“Cosy perfect little hostel”
Review of Butterfli Lodge

Butterfli Lodge
Wellington, New Zealand
“Cosy perfect little hostel”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

One of the best hostels we stayed in. My sister and I had a twin room, heater and extra blankets were in the room. The main lounge/kitchen was warm and cosy with a stunning view on the lake. All common areas were super clean and tidy. Other guests were lovely and Jimmy the cat likes cuddles. :) Owner was friendly and welcoming. All in all a perfect hostel and I would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had a great experience at Butterfli Lodge. Our twin room was spacious, very clean and comfortable. We had requested an upstairs room based on reviewers comments and I think this was a wise choice. The staff we encountered were friendly and super-helpful. The communal area, including kitchen is small and as we went out for dinner we didn't have to compete for space, but I think it could get quite cozy if everyone decided to cook at once. We got up around 8am and the kitchen was empty, leaving us lots of space to do our thing :-) Based on our experience I'd highly recommend Butterfli Lodge and reading through other reviewers comments, I'd suggest if you stay here that you make yourself aware of things like upstairs vs. downstairs and Cindy's focus on check-out times.

Room Tip: Go for an upstairs room if you can get one.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JaneDoe2078
Torquay, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We travelled as a group of 6 to Queenstown and stayed 3 nights at the Butterfli lodge, the beds were comfy, the rooms nice and the view was amazing. Unfortunately there were a few let downs. "Free wifi" was only 100mb per person which only lasted about an hour and was $10 to recharge. Hot water ran out one night and we were left with cold showers. There is only one small common room, one night it was totally full with about 20 people and nowhere to sit. Some of the staff were friendly, where as others cleaned around us and even vacuumed when we were watching a movie. This made us feel awkward to be there and felt like we couldn't even eat breakfast one morning. Overall pretty disappointed, would not return in a hurry.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Stephanie_Louise27
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Initially, my boyfriend and I planned on staying at the Butterfli Lodge while we were visiting Queenstown. We called and booked a private double bed room. We told the woman on the phone that we were possibly going to stay two nights but only committee to the first night. THANK GOD.

The Bufferfli Lodge is backpacker style, so the private room was $69 if I remember correctly (cash only) so not too bad. It’s situated on the lake so of course the view is beautiful. However, the room was very basic. On the ground floor of the house. The kitchen and the dinning are directly above the room and the walls and floor are paper thin…. So there was A LOT of noise. We couldn’t fall asleep until everyone went to bed and we were woken up with what sounded like stomping around 6am! So we didn’t get much sleep.

The next morning we asked CINDY (I think she might be the owner) if we could change rooms due to the noise. She said that there was nothing else, so we said no worries, but we were probably going to go elsewhere because we needed a full night of sleep. She became very offended by that and said we needed to hand in the keys to the room asap since check out was 10am and it was now 10:15am. We said of course and quickly moved our things. However she gave us the silent treatment as we got ready for the day; kind of weird but whatever.

We had planned on making a quick breakfast before we started our day but when we tried to use the kitchen she said that we needed to leave the hostel since we weren’t staying a second night.. I couldn’t not believe my ears! We had planned on waking up quite early to start our day but with the lack of sleep we were too tired to get up which is why we ended up sleeping in so late. So I explained that and I asked if we could make a very quick breakfast. Cindy said that she had already started to clean up the kitchen… I guess she thought that we couldn’t clean up after ourselves? She then has the audacity to say that she was already being very generous with us because she could have charged us for a second night since we were 15 minutes late leaving our room.

I have never experienced such poor customer service from a hostel or hotel.
So incredible rude. I would most definitely NOT recommend staying there. Clearly, this woman, Cindy, should not be in the hospitality industry. She is a very bad host.

Room Tip: Do NOT choose the downstairs double room. You won't sleep a wink!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank HannahG31525
St. Barthelemy
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I stay 10 days at the Butterfli lodge and it was like I'm at home. The people stay there are very friendly and the staff also. Thank you Cindy,Arriette and Clelia.

J'ai passée 10 jours au Butterfli lodge c'était parfait je me suis sentie comme à la maison. Le personnel est très sympa. Merci à Cindy,Arriette et Clelia.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

So the room smells a little bit, the toilet is so hard to get in in the morning, there is only one sink in the kitchen......but that's not the problem. I asked the reception lady:"can I stay until noon while I'm waiting for my friend?" She said "no". I mean, really?! you are running a hospitality business, you never say no to a customer! Let alone it's such a small favor.

• Stayed April 2014
5 Thank Wen Z
Leipzig, Germany
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed here for the past two nights and absolutely loved it. Not only was the view magnificient but Hostel Manager Cindy was brilliant. She was very helpful and directed me the right way while I was attending my job interviews and didn't know where to find the places :) The hostel itself was very cosy, clean, with free tea and coffee and lovely people. The only lazy guy I could find was cat Jimmy :) I would definitly recommend it to everryone lookong for a quiet place to relax! If you are looking for a party hostel you'd have to look somewhere else!
I enjoyed my stay here and hopefully be back!

• Stayed March 2014