“A wonderful meal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of MacKinnon Room

MacKinnon Room
Ranked #11 of 34 Restaurants in Te Anau
Cuisines: European, New Zealand, International
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New Zealand
“A wonderful meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

A group of us had a most enjoyable evening with quality service and fabulous meals. I had the chicken and tiramisu, both of which had a very high level of presentation and tasted amazing. I will return.

Western Australia
“Eat at the restaurant you'll love the food and the service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed elsewhere but wandered along the lake front and found this great place to eat in he evening. The food is delicious, well priced and the wait staff are friendly and efficient. After a day wandering around in the chill and the rain it was wonderful to sit down and relax with a beer and great food.

Te Anau, New Zealand
“Sub standard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

I came to this establishment twice in one week. The first time was with large group for a work function where we had a pre planned ala carte menu. The Kumara soup was like water and dished up in small bowls with an equally small bread roll. The carvery was lovely and meat very tender. We asked for tiramisu on the dessert menu and got a dry chocolate sponge cake blaaaa!! The plates etc were ordinary. Two days later I attended a second function here and begrudgingly went. This time I was a little happier as the food we had been dished up was far superior than what I had had two days prior. I question the inconsistency. Even though the menu was an ala carte for the first meal, and fine dining for the next, the service should still be the same and so should the dinnerware. I was really disappointed that this establishment couldn't' dish up a top notch service for Te Anau locals during the lean winter months. Sharpen up!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan
“Waste of time and money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2012

We were unlucky enough to have our Christmas dinner in this restaurant. This place made Faulty Towers look good. They lost our reservation, we ordered our drinks but they did not surface, in the end my husband had to go to the bar (outside the restaurant) and get his own drinks, the staff did not even notice that he was walking into the restaurant with two glasses in his hand. The service was extremely slow and the restaurant was not even full. But the worst thing was that the portion sizes were so small that even I was hungry after the three course meal. The set menu costed us NZ$ 69 per person for the food only, no drinks included. Straight after the meal we lined up at the only other place that was open on Christmas, a Pizza shop in town to supplement our meal. On checkout when we were asked about the meal we told them that we will be looking for another place to eat, which made them discount the meal, we paid for two meals instead of three, which was the best they could do but I would never advise anyone to visit the restaurant. I think they have enough business with the tour groups to want us independent travelers. Yesterday, we went to Kepler's restaurant, we had two entrees, one main and two desserts and two glasses of wine which costed around NZ$50. The service was great and one could tell that they really cared about the food they presented. Being Christmas we did not mind paying nearly NZ$70 per person but we expected something special and did not expect to be hungry right after dinner. Don't bother with this restaurant.

Visited December 2012
Nambour
“Interesting food, great service and staff with initiative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We have not stayed at this resort which hosts the McKinnon Room but have looked in a few rooms. Bus tour passengers frequently use this establishment as do many others. Yes it is aging a little but has the most amazing geographic position re: views and proximity to the shops and waterfront and they have managed to retain a high degree of elegance and old fashioned gracious service all of which tends to give the impression of old world charm.

I arranged by email to have platters and wine for my husband's birthday ordered for pickup quite late on a Sunday evening after an all day trip from the Sunshine Coast in Australia. When we arrived they had used their initiative in preparing less food than I had ordered as they realized that I had over ordered and then sent one of their staff with us to walk the block and a half to our accomodation to help us carry the large platters (we were staying elsewhere as we needed a larger space to prepare for a long tramp).

The platters were outstanding and I cannot recommend their service highly enough. The outdoor dining with fabulous views of the lake would be ideal for morning coffee, lunch or an afternoon drink.

We decided to dine on three further occasions at this restaurant over the course of about ten days and found the food great, interesting and the service of a consistently high level.

• Visited December 2011