“The Place to Stay in Te Anau”
Review of Shakespeare House

Shakespeare House
Ranked #4 of 30 Te Anau B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2014

A friend recommended we stay at Shakespeare House. We arrived early afternoon in May and our host was away. We made ourselves comfortable in the enclosed patio area and waited the few minutes until his return. What a friendly guy -- and he knows the local birds, which pleased my wife to no end. We stayed a delightful two nights -- great cooked breakfasts -- and suggestions on the trip to Millford Sound and other local strolls. It was an all-round wonderful visit. We'd recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Positive Points: One of the best 'welcome' of out trip in NZ. The owner was helpful, funny, talked with you if you wanted to, left you 'alone' if you wanted too, adapted to you level of "NZ english":). Nice location, very quiet ! The place is a bit charming, each room has the name of one of Shakespeare's play.

Negative Points : Very basic, specially the bathroom. Lack of intimacy. Breakfast could be better.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed for 1 one night in a suite. Very nice, comfortable & clean. Ray was a great host, made me feel right at home. He does a fantastic cooked breakfast, made more enjoyable by the fact that he engages well with all the guests whilst cooking.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NZThor
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed 4 nights total here and were delighted by the large comfortable tidy room and the friendly and great service. Eating a home cooked breakfast with great conversation each morning added to the bonus. Admittedly we were at the tail end of the summer season, however we were most impressed with Ray as our host, who made our stay even more memorable and added to the tranquil and scenic delights of Te Anau and Fiordland. We appreciated being able to leave our belongings and car on site for the night we did the overnight cruise on the Doubtful Sounds, and also valued the where to eat tips provided by Ray.
We would definitely be back if we were ever in the area, and have and will be recommending this place to our friends.

Room Tip: We had the Romeo and Juliet room, which was comfortable and quiet, No road noise or noise from othe...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights and it was definitely one of the best stays in NZ. Ray and Margaret are friendly hosts and the rooms are well prepared and tidy up when i came checking in! The heater wasn't working at first and so Margaret brought in a portable one for me immediately, Other than that, all other facilities are well equipped and provided.

The stay is also quite a distance away from the town centre if you do not have a car, about 15-20mins walk away. But as it is also situated near the lake, I enjoyed walking along the lake to reach the centre and it doesn't feel that far for me. And the surrounding area are also quiet and you will definitely have a good and peaceful night here.

But be aware that there is a serving time period for breakfast and I'm unaware of that and woke up rather late the next morning without having my breakfast. I wish Ray could have be kind enough to make me a simple breakfast still but he just asked me to make myself a coffee. Thats where its abit commercial that I do not like about in a homestay.

But nonetheless, I had a wonderful and comfortable 2 nights stay here in overall and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice BnB in Te Anau.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good I guess!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This B & B served as our base camp while in the South Island. It was the most comfortable stay our entire trip. The rooms were large, inviting, and pristine. The host Margaret was engaging, helpful, and a pleasure to chat with. We were the only guests one morning and had an absolute blast talking with her. She and her son in law are incredible cooks -- the breakfast was delicious, and definitely one of the best we had during our two week trip!
The location is great, walking distance from the lake and main town center. Margaret also had great suggestions of places to eat and visit while there. She introduced us to L&P candy! We can't get enough and took a bunch home with us.

If I find myself back in New Zealand, I will definitely make a point to stay again at the Shakespeare House!

Room Tip: The front room we stayed in was in my opinion the best! Large windows looking into the garden, spac...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Everything was great about Shakespeare House, from its location just off Te Anau Lake, the friendly, efficient welcome by our host to the quiet, clean, comfortable and well- appointed rooms which amused us, being British, as they were all named after Shakespeare's plays and characters. After an excellent night's sleep we enjoyed the deliciously, generous breakfast in the friendly, family ambiance. We loved staying here and just wished we could have stayed longer as it is a great base for exploring this stunningly beautiful part of New Zealand

Room Tip: All rooms seemed well-appointed and comfortable to us
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple