“Fine dining”

Rata
Ranked #16 of 257 Restaurants in Queenstown
Price range: US$15 - US$29
Cuisines: European, New Zealand, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Rata is a collaboration between internationally recognised Michelin starred & New Zealand Masterchef judge, Josh Emett and highly regarded local restaurateur, Fleur Caulton. Their company, Mayfare Limited, is fast becoming synonymous in New Zealand for creating genuine dining experiences that are contemporary and inspired. 'Uniquely Southern', Rata takes inspiration from the Southern landscapes and everything that epitomises New Zealand. The decor uses influences from the Otago scenery mixed with modern industrial elements and reclaimed & repurposed vintage items to create a uniquely contemporary and welcoming dining room. Queenstown's cooler climate lends itself to Josh's love of slow cooked dishes and robust flavours, the discipline of his Michelin star background and that of Executive Chef Chris Scott who heads up the Rata kitchen, ensures elegant well-balanced and inspired cuisine that always showcases the best of regional and seasonal produce. The wine list proudly showcases wines from the Otago region and afar with a large selection of wines by the glass to give the diners variety, and match easily with the style of food. Rata is a relaxed eating-house with a neighbourhood feel, excellent service and exceptional food. Located discreetly away from the hustle and bustle of Queenstown, tucked alongside heritage buildings with several dining spaces perfect for lunch, dinner and casual grazing. Rata is the ideal place to unwind and enjoy award winning and genuine Southern hospitality.
Invercargill, Southland, New Zealand
“Fine dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Josh Emmett from Masterchef fame has opened this restaurant in Queenstown. It can be difficult to get a seat if you haven't booked. We were in the early sitting at 6pm, but the restaurant filled quickly. The wait staff are very friendly and eager to please without being obtrusive. A great choice of food spectacularly presented and of good value for the standard of the restaurant. A glass of wine was rather expensive - you could buy the whole bottle for the price of a glass at the bottle shop. The desert menu was wonderful and was more than could be expected. Will certainly return, as the menu is changed regularly, presumably to reflect current availability of produce.

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
“TOTALLY AMAZING!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Outstanding food and outstanding service, could not fault it. Although pricey it is excellent value for money as the food is so awesome A++++++

Visited May 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

From start to finish our meal was superb. The restaurant was packed at 6:30, but was fully staffed so nothing seemed panicked or rushed and there is enough space between tables for privacy, but close enough for friendly foodie banter.

Rata is a place for foodies with high expectations and I was excited to finally get to eat there. It's safe to say that we had the best meal we've ever had - the whole experience good not have been improved on (aside from missing Josh Emmet himself cooking by one night). The service was perfect, attentive without being smothering, polite whilst staying friendly and relaxed.

A great wine list and fabulous cocktails add to the evening, but make no mistake that good is the star of the show. Simply stunning, and beautifully presented.

The only bad thing about Rata is that it may well have ruined eating out for us... It will be hard to better this place!

• Visited May 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
“Ok.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Good service, nice food but nothing to write home about.
Stuffy - needs better aircon.
Nice picture of trees on the wall...
Does not belong amongst the Sidarts, Clooneys and French Cafés in my view but costs the same.

• Visited March 2014
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“My best meal. Ever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is a big statement, but I had the pleasure of visiting this amazing restaurant on Saturday evening with friends who had recently moved to Queenstown. I had only been in the country for a few days and had no preconceived idea about it. When I said I was going to Rata I was told 'have you booked?', or, 'lucky you', or 'it's amazing'....it was all positive! For me, enjoying a night out is not just about the food, but the ambience, the company, the service and the overall atmosphere of any restaurant. I was walking from my hotel and arrived early, but from the moment I arrived, I was welcomed and seated at the bar and offered a drink while I waited. Once my friends arrived we were seated and given our menus to pore over.
My friend chose a glass of sparkling for me, which ended up being the bottle (I still have no idea what it was, but it was excellent!), while he and his wife chose a red which seemed equally drinkable. The food choice was difficult, but as I had had venison the previous night elsewhere, I chose the lamb. We started with some taste plates featuring some cool little profiteroles with goats cheese and honey....what a combination! Also the Kingfish and avocado plate was sensational. My lamb. Wow. This was so perfectly cooked it melted in my mouth. It was served with a fancy mash and we had a side order of salad and vegetables. My friends had the eel, the lamb and the salmon....all big ticks and happy stomachs. We had to try the desserts too as the ambience of the evening made us need it. Really. I had heard so much about 'salted caramel' and having never had it before, that was my choice! My friends chose the apple crumble dish and the rolled cheesecake...wow, how tasty!
The food was not only sensational, but it was complemented by the incredible service by the wait staff who were attentive and carried out their job without fanfare but rather with sweet music. That's not easy to do, especially when there is a full restaurant, but it seemed very easy for them. It was genuinely the best meal and experience at a restaurant I have ever had. There are so many reasons to return to Queenstown and your restaurant is definitely one of them!
Thank you!