“Below par service and food level for Vegetarians”
Review of Cafe '88

Cafe '88
Ranked #197 of 268 Restaurants in Queenstown
Price range: US$4 - US$11
Cuisines: Barbecue, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A great stop off for lunch or a coffee along the Queenstown Bike Trail! Cafe style or made to order options.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I were on the way to Queenstown to visit Family touring from overseas and we thought of Grabbing a couple of cuppas and some food. The initial impressions were nice in terms of atmosphere as it is inspired by Bungee Theme etc and the surrounding has a very industrial chic appeal with a buzzing crowd eager for their jumps from the bridge. Once we ordered Fries, Hot Chocolate, Flat White Coffee and Vegetarian burger we were told to wait for 10 minutes but no order number was given to us. After about 25 minutes my wife got impatient and went to ask for the food orders. She was told to wait for 5 more minutes and then we got our order.

In the meanwhile as we watched all this time we noticed all the lady members working casually, making food without headgear and scratching their heads in between. Our coffees turned out fine but our fries were fishy and our burger patty looked like it was straight from the freezer, dreadful, dehydrated and oily. The patty too was fishy and both of us lost the appetite to eat after the first couple of bites since my wife asked me to double check if the smell was fishy. Being a chef myself I could not gauge how people could do seafood or fish in the same oil as vegetarian food ?

We did not complain because we have seen Hotels and restaurants in NZ lacking knowledgeable and trained staff but felt a need to express when similar incident repeated with a friend who had a stop over at this place.

VEGETARIANS BEWARE and kindly clarify your needs before you order anything here because the staff and their attitude is very laid back, especially in the mornings and locals don't have a fair bit of knowledge about vegetarian / vegan habits.

AJHBungyNZ, General Manager at Cafe '88, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Hi – thank you for taking the time to write feedback. We have taken your comments on board and are taking this opportunity to review our Café procedures