“Great meal for a group”
Review of Mainly Seafood

Mainly Seafood
Ranked #18 of 38 Restaurants in Te Anau
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Famous fish n chips, burgers,seafood, espresso coffee. All food is cooked with healthy rice barn oil and all of the fish are freshly battered or grilled to orders on site. All food can be takeaway or you can sit at a table.
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Good meal, got the meals out fast for a big group and they were really friendly.
defiantly would come back

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We rang up to pick up take away and being from Aus didn't know what type of fish was best. Had very friendly service and help choosing. Yes the fish we had is $7 a piece but Te Anau is kinda at the bottom of the earth and fairly remote so you can't expect things to be cheap. In the end they threw in a piece for free which was lovely. The fish was delicious and the chips were great too - they look like they're hand cut. Would happily recommend this place for f&c if you're looking for it in Te Anau.

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I always read reviews on tripadvisor, but never usually write them, until now.

After reading the last 3 negative reviews posted I thought I should share my experiences.

I feel Mainly seafood is great value, and for those people who think it is too expensive, you are clearly cheapskates with no real appreciation of the costs that are involved in good quality fish n chips! If you think $16 is too much for battered blue cod, chips, and a salad, don't look at the same meal at a pub or restaurant, because you won't get change from $24.

Try the blue cod burger for $11 it is delicious and you won't be hungry afterwards.

I've always experienced friendly service, and they seem only too happy to oblige with requests (I like my chips cooked a bit more than most).

As for the comment about having to pay 50c for tomato sauce, I mean really, you were expected to pay for a product you wanted? How outrageous!

3  Thank TeAnauLocal
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Total rip off for average fish and chips. $7 will buy you the fish. We opted for the "meal" - with frozen fries and a smidgen of salad - $16!! When we asked for ketchup for the fries she said it would cost us 50 cents!
Not recommended

2  Thank dale b
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The seafood we had was quite nice, although very basic. Service was army style... wait in line, order with an officious server, wait for the food and try to find a clean table. If you like a slice of lemon with your fish, don't bother going here. This must be the only seafood place in the world that has no lemon slices!