“Nothing wrong with this motel”
Review of Parklands Motel

Parklands Motel
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Te Anau
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Parklands Motel in Te Anau for 2 nights recently. We came in on a late bus but the manager was still kind enough to show us to our apartment and put on the air conditioner for us. It had a fully self contained kitchenette and quite a large sit in area ( a three seater lounge and table/chairs for 4). The bed was big, warm and comfortable. Its location is a short 5 minute walk through a park to the main street of Te Anau. I would gladly choose this motel again on my next visit to Te Anau.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 May 2012

So many of the places in Te Anau seem to charge a fortune for a view of the lake - we went for Parklands as a cheaper option that was conveniently situated. It was a large apartment with view over the park across the road. We had a balcony to sit on and the rooms were clean and well equipped. The decoration was old fashioned and a little tired - particularly the bathroom decor which needs to leave the 1970's (?) brown behind. It was the only place in NZ that didn't automatically provide us with fresh milk the second day of our stay but they did when asked. Would happily stay there again and recommend for convenience, cleanliness, facilities and price - just don't go expecting brand new fixtures, fittings and decoration.
Short walk across the park to main street - best place to eat we found was the excellent fish & chip van parked on the front. Given the number of vistors to Te Anau we thought the choice of quality restaurants serving local produce was limited - and why do they all close so early even in the main holiday season.

Room Tip: Upstairs room for balcony
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cheerychappie
Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

Stayd for 2 nights and it was really great. The owner was nice. The location is a 5 min walk to city center or à 5 min walk to the beatiful lake.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our group stayed in two different rooms - both were comfortable

The first was a double with no cooking facilities. It was towards the back of the motel and clean and comfortable. There was a share kitchen/dining area for these units.

The second was a one bedroom apartment towards the front of the motel - this was larger and had good cooking facilities.

The owner was really helpful - showed us around both rooms, made sure we were comfortable, explained how we could move the beds.

The bathroom is looking a wee bit tired - but it was clean, comfortable, spacious and warm and not overly expensive. TV in the apartment was a wee bit small compared to TVs in similar rooms elsewhere. Everything was in easy walking distance.

We had no mould, friendly help and a comfortable stay for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sariban
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Clean, friendly, comfortable and convenient before starting a morning journey to Milford Sound.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed at Parklands twice for a single night before and after hiking the Kepler Track - both times in Unit 7. My choice was largely based on Trip Advisor reviews, since there are a lot of options in Te Anau but nothing that really stood out to me. With that said, I had low expectations going into my visit.

On the positive side, this is a very basic motel, but the room was generally clean (but dated) and provided a decent place to stay the night. The studio unit was a decent size. There are very basic satellite TV options - about 7 channels. The kitchenette setup was handy. The shower provided plenty of hot water and the heater worked. The owner also graciously held a bag until I returned from my hike. The location is also fairly central (although Te Anau is so small) - about a 5 minute walk to Subway, 7-10 min walk to the main town area, and about a 15 min walk to the DOC.

On the negative side, there is mold in the bathroom ceiling (which is one of those things that just freaks me out). The laundry room (one washer, one dryer - both $2 per use) is a dark, dank pit that desperately needs to be cleaned. The property as a whole, while maintained, could really be spruced up a bit and easily just made to be a bit more attractive. I was also annoyed by the 10am checkout time, which struck me as ridiculously early; but I have since learned that the time is not exclusive to this property. Wifi is an extra $5 for an hour.

I have to agree with others' comments about the management. The manager wasn't rude or overtly unfriendly, but he wasn't really helpful or outgoing either. I was left with the impression that they just wanted you in and out with a minimum of fuss or interaction. Like another recent reviewer said, "There is nothing really wrong, but nothing was great either."

Bottom line, for the price I paid compared to what I received, and given the number of options in Te Anau, I'd look elsewhere before booking at Parklands, which I'd keep in the "last resort" column.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed - due to the recommendations of Tripadvisor - at this motel and due to the booking even for 2 nights. Our room was a remembrance of the 70s. Unfortunately, not in the state of the 70s, but with a usage of another 40 years. The only good thing was the clean bed. Whenever I thought during the day of having to return to this place, I tried to push the thought away. The motel requires urgent renovation (e.g. the 40 years old wallpaper, table, chairs, carpet and disgustingly used sofa). Also the hospitality was totally restrained: everywhere signs that you have to pay extra for something (e.g. for a cup of milk, for a coffee-bag - with two nights we only got one coffee-bag in total...). Only when we wanted to leave, the landlord became a sort of friendly and tried to smile a bit. That's not enough to advice anyone to stay there.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple