“Superb hospitality”

Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
new zealand
“Superb hospitality”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

You could think that this hotel is ranked No 1 in Queenstown because of the excellent location, or because of the comfortable beds, or maybe because of the beautiful old building .... and that would all be true. But I think what really makes this the best hotel in Queenstown are the owners Matt & Paul.

Matt & Paul are tireless in their provision of service. Service is a lost art in the world, but here at the Dairy it is in abundance!

We only stayed one night, but Matt & Paul made us feel like old friends. It was just really lovely. We enjoyed every minute there and would love to come back to the Dairy.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 December 2011

The Dairy was our last hotel before we returned home, after five weeks of travel in Australia and New Zealand. And after our stay at the Dairy, we almost didn't want to go home! Since we've been home, my husband and I keep thinking about the Dairy, AND Matt and Paul and wish we were still there. As soon as we arrived at the Dairy, we felt so relaxed, so sincerely welcomed and so at home. Breakfasts were fantastic. Paul is a great cook and the dining room is very comfortable and attractively decorated. We felt very comfortable in the sitting room and library. We wish we could have stayed longer so that we had time to enjoy afternoon tea, the hot tub and the outside fireplace during the evening. Matt and Paul couldn't have been more helpful... wish we could have stayed longer to hear more of their suggestions about where to have dinner, and what to do and see while in Queenstown. We loved all of N.Z., but we keep talking about going back to the Dairy...and staying a week! We will recommend the Dairy to anyone looking for an outstanding small luxury hotel in Queenstown, NZ.

1 Thank Susan M
Portola Valley, California
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I love staying at fancy hotels like the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton with that feeling of sliding into a bed with crisp, silky sheets or getting room service tea/coffee on a beautiful tray. Somehow life at home is never that beautiful and simple and spoiling. But I hate the impersonal nature of those big chains. I hate that once you close the door there is no way to tell if you are in Singapore, Paris or Mexico City.

I love the yummy breakfasts you get at Bed and Breakfasts and the often quirky peek you get into the lives of locals. But I hate all the overblown flowery decor, and far more I hate how sometimes you feel pinned to your room, tiptoeing around, under a microscope (especially traveling with kids as we do.)

I'm sure you can guess where I am headed with this long preamble. The Dairy was the best of both. I felt so utterly, embarrassingly spoiled, and yet I felt so at ease that I chose to come to the communal living room to read rather than stay in the comfort of my room. It was just so cozey in front of the fire and that tea they make! I swoon. And in the process shy me met some very nice and very funny people.

And, of course, two of the people who made me laugh the most were our hosts. They were delightful. If I had to stay in a shack with no food I would if they were my hosts. I can't even begin to list all the lovely things they did for us or the dreadful ways bad luck and bad planning on our part inconvenienced them without them ever making the slightest indication that we were any trouble. And they were like that with everybody 24/7. How do they do it??!?!?

By the end of our five days there, we had so much the sense that we would like to return the favor of all this spoiling hospitality and invite them to come stay with us if they ever came to Calfornia (why the fact that we were paying to stay with them seemed of no consequence is beyond me). But another guest checked out right before us, and I confess I thought he sounded a bit of a blathering idiot as he invited them to stay with him, so I decided not to. When our moment to say good bye came, however, both my husband and I blurted out an awkward invitation anyway. They are just so nice!

You'd be crazy not to stay here as long as you can. A very special place. SIX stars.

• Stayed November 2011
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2011

We have stayed in many a 5-star hotel, but this one tops the lot. Not only is the property beautiful, gorgeously decorated, in a prime location, with the best breakfast you'll ever have, but what makes this place so memorable are the hosts, Matt & Paul. Friendly and full of great advice about where to go and what to do. We liked it here so much that we extended our stay for a couple of days. Oh, and the hot tub with views of the Remarkables is not to be missed. We would recommend The Dairy to anyone visiting Queenstown and we'll definitely be back. Julie & Peter Henderson

1 Thank Julie B
London
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Prime location. Delicious breakfasts. Thoughtful and attentive staff. Fantastic rooms with a separate library and comfortable sitting room area. We stayed at the Dairy for three nights in December 2011 with our children (16, 14 and 12) - it could not have been better. Matt and Paul went out of their way to cater for our needs. I would recommend the Dairy to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We stayed 2 nights at the Dairy in early November. It is a comfortable and intimate hotel with an outstanding location, everything within easy walking distance. Our hosts, Paul and Matt went out of their way to make our stay in Queenstown memorable and enjoyable. We relied on their advice for restaurants and were never disappointed. Breakfasts were outstanding.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We stayed at The Dairy for 3 nights in November. The hotel is great. It is small with very personal service. We could not fault it in any way. It is run by 2 individuals who will go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as it can be.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends