“Harmony of the untouched nature”
Review of Takaro Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Te Anau
Takaro Lodge
zagreb
“Harmony of the untouched nature”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Coming to New Zealand was a completely new experience for me coming from Europe but nothing can be compared with coming to Takaro Lodge.
The nature I felt at Takaro Lodge was the purest and the cleanest I have ever seen. Mountains which surround Takaro Lodge are magnificent in their grandeur
and the river is crystal clear.
I was overwhelmed with energy of nature during my stay.
All the landscapes around Takaro Lodge is breath-taking and inspiring, so it was
a special experience of peace and harmony of the untouched nature surrounding the Lodge where I stayed.
I liked the fact that there are no roads or traffic that could break the complete silence.
Hotel is consisted of the chalets which are very comfortable, and food that was served is organic and well-balanced. Most of the food prepared is from the garden of the Hotel which has the Organic Certificate and the cook prepares their own tofu and bake their own bread. I tasted some great herbal tea from their garden.
Staff of the hotel are peaceful and relaxing.
We took some exciting trips to see the Caves and the Fjords with the boat.
Every day I have especially enjoyed long walks around the lodge, and looking at dears who would gather in front of my lodge early in the mornings.
I found Takaro Lodge a great place for complete rebalance of my organism and I will definitely next time come with some of my friends.
Branka M

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank brankam655

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We came to Takaro to take a rest and spend some time together as a group, that is not possible during our busy schedules in Auckland! We had work to do but the facilities are great with wifi and office space at the main lodge, it was all made easy. Takaro is so beautiful and peaceful and the private chef catering provided delicious Asian Pacific food too. We all really enjoyed our chalet, fresh air,walks after dinner, everything was very relaxing - it's an easy flight to Queenstown, and amazing journey, we will be back again for sure

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Vivian D
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I took my group to a Takaro Rejuvenation Retreat for a relaxing, team building, and training experience. As a Director I seek peak performance and maximal efficiency in everything I do - and that includes my time away. It requires a greater investment, but I know from previous attempts that most transformative experiences occur for me far away from home. Takaro delivered by providing an unobtrusive base for developing our programs. Whilst we worked in the main lodge meeting room, the kids were entertained outdoors. The private chef was really excellent - South East Asian cuisine - and was able to cater for the special dietary requirements of the kids, who enjoyed the food too, and even got to collect their own eggs from Takaro's own farm! Our element chalets were simple and comfortable, with super bathrooms and a Feng Shui'd modern, natural style I really liked... They had set the rooms up so the nanny and the youngest child could be together. I slept so very deeply. And I loved the mornings. Exercises, fresh air and the incredible panoramic view. We made the most of the local Golf course, as most of us are avid golfers, getting lots of practice whilst enjoying the lake and its views. We also took the Glowworms trip, which the staff kindly organise along with other trips they set up for us - and otherwise spent long sunny evenings walking and enjoying this exceptionally rejuvenating space. Overall, we made lots of breakthroughs and realisations during our peaceful/ healthy and creative inducing team experiences - and we will be back for sure. Thanks to the Takaro team for making it a memorable - and fruitful time.

Room Tip: The chalets are all peaceful, comfortable and have breathtaking views. Anyway, because they use Feng...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Mary L
No. Cal.
Reviewed 11 December 2007

During a three-week trip to New Zealand, I had the misfortune to stay at Takaro. Let's begin with the 45 minute trek from the highway to the lodge. You should be warned that the drive is fairly ominous, on a very thick gravel road (not a nicely graveled road, mind you, but one with very large rocks that have had multiple trucks and tractors range over it). If you're driving, you'll want an SUV for this leg of your journey. After passing through multiple gates (which you open and close yourself), you'll eventually arrive at the "resort."

I'll give this to Takaro, it is in a serenely peaceful setting. Lovely. Beautiful vistas. However, the setting is all that Takaro has to offer. Once checking in and finding out that I was the only guest (not a good sign when all other hotels I visited were at capacity), I found that there was also no staff, aside from the receptionist. Upon my inquiry about their "spa," I was told that the pool area was not available for use, as a result of a "most serious fungal problem."

Following this, I proceeded to dinner, where I was given two courses of turnips (one where the turnips were raw and another where they had been boiled, with no seasonings). It was apparent at this point that the receptionist, who was also serving as the cook and waitress, had seemingly never been given any training in any culinary sense. After skipping dessert (I couldn't face another turnip), I retired to my room.

The lodge is comprised of chalets, which I had thought would be quite nice. I was placed into the "metal" room. Imagine my surprise when I found that there did not appear to be an article of metal in the room (I didn't really care, but it seemed to me that if you're going to market your hotel as being tied to the five elements, you might want to try to incorporate them). The furnishings are what I would consider to be "Ikea-esque". Of course, I don't mean to be insulting to Ikea, these are a low-range version of Ikea goods. The entire room was outfitted in plastic and MDF. I don't think there was an article comprised of a natural fiber anywhere (though the white nastily stained sofa might have been a cotton blend). The bathroom was fine, although lacking a shower, and the bedroom was clean, although incredibly sparse. The rooms appeared to have been designed by a teenage boy, from the outdated oversized television to the molded plastic chairs.

From the moment I entered my room, I was aware of a strange odor, one I couldn't quite put my finger on. The next morning I was able to identify it as cow manure. Not terribly pleasant at all.

I was booked (and had paid) for three nights at Takaro, and had paid for two of their "rejeuvenations." I am not one to leave money on the table, so please believe me when I say that this hotel was so bad that I decided to cut my losses, consider the $1000 I had paid for the remaining two nights a contribution to whatever commune they've got going on over there (won't go into it, but there are a lot of people (clearly not staff) living on the premises in what appear to be dormitories; it was a bit unsettling, as I had been told that the receptionist and I were the only ones on the land, and I saw others peeking out from behind curtains).

I've never posted a review before, but I felt compelled to share my experience for others who might be considering a visit there. This would be a great hotel for those who truly want to get away from it all, but that do not care about the condition of their rooms and the experience of their staff (I believe the hotel should market itself as more of a "zen" retreat, just the basics). For those who are used to higher end/luxury appointments, stay away. This is not the hotel for you. New Zealand is an incredibly beautiful country, do not waste your time at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
11 Thank JackNo_Cal_
phenomena_12, Public Relations Manager at Takaro Lodge, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
We really appreciate your feedback as it helps us to understand how we should present Takaro better. As your stay was over 5 years ago, I can confirm that both the management and staff and the marketing concept at Takaro has changed. While the emphasis has always been on peace and rejuvenation, we are no longer positioning the lodge as a hotel. It is available purely as an exclusive individual or corporate retreat and as such is in the ideal situation, as you pointed out in your comment about the "zen" retreat. Our priority is for people who stay at Takaro to have total peace , natural fresh organic food and participate in a range of on site retreat activities or trips out which we are happy to arrange. I agree that the gravel road is not the norm for most city folks and yes, most of the locals drive a 4WD as they are safer on these country roads (which you will find a few of when you venture forth on the South Island), they must be taken slowly and that way you get to take in the beauty on the way. We have our road which is private, graded professionally to level the gravel , I can only assume that you must have experienced it just prior to this as normally it is relatively bolder free. With regard to the catering, I am not sure why there were only turnips, we are bio gro certified, which is the highest standard of organic certification and we have a marvelous selection of seasonal vegetables, salad and herbs available in virtually unlimited quantities, plus free range eggs and wild meats if required, which are guests can cook for themselves or have their private chef and catering team prepare in our extensive kitchens.
Our 5 Element themed chalets are designed according to Feng Shui and as such are decorated and fitted with the colours, shapes and textures appropriate to that "element", therefore, the "Metal" element does not actually mean you will be in a chalet made of metal. According to the Chinese 5 elements, basically metals colours are white, silver and orange, it's shape is round and texture is shiny. This was used to influence the interior design in a simple, elegant and modern way to provide the occupant with the benefits and to be comfortable and to sleep well. They used as many natural fibres as possible and you will find the bedding and upholstery to be natural fibres and the carpets which are sisal.
Everything we do here has always and is always with peoples well being at the fore and as such we need to target Takaro for the right kind of people, who want this experience and value their health, otherwise they may be disappointed and that is not our wish in any way. So I do aologise in retrospect if this was not clear and I am glad that you at least enjoyed the beautiful views and fresh air. Thank you for helping us to improve.
Bradenton Florida
Reviewed 28 March 2007

I think, that Takaro Peace Resort is certanly the most "peaceful" resort in this world! Everything is so "natural", for example: The people, the food, the nature and the activities that they offer...
I'ts just something that is diffrent the other resorts(in a positive way).

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The nearest town in about 50 km
  • Stayed January 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Tourist168
Rye, New Hampshire
Reviewed 29 March 2006

We stayed at Takaro for a 5 day stay, and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. While Takaro is off the beaten path, and not a place that you would stumble into, after settling in we enjoyed the quiet and tranquility of it.

We found Joel, the owner/host, to be very engaging and accomodating who worked very hard to make our stay a pleasant and enjoyable one. The staff was also first rate, very professional, and equally attuned to making our visit a great one. Their spa was excellent, and the staff there very professional, courteous and competent.

The food was nearly all organic, raised on the property for the most part, and the preparation literally could not have been better. The chef was excellent, so much so that we asked Joel to have her come out of the kitchen so that we could meet her and compliment her on how great the food was. We were in New Zealand for 3 weeks, and Takaro Lodge had the best food we had during our entire stay.

While Takaro Lodge is "rustic" in some ways, it is a place that we quickly came to appreciate for all the reasons above. We will likely make a return visit to New Zealand, and will definitely return to Takaro when we do.

• Stayed February 2006
8 Thank Terry C
London, England
Reviewed 29 March 2006

We have visited many spas, but none to match Takaro in terms of outstanding comfort, a magical setting, superb service and treatment and exceptional cuisine. It's way off the beaten track but in our opinion this only lends authenticity to it as a Health Spa, away from the pressures of everyday existence, and the experience is more than worth the trouble of the drive to get there. We would never consider a further visit to New Zealand's South Island without returning to Takaro!
Clifford and Cecile Harris