“Lovely property, very well located in a beautiful town!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Peppers Beacon Queenstown

Peppers Beacon Queenstown
Ranked #30 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Geelong, Australia
“Lovely property, very well located in a beautiful town!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our recent stay at Peppers in Queenstown was amazing.
On arrival freshly baked bread in our room was a special touch and the view from our 9th floor 2 bedroom apartment was one of the best I have ever seen.
The heated floors in the bathrooms were very nice given that it was so cold outside!
The fireplace worked well and was a lovely focalpoint in the apartment.
We did get a little cold and repception bought us over another heater, which was fine as our children were old enough not to touch it but for little kids it may have been an issue.
The walk into town is about 5-10 minutes on the flat so very easy and very safe as it is well lit and their is a path off the road as well.
The only reason I did not give the property 5 stars was due to some poor room servicing on our second last day, the management did however approach us and apologise for this which was good as it showed that they take client feedback seriously.
I would definitely reccomend staying here to others and we will certainly be back!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Ashley G, Front Office Manager at Peppers Beacon Queenstown, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Candice1978.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at Peppers Beacon. If you plan to return please call me and I will ensure that you get given another great room to enjoy,

Best wishes for the rest of your travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nerang, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed for five nights in mid-June, just before the Winter Festival.

We had a twin studio room with separate living area and bedroom. Only being two of us, the room was spacious enough - living area had both a couch and dining table.
The heating in the room was amazing - nothing better than coming out of 4/5 degrees back into a nice warm room, the electric blankets on the beds were also a nice little bonus.

Our room was on the seventh floor of the back building - same floor as the gym and breakfast room and offered stunning views from our balcony.

Continental breakfast was included for us and the following food was available: toast, pastries, cereals, fresh fruit, tea/coffee/juice. You can pay to upgrade to the hot breakfast but the continental buffet is more than sufficient.

Only a short walk into town, plenty of shopping (majority of shops open until 9/10pm) and restaurants to choose from.
The closest major supermarket is at the Remarkables Town Centre which you can either drive to or catch public transport. There is an oversized Four Square supermarket in town but as it's not a big chain, you end up paying a lot more than if you went out to New World.

No problems with noise from other rooms during our stay and certainly no concerns for our safety, at either the property or walking around Queenstown at night.

Parking was complimentary and easily accessible, although the front car park was small, we never had a problem getting a park.

Staff were friendly on reception on both arrival and departure, even offered hot soup on a nightly basis as you were coming/going.
Only exception to the staff would have to be on our last night when I became violently ill with food poisoning - my mother rang the front desk asking if they knew of any after hours doctors/medical centres etc, they told her they would call back to assist but never did and future phone calls went unanswered.

The gym was pretty basic and we never used the spa so unable to comment on that.

Would recommend Peppers to others.

1 Thank BNielsen
Kia Ora B Nielsen,

It sounds like you had a great stay and would make a great Sales Manager for our little slice of paradise. I appreciate your honesty and value your feedback today. We look forward to your next visit to Peppers Beacon.

Kind regards,
Sunshine Beach, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I've stayed at Peppers Beacon Queenstown with my family on 3 previous occasions without concern, apart from a bit of room noise from other apartments at night...Nothing that would warrant comment...Queenstown is, as you know, a fun-loving town. However, on a recent stay at this hotel, my family was subjected to a near all night assault of obscene language, loud music, and drunken revelry from a party being held in one of the rooms at this resort. It ended after 3am in the morning, complete with bottle smashing and further foul language out the front on the Esplanade, as some of the "guests" made their way home. Several phone calls to management throughout the night/early morning were to no avail...They apparently would not/could not do anything.

The real concern was that the following day, when I approached the daytime management staff and asked them of what they were prepared to do if it happened again, their response that "they would inform the night time duty manager in advance of the previous night's event"... It then became obviously apparent to me that there is, in fact, no night time security staff at Peppers Beacon Queenstown...Yep, if there's a drunken mob in your room next door, or the floor above, it'll be up to YOU to fix/solve it, because Peppers Beacon have NO onsite security staff...Just a night-time duty manager who...although potentially informed...will be reluctant to get involved.

Given the size of the hotel, I find this a real concern....Basically no onsite security whatsoever.

Regarding the room attendance, we were there for 5 nights....our daily room attendance only occurred twice. Admittedly, the first day we told them not to bother, as they came at 4pm, and we were just back from skiing, and coming so late didn't suit the family machinations. What was surprising is that 2 days later, they came at 5pm..Yep, 5pm when we had guests over for a late afternoon gathering before dinner...Naturally we told house-keeping yet again not to bother, but I couldn't help but wonder if the 5pm approach was staged...Who the heck wants cleaning staff in their apartment at 5pm at night?????

So no, Peppers Beacon Queenstown was unfortunately a huge and expensive disappointment for us on our 2014 trip...

2 Thank daveh h
Kia Ora daven h,

I was very disappointing to hear of your late night ordeal due to the disorder of other residents using the complex. I could certainly imagine that it would not have be pleasant at all, especially having the young family there who would have been effected by the use of inappropriate language coming across. We have no concern with the security threat of non residents tying to access the building at night due to our current security system and would under usual circumstances have full control over the noise levels of its guests by our multiple onsite Managers all night. There are a small number of apartments that are managed by a different booking agency and it appears that they were unable to be of assistance in containing the behaviour of one of their guests which unfortunately can reflect poorly on Peppers. However a trespass notice should have been issued then and there for these unruly bottle smashers.

Regarding the problem you had with the servicing of your room, I am sincerely sorry that this was not completed at a much better time of the day for everyone. I can assure you that any late services are not staged and would be due to an exceptionally busy day and would most likely be one of the last rooms before retiring for the day. I can understand how this would affect your evening and opportunity to socialize after a day on the slopes.

We highly value your repeat custom with Peppers Beacon and would hate to lose your return visits after this disappointing stay. There are one or two exceptionally quiet apartments due to their unique location next to unoccupied units that we should be able to reserve for you if you did decide to want to return in the future.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and we look forward to hearing from you again if we can be of serves to your needs in the coming years.

Kind regards,
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Peppers Resorts are suppose to be a high quality accomodation but we received the worst service ever on two occasions. The cleaners left wet sheets in our room obviously forgotten and there was past occupants undies still in our room!! After numerous times of explaining my food allergies I still received egg in my dinner after waiting over an hour for room service. The staff just arent up to the standards that they charge and advertise and we wont be ever staying at their resorts again

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank JeremyBlairVictoria
Dear JeremyBlairVictoria,

Thank you for reporting your feedback to our Resort Management once again. I trust that our response to this occasion was more than satisfactory and that you were able to enjoy the remainder of your time visiting the sights of Queenstown.

All the best and thank you.
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I read the mixed reviews on Peppers Beacon in Queenstown and was unsure about what to think until I arrived. Wow, wow, wow! I booked a Garden view room, it should have been called a garden/mountain range view room. I couldn't have asked for anything more. It was a 2 bedroom suite with kitchenette, it was so perfect for my family with two small children. The rooms were generous, clean and the living area had the most incredible view, we also had a great outdoor setting and shared courtyard with BBQ facilities. Breakfast was the best I have ever had for an included continental breakfast, the service was flawless, the food impeccable. The breakfast room was really family friendly with high chairs and super friendly staff. Free wifi in the business centre was perfect and the guest laundry was great. All of the staff were always very helpful. There was also a gym and spa. The location was perfect, not right in the middle of town so it was quite serene, it was only a few minutes walk along the stunning lake into town. I would definitely stay there again!!

Stayed June 2014
Dear Becsta 81,

It was a pleasure reading your review today and thank you for such a glowing and positive feedback. I was thrilled to see that our Garden View Suites were perfect for your family.

The team at Peppers Beacon look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

We arrived at 9am after picking a flight to coinside with the early check in I had asked for and were turned away and told to come back at 1pm. Our room was large and quite cold although very clean and well stocked. The staff seemed constanly bored, I dont think I saw one of them smile the whole time I was there. All in all I would say it was an average stay and I probably wouldn't return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lisl T
Dear Lisi T

Thank you for using Trip Advisor to review your stay with us. You feedback is important to us and help to inform and educate other travellers and provide our hotel with valuable knowledge of our guest experiences. Your comments have been noted and will be followed up where needed.

Thank you once again Lisi T.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had a lake/mountain view suite on the 3rd floor early May for 5 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Room and bathroom(with bathtub) was clean, comfortable and had great views across the lake. Beautiful warm fire, comfy sofa and all appliances. It was great to have a washing machine and dryer in the room and full siize fridge. The staff were always helpful and polite .
Negatives- yes the bed wasn't that comfortable - 2 singles together and one lower than the other so i continuously found myself rolling down the hill ( although my partner slept fine. ) There is no covered roof over the balcony on this floor so when raining you cant use the outside table and chairs ( a bit of clear sheeting on the top would be great) and yes the balcony door is a trap- i shut myself out three times,luckily there was someone inside to let me back in. It would be good to have a handle attached on the outside so people can pull the door open? I found myself taking my phone outside with me just in case .
Would we stay here again? yes definately, we loved it at Peppers Beacon and we loved Queenstown! Cant wait to go back again.

Room Tip: i would go with our room again- i think it was 308-3rd floor (facing the road )end room on the right...