“Outstanding Meal”

Amisfield Winery & Bistro
Ranked #37 of 269 Restaurants in Queenstown
Price range: US$17 - US$83
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Recommended by friends, this was one of the best meals I have had, truly delicious. Suggested "trust the chief" course which included 2 starters, a fish main and a meat (lamb) main plus a dessert and glass of wine for NZ$80. Delicious food, great flavours and well presented. Service was also top notch. Strongly recommended.

1  Thank ozallan
Write a ReviewReviews (1,311)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The emails that I got from Amisfield Bistro had this foot note.....

We’re looking for a talented Front of House Staff to join the Amisfield Bistro. It transpires that there must be a real need.

Two months before our expected visit, I emailed the bistro with the following question: How is the Bluff Oyster season going and given good weather, are you likely to have oysters for our visit? I further explained that I was a Bluff oyster tragic.

After another couple of emails we worked out a booking that was acceptable and I confirmed.
I also followed up with a reminder email, a week before our visit asking that they make sure that they have oysters; could this have been a premonition?

On the appointed date, my wife and I flew into Queenstown and hurried expectantly to the restaurant, only to be told that they weren’t serving ‘a la carte’, it had stopped hours earlier in the day, and now they were in what appeared to be a ‘clear up what we have left over’ mode, renamed with the euphemism ‘Trust the Chef’; matched with their wines of course.

Staff further advised that there were no oysters to be had, and expressed surprise that we were expecting to partake of these wonderful morsels. To be honest, given the effort that I had put into ensuring a wonderful night, I was at one, transfixed and mortified with this revelation, if that is possible.
We politely explained the situation to confused but arguing ears, (how dare they argue the facts) and declined to eat a meal described as ‘Trust the chef’. I think I may be forgiven as I don’t tend to trust anyone demonstrated to be incompetents or untrustworthy.

All ended well though; we ate Bluff oysters that evening, and the following days at other restaurants in Queenstown.

Maybe you would like to consider if you would like to, ‘Trust the chef’ on a Saturday afternoon when ‘a la carte’ has been switched off!

4  Thank TuckerFiend
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We recently visited Amisfield for dinner on a trip to gorgeous Arrowtown. First the place - Amisfield is by the Arrowtown turnoff, housed in a gorgeous stone and glass building with a roaring fireplace and aged wooden beams - stunning arquitecture and a great setting for a great dinner.

We had the chef's tasting menu which featured the best of local food. As proud Kiwis we love places that do justice to local produce and this was spot on - fresh, delicious, seasonal and beautifully presented.

The service was also really friendly and helpful in every possible way. We started off sitting next to a noisy group and they were very happy to move us to a quieter table, and were helpful and friendly but not over the top. We had read some reviews expressing concerns about the service but any issues seem to have been sorted out - everyone was just lovely.

Five stars Amisfield, hope to see you again soon!

1  Thank Juliet S
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Went to Amisfield for lunch today s referred by a friend. It definitely lived up to expectation. The staff were all very very friendly and passionate about working there.
My husband and I did taste the chef whic was $65 each and had 2x small plates and 3x larger mains, and it was all cooked perfectly and with lots of flavour.
We received a mushroom and truffle broth. A seafood taster which has paua, swordfish, kimchi, cavier and seaweed (delicious).
A ricotta and pumpkin ravioli with a crunchy layer of leek (amazing)
A seafood dish with clams, potatoes, fish, onion, berries, pink peppercorns in a broth.
A apple cleaner.
And finished with delicious tasty lamb, pumpkin, a beautiful lettuce dish with honey dressing and a dish which was something like barley (tasty)
A good way to try things you may not normally choose. The chef takes local fresh produce at the time so the menu hanged constantly.
We are not big wine drinks so can't comment on the wine although it was nice.
Location is set in nice surroundings and its nice and warm by the fire too.
Definitely worth a visit...

1  Thank April-c-is-me
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Went to several wineries in the area for lunch and wine tastings.

Amisfield is not bad, but given the richness of wine and food in the area it falls far short of the mark. Of all the wineries in the area we visited, their food was the least impressive, had the smallest portions and was the most expensive. Service is also slow. Wine tastings are a little more expensive than other wineries too, and they won't allow tastings with lunch.

The best combination of food/wine in the region is Mount Difficulty - both wines and food are out of this world! We missed it while we were at Amisfield. Closer to Queenstown is Gibbiston which also has a nice coffee shop and cheese shop.