“You get what you pay for.”

Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park
Habere-Poche, France
“You get what you pay for.”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I was surprised upon arrival in my 'de luxe' cabin with private bathroom to find that I was given a bag of bedding and expected to make up my own bed. The bottom sheet which was on the bed was very wrinkled and the thin quilt had no cover. I told the receptionist (owner?) that I was not happy but she said they did their own laundry and did not have time to iron the sheets and the quilt was washed after every guest. She grudgingly brought me a clean sheet and got the bunk bed duvets out of a cupboard. I was very uncomfortable. I am not normally a complainer (see my other reviews) but I am very particular about clean bedding.
I was told that I had chosen an inexpensive option but at $NZ172 for two nights it was not exactly back-packer prices. I suppose I am used to a higher standard - the night before I had stayed in the Wyndham, Wanaka, with crisp white sheets and very friendly staff, a modern TV and a beautiful bathroom. The price was $NZ125 for one night.
When I asked about tea/coffee making facilities, which are regarded as standard in most hotels, she again very grudgingly opened a locked cupboard and gave me a tray with three glass cups and a teaspoon. There were packets of tea and coffee and milk in the fridge.
I paid $NZ5 for internet access for 24 hours.
I wish I had paid a little extra and had a different type of accommodation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank monacoEastYorkshire
Anna M, Owner at Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park, responded to this review, 3 March 2013
Thanks for you review and sorry you had a bad experience with your bedding. You booked a deluxe cabin which is one of our backpacker style rooms at NZD86 per night. Yes we do do all our own laundry on site and I can assure you that all linen is washed after every use. We do not iron our fitted sheets as these are very hard to iron. You were given tea, coffee, milk and crockery complementary . We did have what we call our en-suite units available for the night you stayed. These units have full linen, tea, coffee, crockery, a new LCD TV, heaters, electric blankets, and a newly refurbished bathroom for NZD105 a night.
Thanks Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

Fine for a camp ground. The motel unit I stayed in was clean and adequately equipped. Noise from neighbouring units and anyone walking past your window along the decking is heard clearly unfortunately, but it served the purpose as basic accommodation for a short stay. No views to speak of, as it's set back a few blocks from the lake, but it is only a minute or two's walk from the centre of town, and is handy to restaurants, supermarket etc.

• Stayed February 2013
Hastings-New Zealand
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Recently stayed here for 2 nights. What a fab. place to stay!! We chose a Delux cabin (ensuite)
More like a motel unit!! Great size,clean and comfortable. The park site was really well maintained and well fenced for family to safe.
Everyone there had smiles!
Also-very helpful staff with trip information etc.
BBQ available,close to dining,shopping-great base for the area.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 February 2013

This was just an overnight stay with our family (4) while in town and we arrived late and left early, but I just have to mention the bathroom! So used to motel units with bathrooms that a cat would have trouble turning in, that it was very refreshing to have all that space! The rest of the room was fine too, though the mattresses were a tad firm and it was a stinking hot night (but that wasn't the park's fault!!)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Telford, Shropshire
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Stayed for two nights at Te Anau Great Lakes Kiwi Holiday Park with a campervan on a powered site. Lovely site, very clean and well-equipped. Allocated sites on large, grassy plots with wooden tables/benches. Large, comfortable and very clean washrooms. Spacious, well-equipped and clean kitchen/dining area and lounge/computer room. Nicely tended, landscaped gardens and neat surfaced driveways. Just a few minutes walk to the town centre with lots of shops and eateries. Just a short walk to Lake Te Anau with some of the most beautiful scenery in New Zealand. The best town to stay for a day excursion to Milford Sound. All buses seem to stop here for pick-ups on the way from Queenstown to Milford.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wanderluster101
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 18 January 2013

It rained for almost two days without stopping while we were in Te Anau so we were happy that our motel unit was comfortable and provided everything that we needed. The location close to town was excellent so we could walk down the main street to the Lake and was close to restaurants and shops etc. The hosts were very helpful and provided us with information about the activities available. The holiday park ran bbq which was good value for dinner one night and movies for the kids in the lounge area. The open fire was welcoming (even on the 1st January) when it was unseasonably cold. The wireless internet was a bit touchy and we needed to go closer to the reception area to get faster access. We would certainly return to Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park and hope that it does not rain next time so that we can do our Milford Sound Cruise.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Stayed here for 1 night and no shadow at all like most places while it was extremely sunny. Places are very small, you can see both neighbours if you have both windows open and read what they have in their hands. Showers are good and enough available. Kitchen is not so good, they have warm water and you can sit there to eat easely. But in the kitchen there is only a place to cook, but without anything. Nothing to do the dishes with, nothing to cook with, you can rent that for 5 dollar at the reception.
That is not something I expect from a kiwi camping. Not cooking everyday, but did it over there and had to take everything out of my camper to be able to do that. That is a bit of a disappointment.
Camping is almost in town, with is not an advantage, other kiwi camping in town is next to the lake, which give a better view in the morning and in the evening.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Anna M, Owner at Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry your expectations were not met. Our park is surrounded by many large trees that provide plenty of shade, I'm sorry that you did not get one of these sites.
Our Kitchen has 5 cook tops and 5 sinks for doing dishes etc. We do provide dish washing liquid and dishcloths. Our kitchen was once fully stocked with pot, plates, utensils etc, but unfortunately these slowly started going missing and it was not cost effective for us to keep replacing these. We have full kitchen packs available for hire at $2.50 per person.
We are located right in town which some people find beneficial as it is only a 5 min walk to all shops and restaurants.
Kind regards