“great track!”

Ranked #5 of 50 things to do in Te Anau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The Kepler Track is a great track with a good variety of landscapes (along Lake Te Anau, up through native bush, across mountain ridges above the tree line, etc.). For me, the best day was the walk above the tree line. We even saw keas flying and 'flashing' the lovely red underneath their wings.

The huts are well-kept and rangers are present. You need to book ahead! Don't arrive too late though. You'll miss the talk, and that's not appreciated. The rangers were all lovely though. Luxmore Hut is in a great location. Only downside was that we slept in a pretty small room and since it was cold the windows remained closed. I woke up during the night and geesh, all those beans and whatever else people ate ... (I won't go into detail. Let me just say, I wish I hadn't woken up.)

Be prepared for any weather as it change quickly so high up. We went in February/late summer, and above the tree line we were glad that we brought gloves. It can be extremely windy on the mountain ridge.

Personally, I found the first day to be the hardest, up, up, up and even further up, with still all food in the backpack.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Kepler Track was amazing! the views were spectacular and the air was so crisp. On the second day of the hike we were on the alpine part. We battled very strong winds but thankfully no rain but ended up sleeping overnight at one of the shelters. it was very uncomfortable as there was no beds so we had to sleep on the floor and it felt like the roof was gonna fly off any second but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity which i will remember forever. Overall the hike was amazing and there are a lot of amazing photo opportunities.

1  Thank Sunny Z
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I always enjoy visiting the Kepler track. I usually start at Lake Te Anau end and I enjoy finishing at Lake Manapouri end. It has some amazing views of both Lake Te Anau from the tops and Lake Manapouri. You think you have seen all of Lake Te Anau. You have not, you see a totally different view from Mt Luxmore Hut. You are in the mountains, its amazing, in all types of weather it throws at you. Yet, you want to come back, so add it to your list to do while in New Zealand

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We only walked a small part of the track, near the blue pools, but were immediately charmed. The woods are very green and there are plants everywhere. It was hard to leave the place...

1  Thank fiendejonghe
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We hiked the Kepler over Easter weekend - 4 days and 3 nights. It was awesome. The first day was easier than we expected, hiking up to Luxmore Hut was a challenge but we made it without problems.

The second day was gorgeous and stunning, but very hard. We battled winds that pushed 110kmh, but it was probably the most epic day of my life. It was a challenge, but we overcame it. Walking along the saddles is like something out of a movie - so incredible (see photo).

Third day was pleasant and pretty easy (except our feet had grown pretty sore!) There are some great views of the valley and the forests are almost mystical in their appearance. The third hut was a great place to stay as well - the Lake and surrounding mountains was excellent.

All the huts were very clean and comfortable. They were pretty warm as well and held up well against the strong wind. Plenty of space for cooking and cleaning. We saw some people cooking sausages on the first night and were pretty surprised. They said they just froze them and let them thaw all day as they walked up. Pretty brilliant if you ask me!

Bring layers and gloves no matter when you go, the wind makes it cold! And waterproof everything, if you get stuck in the rain and it is blowing sideways you'll need to stay dry.

A great walk and one we'll remember for a long time.

3  Thank Evan F