“Pleasant meal with well cooked and presented food.”
Review of MacKinnon Room

MacKinnon Room
Ranked #11 of 36 Restaurants in Te Anau
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Like last evening in another restaurant in Te Anau, I had a steak. We ordered from the all day menu and I expected chips and fried eggs. What arrived was the steak off the dining room menu with gratin potatoes and no egg. All a little confusing for the waitress maybe for whom English was obviously not her native language. Though the meal was a little cool when it arrived, the steak was well cooked and presentation was good. My wife enjoyed her fish - which arrived steaming hot.

It was nice to sit in the warm dining area and watch the rain teeming down outside almost hiding the lake.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

This is good place to have a dinner if included in a package or if you are tired to go into a town (10 min walk). I ordered venison as main course and it was served with lots of heavy sauces . I recommend to get them on a side. The staff is very courteous. There are better choices in town if you like gourmet food. Red cliff is a charming cottage close walk from hotel. The menu features wild meat. I.e rabbit, deer. The sides and sauces looked fabulous . It is pricy. Expect $100 USD with a wine per person, incl desert.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I was lucky enough to be taken to the MacKinnon Room for dinner on a business trip. I was truly impressed with the level of service but more importantly the quality of the food! The menu was amazing and it truly was a hard decision on what to order. I had starters, a main and desert and all dishes were truly delicious - true Kiwi food!!!! The presentation of the food was also outstanding and the view from the restaurant was lovely with a really good ambience in the restaurant.

I would definitely return to dine here when I next visit Te Anau. An 11/10 dining experience!!!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I've had the pleasure of having a couple of meals at the Distinction Te Anau's McKinnon Room in the last few months.

Each meal has been superb matched by great service and a very comfortable surroundings.

I'd highly recommend it, especially with the long summer evenings coming up, when you can enjoy the views of Lake Te Anau with the sun setting behind the spectacular Fiordland mountains.

Make sure you include this venue for a meal during your stay in Te Anau!!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I've had dinner at this restaurant a couple of times, and - without doubt - this is one of the best in Te Anau. Great food - I had the lamb, and could have eaten it ten times over, as well as licked the plate after!! Seating outside overlooking the lake & mountains is great for a pre-dinner drink on a hot day, and the friendly staff ensure you never do without. I'll be back!