“Great food, play area and peaceful surroundings with a view”
Review of Flight Park Cafe - CLOSED

Flight Park Cafe
Price range: US$10 - US$21
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Flight Park Cafe, Queenstown, offers awesome coffee, all day home cooked goodies, using home grown produce, ranging from freshly made scones & jam, yummy brekkies, Euro style lunches, homemade syrups and treats in a beautiful, rural setting - try paragliding and hang gliding or sit back and watch the aerial entertainment with a wine or beer. Fantastic play area, swings and sandpit for all day kids entertainment.
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Went with my family, we mainly had coffee and cakes etc, one of the group had a breakfast which he thought was great. The service was good with friendly staff. Having driven for a while it was a bonus for the kids to be able to run around on the big lawn and with plenty of toys etc to play with.
Plenty of tables and umbrellas for a hot day.
Would certainly return again.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stopped in at the cafe for lunch and loved the food, friendly staff and stunning location. I had a quinoa salad and my hubby had a creamy chicken pasta dish (I can't remember what it was called) and both dishes were AMAZING! We also loved the peaceful atmosphere in the cafe and the lovely setting where you can watch paragliders come in. Has a great outdoor area but it was a little windy the day we were here. I loved this place and will definitely be back.

toves33, Owner at Flight Park Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thankyou so much for your lovely review and taking the time to post your feedback on trip advisor, we very much appreciate it. Be sure to come and visit again soon, we will be launching our new summer menu shortly and if you are part of a local business in Queenstown or surrounds, maybe consider us as a party venue for your Christmas celebrations!! Thankyou again...so much!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We met at the cafe as a group of local mothers getting to know each other for our first meet. The cafe knew we were coming at 3.30pm and there were about 12 Mums ands kids ranging from newborns to toddlers.

It started well, bringing out coffees and cakes to the group but by 4.30, the atmosphere changed and you could tell how quickly they wanted us out the door.

They started cleaning away all the outside toys, whilst the toddlers, who were playing with them at the time, looked on. It started raining, so those that had been sitting outside moved inside to order their last drinks a snack.

I asked for a gluten-free option off the lunch menu (not listed, asked if the pate could be modified to be served with rice crackers) and was told they stopped serving lunches at 4.15pm but I could have a sandwich or wrap from the chiller cabinet. I mentioned this wasn't gluten free and was given an acknowledgement but no option of any other food. As I turned to looked at the chiller cabinet, they were hastily taking things out of it, so I ended up not being able to eat at all.

A friend who was there with a toddler daughter turned to see her dumping soil out a pot plant onto the floor, she apologised and was handed a dustpan and brush so she could clean it up, something I think that could have been done by the cafe instead, as a friendly service.

So in summary, their kids facilities are fantastic; great fenced outdoor space, lots of toys, steps and toddler seat in the toilet area but really let down on this occasion by their unfriendly staff and limited food options that didn't cater to those who can't eat gluten. So many cafés have great options for that nowadays I was surprised and disappointed to not see that here.

2  Thank bimbler

Thanks Bimbler for taking the time to review our cafe. As you can imagine I was very upset to read your review. I have spoken with the staff members that were on duty that day and feel it necessary to respond from their point of view.

We probably should have offered an option from the cabinet that was gluten free that day, but by 4.15pm we had run out of choices - so apologies for that. Many of our guests enjoy gluten and dairy free options from our menu & cabinet. We were called before hand about your group coming up for coffee and cake at 3.30pm and at that stage the organiser had been told that we close at 5pm which was not a problem, she insisted that 3.30pm would give the group a chance to meet over coffee and cake and closing at 5 would be fine. We do however offer many options on our menu & cakes as dairy and gluten free and endeavour to go out of our way to provide whatever our guests require. I am so sorry this was not extended to yourself on this occasion. Our food is wrapped in glad wrap to ensure freshness over night and this is probably what you saw happening.
I am aware that our menu does not specify what is gluten and dairy free and this will be rectified when our new summer menu comes out shortly. Also admittedly our cabinet food should contain more GF & DF options.
My staff members also insist on telling me that the lady with the child emptying the plant pot was told a number of times that the staff would clean it up and not to worry about it but she insisted on cleaning it up herself and took the dustpan and brush off the member of staff on duty...kids looove to dump sand, wood chips and dirt everywhere, we clean this up all day everyday!

I am so sorry that you felt the need to make such a lengthy and potentially damaging report on trip advisor for all to read. I do appreciate your feedback as it is a beneficial learning curve and hope that you will come up and join us again, maybe for some of our kids activities that we have scheduled, email me on cafe@flightpark.co.nz for more details...maybe we could redeem ourselves. Apologies again.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

A pleasant experience when I visited. Rustic I believe to be a good word to describe what goes on there. The staff were friendly and welcoming but you got the feeling that they are there for the pilots and their customers. The cafe is a bit bitsy. This is a great place to go and relax, have a drink and some food. Its clean and the views of the para-gliders are great. Don't expect fine dining because that's not what they are about.

1  Thank BarterTrader
toves33, Owner at Flight Park Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Thanks for your feedback Bartertrader, good to see you are still thinking about us from your last visit to us in March of this year! We have since made some awesome renovations to the place which now allows us to have more than 3 tables inside which admittedly got easily taken over by the paragliders and their clients! The cafe was originally there specifically for that reason so on bad weather days the cafe would be closed. We are now open everyday - rain or shine and enjoy the company of locals and tourists who are there to relax, have a coffee or order from our european menu and now our beautiful extended inside dining area...next time you come up to Queenstown, come and check us out!

Reviewed 18 May 2013

I really love this place. Great food and friendly staff in a stunning location.
Perfect for children, most cafes have a sorry looking box of toys but this place has swings/playhouse/ride on tractor/climbing frame and a huge fenced off grassed area to play in. There's even a friendly rabbit! My boys love watching the paragliders and hangliders land in the field next to the cafe. I have spent many happy times here ignoring my children while enjoying a hot chocolate in the sun. It is closed now until mid - July (boohoo)!

1  Thank jonandalix