“Great room and facilities! Nice stay!”
Review of Oaks Shores

Oaks Shores
Ranked #40 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Brisbane, Australia
“Great room and facilities! Nice stay!”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We checked into our room early January and had a great stay!
Although the building is a little bit confusing to get around its the way it was built and we certainly got the hang of it after the first day! The staff do a pretty good job of explaining the rate race!
There were a lot of cars around when we were there but the car parking is free so cant complain too much!
Housekeeping did miss a service for us but we called reception and they had extra towels that we grabbed on our way out to dinner. Not a big issue...
Maybe a little bit overpriced for being out of Queenstown but we certainly made use of the kitchen facilities and beautiful walk into town. Took about 30 mins.
The furnishings do need to be updated though, they are getting old and tacky.
We will be back!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get a room with a view!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jrawr89
AaronJeffrey, Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Kia Ora and thank you for your recent review of Oaks Shores!
I am glad that you were able to work out the building layout in the time that you were here and enjoyed the beautiful walk into town!
I apologise that housekeeping did miss a service during your stay but I am happy to hear that the front desk team were able to organise some extra towels for you.
Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Queenstown soon!

Jaimee Davis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This hotel does not offer good quality for money and we would not recommend it.
- The rooms are located along dormitory-like gloomy corridors.
- The route to the room was impossibly complicated, we had to take two different elevators and walk through a garage in between with no signs apart from faded painted footsteps on the ground.
- Despite booking info of daily cleaning, there is none on public holidays. Our stay was at a time there were two of these in a row and our room was not cleaned for two days.
- The wifi pricing is outragous: $10 for two hours.
- Breakfast at $17 per person was a buffet of shriveled sausages, soggy scrambled eggs, grim buns, packed bread and terrible coffee with nothing fresh.
- There are only a few parking places (roughly 50 for 150 rooms) at the end of a very steep windy driveway in a garage. These get taken early and driving back up the narrow lane with oncoming traffic and cars parked on either side was a challenge we would not care to repeat.
- The shuttle shuttle bus to central Queenstown operates only a few times a day and is often fully booked. Walking to the center takes more than 30 minutes.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Senjala
AaronJeffrey, Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Oaks Shores!
Unfortunately the layout of the hotel can be a bit confusing at times but we do try to explain this in detail on check in and on maps located in the elevators. The way the building is designed does allow for magnificent views of the lake and Remarkables though!
Feedback from guests over a number of years has clearly identified that whilst staying in the hotel on Public Holidays, guests would prefer to enjoy their day undisturbed. Although there is no servicing available, ample additional supplies are available at reception on such days.
We do offer free 30 mins wifi per room per day which can be used by up to three devices at once.
I apologise for the experience that you had in the restaurant for breakfast. The state of the food you describe is unacceptable and I will be following this up with the staff in the restaurant immediately.
I do apologise for the issues that you had during your stay and hope that you do choose to come back to Oaks Shores in the future!

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

You will certainly find much better for the price in Queenstown.

I stayed here with family over New Year. It was disappointing. The view is amazing - there it ends.

On arrival there was Mcdonalds bags on the balcony and a poo in the loo!! Seriously. Granted we were refunded one nights accommodation for this. The place was grubby on arrival - imagine after 4 nights.

However in those 4 days the room was not cleaned once. The room service arrived at 6 in the evening gave us new towels (when we asked) and emptied the bin. On asking for beds to be made it was an awful attempt (my 9yr old does better). Over the 4 days things needed attention - like the carpet vacuuming bathrooms wiping, etc. This did not happen.

The insinkorator/ food grinder smelt bad. It didn't work. I fixed this and removed a moldy corn cob. Yuk. The water tap was broken and kept falling off. We were not given enough pillows and had to find more. None in the room. The bed configuration was incorrect and had to be change on arrival. Soaps etc were never filled up. We ran out of dish wash liquid and dishwasher powder.

Car parking--- don't ask. Dreadful.

I was in the back room. It has no opening windows. All night long it is bright as the only window goes onto the hallway and has a large fluoro light shining on your bed - the white blinds don't help much. Worst suffocating nights sleep ever. Took to the sofa on a couple of nights.

Both bathrooms have no extractor fan and set the smoke alarm off because of the steam. My shower drenched my bathroom floor so I had wet feet whenever I went in there, yet in adequate towels to mop this up. I had to go to reception one day to get more towels as their towels are tiny.

Anyway, had I have read trip advisor before booking I wouldn't have gone as the service appears to be an ongoing issue NOT a one off. The manager says they are on to it but previous reviews don't support this. Only bonus was the refund, however including this it was too expensive for what you get.

Could be really nice but starting to get run down. Come on guys sort it out.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Patsicat
AaronJeffrey, Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Oaks Shores!
I am disappointed to hear that you had so many issues regarding the cleanliness of the apartment during your stay and apologise that these issues were not sorted out for you.
I am glad that I had a chance to talk to you at check out and get the details of your booking so as to follow up with the Housekeeping Manager.
Happy New Year and we hope to see you back in Queenstown soon!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Has so much potential. Lazy housekeeping staff ruined our stay. We stayed here 4 years earlier & experience was much better. This time sheets werent changed from prior guests - gross; carpet hadnt been vacced; gross ashtray wasnt emptied; dirty wet bath mat left from prior guest; toilet wasnt cleaned... Etc. not worth the high rates they are charging. Such a pity.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scb222
AaronJeffrey, Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Kia Ora and thank you for your recent review of Oaks Shores!
I am disappointed to hear that you had so many issues regarding the cleanliness of the apartment on your arrival. This certainly not something that is standard within the Oaks Group.
I am unable to comment any further regarding the issues you mention as I cannot locate your booking in our system.
I would welcome additional information from you regarding your booking so I can investigate these unacceptable matters. I can be contacted on hmshores@theoaksgroup.co.nz.
I appreciate your feedback and apologise about the housekeeping standard you were exposed to.
I hope that you do choose to come back to Oaks Shores in the future!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed here over the Christmas Holiday Period 2013 in a 2 Bedroom Lakeview Apartment. The views from this room were fantastic, excellent views of the lake and mountains and no road between the hotel and lake so its very peaceful and relaxing.

The receptionist that checked us in was fantastic, very knowledgeable and friendly. Some housekeeping staff that saw us struggling with baggage came to our aid quickly and were again very helpful and friendly.

Laundry and Kitchen appliances in the apartment were great, all in good working order and very convenient.

This is where the good ends and the bad begins!

- Charged Double for internet ($170 instead of $85) Reception was very unhelpful and refused to do anything about it, paid for 14 days internet for a 5 day stay... pathetic

- To get from our room to reception we had to take 2 different elevators and walk across a car park and then a stair case, signage is terrible to find anything you are looking for. Would not recommend for elderly or imobile people.

- Restaurant is absolutely terrible, see separate review.
- One of the Dining room chairs in the room was damaged and unusable
- Side Table was dusty and dirty
- All the furniture in the lounge was dented, grubby/dusty
- Bird poo on the sofa floor
- Stains on the carpet
- TV is so small you can hardly see it
- Second bedroom has no cooling or any windows that can open
- Second Bathroom has no exhaust fan and steamed up the entire bedroom and bathroom
- Housekeeping forgot to replace our bath mat, and made us collect one ourselves from reception

These guys needs to get their act together, the views are stunning and potential of this hotel is huge, however at the moment its like the NZ version of Fawlty Towers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank andymitcho
AaronJeffrey, Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Oaks Shores!
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the amazing uninterrupted views from our apartments and that our staff were helpful and friendly!
I am unable to comment regarding the internet charge at this point as I am unaware of your booking details. I would welcome additional information from you regarding your booking so I can investigate this matter. I can be contacted on hmshores@theoaksgroup.co.nz.
I appreciate your feedback and apologise about the items in the room that were dirty or unsuitable and replacing items such as these is something we will be looking into in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Location is good, overlooking the lake Wakatipu, far from town centre but free shuttle bus is provided which is very helpful. Both drivers, David and Gary are very nice and helpful. All rooms with the ending A are very small with very partial look to the lake. Not enough living space and room for clothes. No room to keep your clothes apart from 2 small drawers. Lack of privacy - we had to have ours windows covered with only small opening day and night - we could have been seen from other apartments and from the stairs. We've stayed there 2 weeks and the room service was very poor - they never checked if we had enough toiletries and teabags, toilet paper etc., which was a part of normal daily service routine (we had to go few times to reception and wait for the items). Sauna is a good idea however there is not fresh towels available so we had to drag our towels from the room and there was no chance to exchange them the same day. Access to some apartments is like a maze and one have to go through underground carpark. Also, free 30 min per 24 hrs internet access - we had to wait for the next 24 hrs to access it again after the previous use. Reception staff very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Never get rooms with A added at the end like 501A
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mila C
AaronJeffrey, Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Kia Ora and thank you for your recent review of Oaks Shores!
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of our property and found the courtesy bus and staff helpful!
The rooms with 'A' at the end of them are our hotel rooms and are our smallest room types with limited views of the lakes. The majority of our other room typesare larger with full kitchen and laundry facilities and uninterrupted views of the lake.
I appreciate your feedback about the housekeeping service you received and will be following this up with the Housekeeping Manager. I apologise that your daily service did not occur correctly each day!
If required, we do have additional towels for the sauna and other supplies available at reception which is 24/7.
I acknowledge all your comments about internet and the layout of the building and apologise for the issues with housekeeping.
I do hope that you do choose to come back to Oaks Shores and experience the larger room types!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights and a number of reasons made our stay really fantastic

1. Queenstown is just supremely breathtaking; and the hotel overlooks the iconic Lake Wakitipu

2. The apartment is self sufficient and layout (2 bedroom unit) is really nice

3. The front office folks are truly dedicated to their jobs to ensure guests feel welcomed and enjoy their vacation

However just minor complaints - wifi access is very limited (unless paid for) and the rooms and bathroom doors have no locks

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ian T
AaronJeffrey, Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Kia Ora and thank you for your recent review of Oaks Shores!
I am so pleased to hear that your stay was fantastic and you enjoyed the views and room offerings. I am glad that the staff made you feel welcome and will pass your feedback onto our team!
I apologise for the limited wifi. We do offer free 30 mins wifi per room per day but this can become quite popular at peak times. I have also passed your raised issues about locks onto our Maintenance Officer to see if this is something we can offer in the future.
Once again, thank you for yuor review and we hope to see you back in Queenstown soon!