“Avoid the restaurant”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had hoped to experience an elegant dinner. The sign advertised that the restaurant had the best chef on the island in 2013. We asked about the chef and were told that he was no longer there but the meals would be excellent none the less. However we were very disappointed in the sparse salads that arrived costing $19. We expressed our displeasure and asked if they could improve what we had received to encourage use to stay. The salads were returned with a few more lettuce leaves and dry croutons. We finished our wines, ate the salads and then left. We then found the Redcliffe restaurant and had a first class meal. February 21, 2014

There are newer reviews for MacKinnon Room

Reviewed 23 February 2014

One dinner and two breakfasts at the MacKinnon Room were part of our tour package, and as such, we didn't expect too much. We were wrong. Dinner was as good as the pricey one we had eaten at Te Anau's #3 cafe the night before. Breakfast buffet was varied, tasty, and healthy. The wait staff was friendly, courteous, and efficient.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Like last evening in another restaurant in Te Anau, I had a steak. We ordered from the all day menu and I expected chips and fried eggs. What arrived was the steak off the dining room menu with gratin potatoes and no egg. All a little confusing for the waitress maybe for whom English was obviously not her native language. Though the meal was a little cool when it arrived, the steak was well cooked and presentation was good. My wife enjoyed her fish - which arrived steaming hot.

It was nice to sit in the warm dining area and watch the rain teeming down outside almost hiding the lake.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

This is good place to have a dinner if included in a package or if you are tired to go into a town (10 min walk). I ordered venison as main course and it was served with lots of heavy sauces . I recommend to get them on a side. The staff is very courteous. There are better choices in town if you like gourmet food. Red cliff is a charming cottage close walk from hotel. The menu features wild meat. I.e rabbit, deer. The sides and sauces looked fabulous . It is pricy. Expect $100 USD with a wine per person, incl desert.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I was lucky enough to be taken to the MacKinnon Room for dinner on a business trip. I was truly impressed with the level of service but more importantly the quality of the food! The menu was amazing and it truly was a hard decision on what to order. I had starters, a main and desert and all dishes were truly delicious - true Kiwi food!!!! The presentation of the food was also outstanding and the view from the restaurant was lovely with a really good ambience in the restaurant.

I would definitely return to dine here when I next visit Te Anau. An 11/10 dining experience!!!