“Great first week in Queenstown” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Haka Lodge Queenstown

Haka Lodge Queenstown
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Great first week in Queenstown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I came to Queenstown with no place to live so I booked myself into Haka Lodge Queenstown for 6 nights. I couldn't of had a better first week in Queenstown. George at the front desk is a super friendly, helpful and knowledgeable guy. The other staff is great too. I ended up extending my stay for a 7th night. I felt very at home at Haka and recruited my other traveling friends in town to come stay there as well. I met some great people that I will continue to be friends during my time in Queenstown. Clean spot, multiple private bathrooms on site and warm rooms. Great kitchen. Composting. Great place!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
paisley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I recently stayed in the Haka lodge Queenstown with my three friends, we were having a night out in Queenstown and booked the 4 bed apartment which was on the 1st floor of the hostel.
On arrival the gentleman at reception was very pleasant, we arrived slightly later in the evening but he was there, cheerful, informative and happy to show us to our room.
The room was ideal to cater for our needs, spacious living area with kitchen offset, large fridge for our beer and food and a balcony overlooking Queenstown hill and beyond.
The apartment was warm, heated by a heat pump and also had a little heater in the living room.
The bathroom was large and had a great shower.
Id recommend the Haka lodge to anyone looking for a chilled, quiet relaxing weekend as the hostel is just far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the town to give you that respite after no doubt experiencing one of Queenies many many activities.
Top notch.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed at the Haka for a month, on and off. It was the one hostel I kept going back to because the staff were welcoming and accommodating, always trying to find space to fit me in when I forgot to extend my booking!! The kitchens were new and really clean and the lounge area was really chilled. I got to know a bunch of people while I was there so it was like living in a massive houseshare. I loved it! And the two bathrooms on the first floor are AMAZING! Actual bathrooms, not just cubicles!! Definitely stay here if you need a place in queenstown. It's right by the Main Street but far enough back to be quiet at night and it's on the road to the supermarket! Perfecto!

• Stayed May 2014
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

haka lodge offers clean rooms, fully equipped rooftop kitchen/lounge and a sufficient number of bathrooms.
although the rooms are rather functional and small, the matresses are very comfy and clearly above the usual hostal-standard. perfect for a good nights sleep - even if it can be a bit noisy from time to time (thin walls..)
staff was friendly and helpful, they have free wifi (if you get bored in queenstown...)
we quite enjoyed our stay and would recommend to anyone who's looking for a reasonable place to stay a couple of nights in queenstown.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Curitiba, PR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The staff is friendly, the rooms & kitchen are clean, central area, free imitated wii-fi, hot and nice showers and toilets are really ok.

I can't recommend any better place to stay in Queenstown.

The kitchen closes 10pm sharp and if you need cooking something in late of night there's a smaller kitchen upstairs. Both kitchens are really well equipped, don't smell and have enough space.

I stayed at room number 9, which I really liked. No dramas regarding noises or anything. The bunks have curtains in each bed. So despite the fact you're sharing your room with another 3 people, you can have your own privacy. Each bed has its own locker in the room and it's very convenient.

The living room is a space with a chairs and several posters and papers about activities to do during our trip in NZ. I used that space to Skype freely.

In general, it is a awesome hostel. I fully recommend it!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I loved my stays at Haka Lodge. Lovely lodge, nice, clean, cozy, so welcoming, great hosts, clean kitchens, so affordable and there's even Monty welcoming you, the cutest Jack Russell in QT...IT HAS EVERYTHING!

First of all, the hosts were awesome! George, Bec and Jana were very friendly, helpful, and funny esp George! Jana and Bec were also very helpful when I had problem with my tv.
They also took care of my luggage really well when I had to go away for few days for trekking trip. They even moved it from my room to their storage because I had to leave early in the morning before their reception hours.

Internet was fast and FREE!!! Yes go wild with it, there's no limit! :-D

The main kitchen was big and there were 2 sets of sinks, gas, shelves etc hence, it could accommodate many guests. There's also big bench and table inside and outside in the balcony so plenty of space and bbq set was also available. Bear in mind though, the main kitchen closes at 10pm sharp. So if you need to use the kitchen after 10pm, there's another smaller kitchen near the lounge room which was as clean as the main one.

I have to say, I gave Haka Lodge a big plus because they were probably the only backpacker out of so many that I had been in my entire NZ trip whose kitchen didn't stink or have strong odor smell. All other backpackers that I had been that had communal kitchens always smelled. But surprisingly, Haka Lodge kitchen smelled ok maybe because they aired the room frequently hence, its ventilation was better.

The shared shower/toilet were also clean. My room was just next to the big shower/toilet hence I didn't really use the other shower/toilet, but from a glance...they all looked properly and regularly cleaned.

There were very limited car parks in front of the lodge. So if it's full, then you had to park on the street which was only free for limited hours. Hence, parking was not very convenient. Laundry and dryer were outside at the back of the lodge. There's not much lighting on the way there, so if you had to do laundry at night, you had to go outside and walk through the dark shed...so be careful because it's directly connected to outside street. I mean, I walked through it to do my laundry and nothing happened to me but it didn't hurt to be careful. Would be even better if you had a torch which I didn't have :-( cos it was really dark...and I mean it, it's pitch black dark! So...

I stayed at the lodge on 3 separate times and all of them were pleasant stays...except for small glitches (stories below...). I had room no 10 & 2, both double private room. Loved the rooms, great bed, plenty of pillows, there's tv and were very very clean. I specifically asked for room 10 cos there's one review on TA that recommended this room. Haka Lodge was great to take note of that and George did give me that room.

At first, the room looked like a very nice favoured room indeed. It's tucked in the corner away from other rooms so I was very happy...or so I thought :-(

SOON I realised that room no 10 might not be the best room after all. Why?

1. As I said, it was right next to the big shower/toilet. This happened to be the favourite shower/toilet because a.) It was huge so ppl could shower more freely and had more space to put their stuff (clothes, soap, shampoo etc) whereas other shower/toilet were very small b) Because the shower/toilet were together in one big room, it was hence more convenient because you didn't have to get in and out. So because this was the favourite shower/toilet, ppl kept using them and most ppl, I tell ya, were very inconsiderate and closed the shower door really loud...even at night! I mean, come on, just use common sense, it's night time, I wanted to sleep and it was really really annoying to hear the banging noise. So this was your first warning if you had room no 10. Be prepared!

2. The room might be tucked away in the corner, but it also became the hub for ppl to hang around right at the front of the room to chit chat, make phone calls, skype etc because again, it was in the corner and ppl liked it cos it's more peaceful rather than the lounge room. Now I didn't mind if it's stil early night, but after 11pm seriously??? I had to say to 3 ppl in one night to please stop their chit chats or making phone calls cos I was going to sleep and I could hear everything. I felt really bad of doing this cos I didn't like telling ppl off, no matter how polite I told them, still I always did it with heavy heart. Thank goodness, on the next two nights, ppl stil came and hang around to chit chat and make phone calls, but it all happened before 11pm so I was ok. So 2nd warning if you get room no 10!

So the most ideal room???? ROOM NO 2!
The best and the quietest room! Away from the toilet/shower and no hang out room, away from front entrance...PERFECT!!!! That's why on my 2nd part of my stay at the lodge, I asked for room no 2 which was so peaceful!

Anyway, the glitch I experienced from room 10 was no big drama. I still loved Haka Lodge. Its quite affordable, close to the city and was run very efficiently. If you meet Monty, the cutest Jack Russell, say hi! He's adorable!

I will definitely go back to Haka Lodge for next stay in QT.

Room Tip: ROOM 2! The best and the quietest room! Away from the toilet/shower and no hang out room, away from...