariff, which at Matakauri Lodge is breakfast, pre-dinner drinks and hors d'oeuvres, dinner, and complimentary mini bar (wine and spitrits excluded). We find many guests are away from the lodge at lunch, enjoying the many fantastic activities around Queenstown, and therefore it is not practical to include a lunch of which many would not avail themselves. Certainly lunch is available to guests who choose to relax at the Lodge.

Our front desk team enjoy open communication with guests and are able to provide town transfers to guests on most occasions.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns and hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you to our lodges again. Please let me know personally and I will do all I can to assure you have a wonderful stay.

Warm regards,