“Stunning scenery with a nice room”

Alexis Queenstown Motor Lodge and Apartments
Ranked #28 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Burlington, Vermont
“Stunning scenery with a nice room”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Really the Alexis could be called a hotel, it has a nice patio leading to the rooms. It features a great lake view (pictured) in front of the mountains was a great stepping off point for us on our outdoor adventures in Queenstown. The staff was courteous, and helped us book activities and leave our car in the garage while we were rafting.

Room Tip: they're all great and face the water.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Turkish first
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This motel is very well situated and only 10 minutes walk from the town centre. Our 2-bedroom unit provided spectacular views over the lake and mountains in all directions. The staff were welcoming, efficient and extremely helpful with information and arrangements. There is good covered car parking.
We had an excellent and most enjoyable stay here and would definitely return.
Queenstown is also a superb centre for activities of all sorts, and has a great variety of dining options at all price levels. It completely eclipses places like Te Anau.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wdcw
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Arrived at Alexis on a Saturday night after my flight was delayed @ 6 hours. The room had been pre-paid and I offered my credit card to Adrienne as you usually do at check-in. Adrienne's response was - well are going all rock star and going to trash the room? That's pretty well their approach - they were straight forward, friendly and incredibly helpful. I asked for and got great advice on where to eat as a solo traveller and not feel like a loner. Kelly suggested walking downhill to the centre of town for dinner and if I didn't feel like the walk back, catch a taxi for @ $10 NZD. It was a great idea. (although I had a rental car, parking is expensive and traffic in the city centre is often congested)
Great laundry facilities in the garage.
For the first 3 nights I had the spacious studio with kitchen. The view certainly was superior
The parking is undercover, and Adrienne & Kelly let me leave my rental car overnight while I went on a tour to Doubtful Sound,
Its this sort of fantastic service that I really appreciate when travelling by myself.

Room Tip: Spacious room was excellent, but I think all the rooms here are great.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The Alexis Motor Lodge is a very good motel more or less in the centre of Queenstown. Our accomodation was lovely, large living / dining are with kitchen and 2 beds, seperate double room and bathroom. All the windows had a view if the lake and mountains.
The staff were really helpful and went out of their way to help, book trips and give you knowledge of the area includifng sending you to the best supermarket.
My daughter left some clothes and they sent them back to UK for which I am grateful.
I couldn't fault the lodge, well appointed accomodation, freindly staff, good location, underground car park. No problems at all thank you I would love to visit Queenstown again shame it's so far away.

Room Tip: All the rroma re good with lake views
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Our extended family stayed in a number of rooms for several nights upon completing a camper van tour of the South Island. The staff were excellent ! Nothing was a problem, they even looked after our baggage after we checked out whilst we had lunch. DVDs for the kids and beautiful views of the lake from the deck, we will be back.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 10 nights during our trip to Queenstown in July 2013. The place was good value for money, had spacious rooms, great views and friendly staff. We were a little unsure of where and how long to stay in the place as this was our first trip to Queenstown. We decided to modify our booking mid trip so we were able to visit a couple of different places along the West Coast. Upon hesitantly approaching the staff at late notice to modify our booking, they were more than accommodating to make everything work for us. Nothing we asked or requested from Adrienne or Kelly (the hotel management) seemed to be a burden or hassle for them. I would stay here again and recommend anyone travelling to Queenstown to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joel S
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. I have mixed views on this place and when it comes to Queenstown overall, so I will go through the good and bad.

I booked the "panoramic honeymoon suite" expecting exactly that, i.e. uninterrupted 180 degree views, however when I saw the room, there was a large window facing the road on the left, a 1.5m x .6m window facing the lake and a tiny window on the right facing town (above the kitchen sink). To me, I don't believe this is panoramic. I certainly had a lovely view of the lake from the window if I stood right in front of it, but the roof of the apartment below us was blocking the view a bit also. My view of "panoramic" is different to what I experienced. I would probably rename this "lake view" instead.

I was expecting a larger room or "suite" but the room was quite small. There was really nothing "honeymoon" about it. The kitchen was very basic and I was disappointed that room service don't wash your dishes (it was standard at the other motels we stayed at). The wifi is for 1 hour per 24 hours which is not sufficient.

On the good side however, we asked management to leave and they were very flexible and understanding. They authorised a cancellation of the remaining nights and didn't charge us, which I thought was very positive even when we checked out 2 hours after the usual time. The location is also close to town and parking is plenty.

I had expected Queenstown to be a bit quieter in the summer as I have been previously in winter and it gets very busy. We also left Queenstown to stay in Wanaka because we felt it was overcrowded, overpriced with many businesses owned / operated by foreigners. There is nothing wrong with this, but I had missed interacting with the local Kiwis. Queenstown also attracts a certain demographic, i.e. bogans and hooligans. Because there are a lot of thrill-seeking activities in the area, there are generally younger people. I found both the "locals" and tourists to be rude and disrespectful. NZ'ers are the most laid back people (especially native Kiwis) so I think it's something about that town that's just not quite right for our honeymoon.

But overall, NZ is a wonderful location for families, backpackers, couples or just solo travelling. It can be as relaxed or adventurous as one desires. The scenery is stunning, the roads are straight making it easy to get from one location to another and I encourage everyone to go to NZ both north and south island to see postcard landscapes.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AJP_Australia
Adrienne and Ke... B, Owner at Alexis Queenstown Motor Lodge and Apartments, responded to this review, 27 October 2014
Thank you for providing your honest feedback on Alexis and Queenstown in general. We aim to make our descriptions and photographs of the rooms very realistic so are sorry you never felt this way, however we never market ourselves as honeymoon suites.

As you mentioned we want everyone to enjoy their stay and we were happy to help you.

As the main tourism hub of NZ, Queenstown can often be busy and the traditional shoulder seasons are getting shorter as visitor demographics change. Some of the visitors you mention tend to arrive in Queenstown during holiday weekends, but there are more alternative thrill seeking activities for the softer adventurer which is making Queenstown a destination not just for the younger ones.

The Queenstown mix is very cosmopolitain in both visitors and residents with a large overseas element. This can often provide a more varied experience and offerings to other destinations in NZ, however we are both Kiwis and own and manage our properties, and are constantly making investments in them, particularly in fixtures and fittings to keep our properties modern. In the last few weeks we have upgrade a few bathrooms, added more tiling and improved furniture.

As you mention it is a great idea to visit both Queenstown and Wanaka as they are very different in nature and layout, yet so close, making it easy to visit both.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your honeymoon in New Zealand and it was a pleasure to host you during your stay.