“Good base camp for Milford Sound touring” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fiordland Great Views Holiday Park

Fiordland Great Views Holiday Park
Curlewis, New South Wales, Australia
“Good base camp for Milford Sound touring”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom cabin for two nights. Cabins clean, bathroom facilities good, kitchen OK. Laundry facilities just across the lawn so gave us a chance to catch up with our washing. It is a little out of the town, so had to drive everywhere. "Great views" is a little deceiving...not that great and while the river was close the rubbish and grass detracted even from this view! Of all the places we stayed in NZ the welcome here was the coldest. Really felt we were not welcome. Bus picked us up from our doorstep for Milford Sound tour.

Room Tip: Cabins near laundry are good, not noisy but close to reception and able to keep an eye on washing fr...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AngeM2381

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We had a lovely stay here in November in our Maui Motorhome. Ended up extending our stay as it was convenient to all activities without being caught up in town. Facilities here were first class with great views and a very pleasant hostess. Very easy launching point for Milford or Doubtful Sounds.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely, clean quiet site with good new facilities . We stayed two nights here in our camper van, large spaces and lovely views. Showers excellent and good washing machines with clothes lines adjacent. We booked a trip to Milford Sound from here and were collected outside the site. If we return to New Zealand we would definitely return here.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

This is a very modern, clean and well built establishment ... but ... the woman who seems to be running the place is unbelievably bad at anything close to being called customer service skills! I had booked a kitchen unit for my son and I. A few days prior to setting off on our holiday, I noticed on the website that linen was not included. I rang the holiday park to ask what size beds there were as I would be bringing my own sheets. The response from the woman who answered the phone was very snappy, to say the least! "We provide the sheets!" To which I replied "But the website says ..." She then reiterated that sheets were included in the tariff and then basically hanged up on me. It seemed really strange to feel as though I'd been scolded at the same time as being informed that the kitchen unit was better value for money than the website advertised.

I recognised the voice of the woman on the phone as the same woman who 'greeted' us when we arrived at the holiday park. She gave me our key and showed me where the ablutions block was and then ... unbelievably said "there's a locked door in your unit which is the toilet. I will unlock that door for an additional nightly fee, or you can use the outside ablution block." I replied that we would not pay for the toilet door to be unlocked!

On our first night here, (which is tonight ... this is the first time I've felt the need to comment about an establishment while I'm still staying here) I cooked dinner but as there is no oven, I needed 2 frying pans. The information folder in our unit lists the costs of doing lots of things here ... $4 for this or $10 for that ... the hire of an electric frying pan is $6 but it's free to hire a stove top frying pan. I sent my son down to the office to ask to borrow a frying pan to which he was informed that we were not allowed to have a stove top frying pan as it would splatter over the kitchen and make a mess! I subsequently cooked our dinner using the one electric frying pan, with no cover. There was minimal splatter, which I easily cleaned up with a dish cloth. My son had the same look of disbelief on his face, upon returning from his visit to the office, as I had felt in my dealings with the woman who seems to be running this place!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Geoff H
stayfiordland, Front Office Manager at Fiordland Great Views Holiday Park, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Thanks for your review. It is standard practice to advise clients there is a bathroom available in the units on checking in, it is then their choice if they wish to upgade and make use of this rather than using the camp facilities, some upgrade and some don't which is fine. The hire of items is for use in the camp kitchen, where there are two ovens available for campers use. All kitchen units, self contained units and motels kitchens are well equipped for guest use. Once again thanks for your review we hope you enjoy your stay in Fiordland and our wonderful scenery.

Travellers are raving about these Te Anau hotels

Landsborough, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in January 2013. It was an unwelcoming experience and we felt uncomfortable when booking in. The room was adequate for our needs. We were surprised to find we had a list of 'rules' that if not followed would have resulted in a surcharge. We were really looking forward to using the spa only to be told that the cost was $10 per person for half an hour, differing from the information booklet advertising $10 per session per half hour. When we return to Te Anau we will pay more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Beverley B
stayfiordland, Owner at Fiordland Great Views Holiday Park, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Thanks for your time, our spa, sauna and fitness centre are all luxury items which are all charged at $10 per session ( a session is based on a per person charge not numerous people in a session) We have plenty of people who are only too pleased to pay to use these additional extras rather than everyone being charged for these items on arrival in their room or site charges, which is why we keep our rates reasonable if you don't require the extras. We are only 1.2km out of the town, which we advertise, have a great holiday while in New Zealand. thanks.
Tokoroa, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

We stayed here on our way to Milford Sound and would not come back as their adverts in the brochure and the actual place were two different things. When we arrived they had no booking for us which was strange as we had a confirmation from the AA site saying we had booked it.We were given a site which was sheltered but no views as advertised.The showers are not that good and the floors were wet when ever you went in.Also not enough showers or toilets for the number of sites available.The kitchen was clean but no herbs as advertised.Cost of the spa was $10 per person for 30mins,what a rip off!The management were friendly enough but they could do with a course on customer service.Also they had no eftpos machine so everthing you wanted had to be paid for in cash.
Not a good look for our tourist industry!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
stayfiordland, Owner at Fiordland Great Views Holiday Park, responded to this review, 25 December 2012
Warwick, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed at this holiday park on our way back from a beautiful day's return drive to Milford Sound. The anti-climax came when we decided to stay at this holiday park.

Now, we have had 100% wonderful experiences at holiday parks around the country and all of them have seem good value. This place was not.

The welcome we got from the lady manager was quite short and abrupt, however, looking at past comments on Tripadvisor, it seems as though she did try to make an effort, but to us it was still slightly rude. For instance, my partner asked if we could stay in a specific spot which we drove past as the park was almost completely empty. We were told "No! There has been rain in that area and you can park there" - which was fine, but she didn't ask us which one of the other hundreds of spaces we would like, she just plonked us next to an ugly shed with no views.

To be fair, the hospitality wasn't the worse thing about this place, even though we didnt feel welcome. The worst thing was that the place wasnt really set up for anyone: all the fridges had been turned off and doors left open, including the freezers. There was signs for free herbs and spices, which there was not. There are signs everywhere saying if you want anything from us then you must pay for it extra. The TV and DVD was broken and the manager's only answer was she was going to throw it out because "campers" had broken it. One shower I used wasnt hot and the other, was full of sandflies. The bins in the kitchen were overspilling. The list goes on...

This is the first campsite moan I have had on Tripadvisor, but my partner and I, and everyone else staying there were not happy with the place. We feel that the owners/managers didnt want anyone to stay there, and if they just a little effort into the place it could be pretty good. Or, not get into the hospitality business in the first place?

It is only $14 pp per night, but trust me...unless they get there act together I would definitely stay somewhere else. Other similar costing places in the South Island have really got it sussed and are busy constantly.

Room Tip: This is really down the manager...dont get your hopes up!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple