“Absolutely fantastic!”
Review of Oaks Club Resort

Oaks Club Resort
Ranked #34 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed 24 January 2009

We stayed in Oaks Club resort during Christmas break 2008/2009. It was excellent!!!! The apartment was better then you can ever imagine. We stayed in deluxe 2 bedroom apartment with the amazing, uninterrupted view on the lake with the huge balcony. The apartment had 2 bathrooms (in each bedroom), laundry, dishwasher etc. Apartment was serviced daily and they even supplied us with dishwashing and washing powder everyday.

While we were there we looked at other rooms and yes, the previous person is right, it’s better to pay extra and get the great leaving conditions. If somebody is interested we stayed in 402 apartment. We definitely is going to stay only in it next time. We (2 couples and a toddler) paid $400 per night, which is $200 per couple. For the Queenstown it’s not very expensive. Would definitely recommend this place if you stay in deluxe apartments. The only thing that they don’t have hotel sign, and we had difficulties to find it, but I am sure they will do it soon.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank scorpio030

Reviewed 23 January 2009

Family of four - 2 Adults and 2 teenagers with four nights in Queenstown. I booked via the NZ Entertainment book for $202 NZ per night which was pretty good. It is a difficult place to find if you don't know where it is as it is not signposted... watch the numbers on the street and you have to go down a narrow right of way. Check in was fine. Hotel is built into hillside so is 9 terraced levels with 8 apartments across each level. The carparks being under the terracing levels 4 and 5. Next to all apartments numbered 8 is a big building site with digger and rock breaker.. this starts at 7am and finishes about 6pm. We were put in a standard 2 bedroom apartment 707. I thought it strange to be one apartment away from building site when the hotel was not full but noise didn't bother us
too much... Views of lake and mountains very good. Apartment had two bedrooms - one as you enter and then master between this and the lounge/dining/kitchen. The one bathroom (shower, sink, toilet) was between the two bedrooms and was quite small. You can access the bathroom from either bedroom and it doesn't lock which wasn't great when you are sharing with a male and female teenager!
Lounge had one leather couch and a large ottoman. Again I thought strange to have one couch for four people. Two LCD tvs - one in lounge and one in master bedroom. That was all lounge had... it was combined with dining which was a table and four chairs. Kitchenette had two element cooker, microwave and one drawer dishwasher. Fine I thought until we cooked tea and the sink wouldn't empty - wastermaster wouldn't work and was clogged with previous peoples rubbish. Disappointing as Oaks in Australia are vg. Final straw was when we went to bed and my husband saw something sticking out from under bed... it was rubbish and ladies underpants!! Next morning early I went o reception and complained. Guy on duty said sorry we can move you if you want. I went and looked at a 2 bed 2 bathroom apartment on 6 but it was recessed so had no views hardly with apartments on either side jutting out and blocking views further. I asked what else he had - I wanted two bedroom, two bathroom, full kitchen and laundry. These are deluxe and at an extra cost of $30 per night I jumped at it. It was so much better, like a different hotel. Two much larger bedrooms, two separate bathrooms, full kitchen with full f/f, dw, microwave, full oven, washer, dryer, huge lounge with two leather couches, ottoman, cabinet, coffee table, 6 seater dining table and a massive deck with unobstructed views for miles of lake and mountains - beautiful views. Really nice! So my advice is pay more and insist on a deluxe unit - ask to see them, which is what I did (after poor first night). We were in 403 so away from diggers too and apartment close to carpark. You need a car as too far to walk to town. About 10 mins to airport and about same to town. New World near airport and Fresh Choice in town both good supermarkets.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ryck
Reviewed 8 January 2009

Our stay here was lovely. We had a great view of the lake, the room was lovely and the staff were great. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WWtravelsAustralia
Reviewed 5 January 2009

We booked a one night stay at the Oaks Resort as a stopover on
our journey from nelson to invercargill. After an 11 hour drive we arrived in Queenstown however struggled to find the hotel. The Oaks resort did not have a sign that could be seen from the road so after several attempts to find the place we called into another hotel to ask directions. We were informed by the manager of this hotel that we were the third group of people that day that had called in to ask for directions! When we eventually found the Oaks Resort ( which was down a secluded road ) we were very disapointed. We booked a one bedroom apartment, but were actually in one bedroom of a two bedroom apartment with a dividing door locked off to prevent guest wandering into eachothers room. We had no kitchen facilities as we had been expecting. It soon became apparent that the other room was occupied as we could clearly hear talking and the tv from the adjoining room. We asked to move rooms, and were re-located into a room which was dirty, the toiletry packets in the bathroom were opened and there was a poo in the toilet! At night we could hear lots of noise from outside, it was like staying in a youth hostel! To top everything off despite not having anything from the mini bar or having any additional expenses the $100 bond that was taken by swiping our credit card on arrival has yet to be returned to our account. This was despite being informed by the recptionist that the bond money was just put "on hold" while we stayed at the resort and would be returned to us as soon as we checked out.
Our overall impression was that the Oaks resort had been hastily thrown together to make as much money as possible out of the tourists with no regard to what their experience whilst staying in the resort was like. I have never previously made any reviews on websites such as this, however I am aware that for many a visit to Queenstown is a once in a lifetime opportunity and would not want others to have the same experience as ourselves.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Anne2009
Reviewed 26 October 2008

We booked our night here a few weeks before our arrival, but the day before we arrived we decided to head to Milford Sound for the day so sent an email to the reception at 1pm the day before our expected check in to advise we would be arriving after 7pm. We hadn't received a response by 8am the next morning, but didn't think anything of it.
On arrival after a 12 hour bus trip we found a sign saying that reception was closed and to pick up the phone for assistance. I did and was put through to Oaks Shores and advised that we were here and had advised by email that we would be late but no one was there to pick up our keys, I was then rudely advised "and I sent you an email back telling you to come up to road to Oaks Shores to get your key!" 6 days later, and we still haven't received this email she apparently sent back to us.
Went up the road to get our key, came back and then struggled to find access to the lifts that would take us to our floor as the lifts don't go to all floors and the floors can only be accessed via the car park.
Got to our room to find someone had left the heater on full all day (it was a really warm day as it was) and that we had a room on the corner with a view of a work site and a wall of dirt, not a "fantastic view" as they advertise.
The kitchen wasn't stocked well with crockery and cutlery, all we had was 2 wine glasses, 2 cups and saucers, 1 small plate, 1 drinking glass and 1 knife!
Also the bathroom was a little odd, there were 2 shower heads, 1 was a big round one that I was almost hitting my head on in there-I'm only 5ft tall! The second had a constant stream of water, as if it was a high pressure hose. We felt that the giant mirror wall in the bathroom that saw you looking at yourself while you sat on the toilet was a little unnecessary and a little unsettling.
We were woken at 7am by the workmen nailing and using a grinder! This was meant to be our only sleep in of our trip so needless to say we weren't happy.
When we checked out we asked the staff member of reception if this was the only room available last night and she said it wasn't-why on earth would a hotel put anyone in the worst room of the place if there were other rooms available?!? She said they could have moved us if we hadn't arrived late, thanks, that's really helpful!

From the start is was very clear when we arrived that this place has been slapped together to catch the overflow of tourists from the Oaks Shores and doesn't offer anything but a bed.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pinkybee
Reviewed 25 October 2008

Qualmark rated this property as 5 stars, but after staying here recently, I wrote to them and asked them to re-review this hotel. I did not have a five star experience. To me, 5 stars means nothing is better, and that's not the case here.

Examples: There's a small wall mounted flat screen TV in the unit I had. Instead of being on a bracket that lets it be moved, it's fixed in position. It's also mounted too high on the wall, so you can't see it well from any point in the room. It's only really visible while in bed. What if you want to watch TV while you're in the living area? They have a moveable bracket on the TV in their small gym, so why not in the rooms?

There's no restaurant on the premises, and no restaurants within easy walking distance, so you can't just pop outside and pick something up. It's a 20 minute walk to town along the walking trail. It can be cold and windy on the trail. No microwave oven in the room to warm things up with either.

I paid extra for a view room, but my room was sandwiched between two of the apartments which jutted out on both sides of my window. People in those other units can (and did) just look right into my apartment while I was there. You don't get a great view from the regular rooms.

The bathroom fixtures in my room weren't installed properly and were coming apart. I could also hear noise coming through my bedroom wall from the next apartment.

The rooms were nicely color cooridnated, except for the odd ottoman with its leafy print and off color. The bedroom area has a sliding door. The bed was very comfortable.

There are 2 washers and 2 dryers in the parking garage that are free to use. The gym has a treadmill, stationary bike, and a Nautilus workout station.

Don't stay here without a car. The public bus service here is very limited in where it goes and is difficult to use, as well as expensive for what you get.

Don't get me wrong... the place is nice. My problem with it is that it's rated as 5 stars, and I was expecting better. I'm rating it as a 3 on Trip Advisor, because I've stayed in 5-star properties that were much nicer than this. They had also been more thoughtfully designed with the guest in mind.

In my opinion this property should not be rated any more than a 4 by Qualmark in New Zealand.

• Stayed: October 2008
4  Thank maynard7
Reviewed 27 September 2008

Absolutley amazing appartments and view.
We stayed in 801 on the 8th floor in a 2 bed app.
Hotel is right on the lake over looking the remarkables and frankton. master bedroom looks straight out over the balcony and the amazing view . King size bed with gorgeous ensuite.
Spare bedroom was 2 x king singles with similar ensuite.
Kitchen was great with oven microwave fridge freezer dishwasher and all utensils required. plus a hidden laundry with washer / dryer.
Lounge was fantastic 2 large leather sofa's in front of a remote controlled gas log fireplace and lcd tv and home theatre.
Balcony was massive with 4 seater outdoor table and pool lounge chair.
Room was serviced daily ( bed made and rubbish removed ) and once a week ( full clean )
15 minute very scenic easy walk into town or 2 minutes drive.
Easily the best hotel in queenstown as far I saw.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple