“One of the best backpackers in New Zealand”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Te Anau
Bob and Maxine's Backpackers
New York City, New York
“One of the best backpackers in New Zealand”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I've stayed at the backpackers on 5 different occasions and loved every time!
Bob and Maxine are both very friendly and you always make you feel welcome while there.
The bathrooms, kitchen and living room are big and always clean(I even once saw Bob cleaning the place at around midnight).
The only downside to this place is that it's a bit far from the town center, but if you have a car that's fine. If you don't you can either take one of their bicycles for free or ask Bob for a ride.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank dangu

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My daughter and I arrived at Bob & Maxines in order to kayak the next day at Milford Sound.
Initially I didn't like it as we were run through a fairly extensive list of do's and do not's by Bob - and also we were in a full room of 6 people and it seemed like there was not much space. I just needed to chill a bit a we had been on the road for a few days and we were tired. However I cheered up a lot when I saw the lovely bit shower rooms - space at last! And also the kitchen/common room which was one of the nicest we were in and one of the best in terms of guest mixing and talking. It was tough leaving the next morning in the dark at 6.30am to go kayaking and we were home at about 5pm exhausted and God was I glad to be arriving back again to such lovely showers and warm kitchen full of people! I completely changed my mind and my earlier attitude. A slight downside was not being able to pay by credit card which took me by surprise as I had no cash and needed to go to an ATM - but overall we really enjoyed our stay here - we had 5 weeks of other backpackers/campsites to compare with and overall Bob & Maxines is in our Top 5 !

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Paris, France
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We stayed for one night at Bob and Maxine's backpacker. Winter time, the place was cold (no central heating in most places in New Zealand). When we mentioned that to Bob, he did not like it at all. We actually disturbed him, when we asked for extra heating and blankets in our bedroom (no later than 8pm). He was quite rude to us, unpleasant reaction and that was going on the next morning with unnecessary sarcastic comments. Maxine was also a bit weird about it all. My feeling is that they took our request as a criticism (it was only a request) and could not deal with it smoothly. If you can't handle your customer's requests in a professional manner, drop the business.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Alka G
bobteanau, Owner at Bob and Maxine's Backpackers, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
I'm sorry but I've completely forgotten what transpired with this guest. I can only apologise for any offence we cave caused. Sometimes in the colder seasons people arrive dressed for summer & we do suggest more appropriate clothing might be a good idea. We have actually given people warm clothing. Maybe the odd sarcastic comment could be made which sensitive people could take the wrong way. Kiwi humour huh!

Just to put the record straight if asked nicely we don't mind in the least requests for more blankets or another heater. I often make the point to guests: don't be cold; talk to us no matter what the time is.

The lodge is only 5 years old, double glazed & well insulated. Over winter there are small electric heaters in all bedrooms as we are well aware a lot of overseas people like a warm bedroom not like most Kiwi's. There are electric blankets on the two single beds in our twin room. The rooms have extra blankets in them & there are more in the common room. There is a heat pump & ventilation system for the bedrooms. There is a legendary log burner in the common room which everyone just loves.
Cambridge
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Bob and Maxine own two cats which go into the double rooms. I'm highly allergic to cats, and Bob had mentioned nothing about having cats in his emails. After spending 5 minutes in their house, I was coughing, sneezing and my insides were itching. Given that, through no fault of my own, I couldn't stay the night, I approached Bob to cancel my stay. He was very confrontational and rude. His defence for not telling me was that "everyone has cats". He tried strong arming me into paying for my entire two night stay, but eventually relented with payment for half the night. I was very disappointed with the experience, especially since I was trying to cancel before noon, and since it was clearly his fault that he hadn't mentioned the cats.

As a side note, the private rooms are not in the Backpackers. They're simply guest bedrooms in Bob and Maxine's own house. So they are, in effect, homestays rather than hostel rooms. They were also fairly expensive, for $10 more a night, I got a private studio closer to town in Bella Vista where I didn't have to share a bathroom.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank David B
bobteanau, Owner at Bob and Maxine's Backpackers, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
I'm sorry David that it didn't work out. Can I suggest you clarify before booking that the accommodation is feline free as obviously you have a severe allergy. In our experience most backpackers lodges feature a friendly cat or three. We love our little cats & to pretty much all our guests playing with them is a highlight.
I recall I was doing other stuff when you approached re a very late cancellation so I'm sorry for being a bit abrupt. We had carefully kept your room for you during a very busy time & turned away many inquiries.
People who stay wth us & have the double room invariably love it. The room is really quiet & peaceful but there is the wonderful social scene at the backpacker lodge. That's the huge difference to hotel & motel style accommodation & that's why we get many people staying with us who can easily afford the best hotels.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Bob and Maxine very kindly gave us a free upgrade, so we ended up staying in a room in their house rather than in the backpackers. They put teddies on the bed for us and left us nice fluffy dressing gowns, made us feel really at home. We had a lovely peaceful nights sleep too.

The backpackers looked nice too. Nice clean kitten and comfy sofas etc.

They had two very cute little kittens when we stayed who were just adorable.

Bob and Maxine were both very nice. Maxine is very nice and very chatty, you may end up talking all night!

Only slight criticism was regarding payment. We paid by card at all of the backpackers in New Zealand and we did not really have any problems doing this. However Bob and Maxine's is not really set-up to take card payments so we ended up having to wait around a while to pay and also got charged extra for paying by card. No big deal but just worth bearing in mind that it is worth bring cash.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This place won't disappoint you.
The hostel is super spacious, the lounge has all you need. Lots of books, info about NZ. You can borrow a free bike to get to town (about a 10 min bike ride).
We stayed in a double ensuite room and were shocked to see we had electric blankets on our beds. They worked amazingly well and heated up literally within minutes.
The hosts are super friendly.
The were not so keen on Te Anau itself but it is a great place to base yourself if you want to explore Milford and Doubtful. We went to both and had a great time (and weather too :).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2011

As I was travelling solo for the first time, I planned my hostels very carefully and this did not disappoint me. I stayed on 20-23rd nov, everything went well. Bob made an effort to introduce everyone to each other which I think is a very good idea. Maxime was absolutely lovely. The lounge area has a fire and is very cosy. I had no problems meeting other people at the hostel and went for a hike together. Although it is slightly away from the town center, with a bike you can borrow from the owners, it feels like 5-10 min bike ride only. To Bob and Maxime, thank you very much.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo