“Beautiful stay!”

Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Te Anau
Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 29 Te Anau B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We stayed at Keiko beautiful cottage for 3 nights from 25 oct 2011 and we enjoyed ourselves truly! This is a homely and comfortable cottage and there is a magnificent garden in the cottahe. We had prepared set lunch for our kayaking trips and these are really good. The Japanese breakfast is a must try. Our hosts woke up early to prepare our breakfast for our kayaking trip!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FAMXH

Reviewed 27 September 2011

I am an international student and this is my first time traveling South with my friends. We stayed in Te Anau and we went to Milford Sound (i.e. West Coast). Keiko's B&B was UNBELIEVABLY awesome. We were warmly welcomed by the owners, a Japanese lady and a Kiwi gentleman. First thing in my sight was the Japanesey garden. A small pond with a bridge over it and fishes swimming underneath. Nicely decorated garden. The owner showed me how it looks like in spring time. BOOM! I swear I have to go back again in spring just to see the garden. The cottage was very clean and tidy. That is more that I expect from a B&B. I must say, the JAPANESE FOOD WAS AWESOME!!!!! mind-blowing!

Talking to the owners, they expended the cottages with their own hands. They built everything, even the cool fish pond. Keiko is gifted in drawing! Her drawing should be another tourist spot in Te Anau. Oh! There was a spa too. How cool it is to have a hot spa under the stars?!

The best part of the stay was totally the talk with the owners. I like going on traveling and meet new people. They are very knowledgeable about the area, the activities going on and the trips we could try. We tried the Milford Sound boat trip. I was so awed that I was totally speechless.

It is very different from Queenstown. QT is more a tourist place where you pay for the thrill. Te Anau is a way quieter place but people are more together. I like the fun in QT, but I love the interaction with the locals better. Their hospitality is what I would come back for. They are friendly not in a commercial way which I like very much. And Te Anau is a good spot for bridging to other parts of the southland and west coast. It is quiet (i.e. PEACEFUL!)

I thank them for their hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank OneSiuFei
japankiwi, Owner at Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

Nice to have lovely, cheerful people staying here that appreciate our hospitality, yummy food and Keiko's beautiful gardens, thanks.
Keiko has started watercolour painting and is producing wonderful detailed artwork, her Japanese paintings are gorgeous!

Reviewed 20 August 2011

This B&B definitely has a lot of charm. We were warmly welcome by the owner, who gave us a lot of good advice on the Milford Sound region.
However, at 170 NZD a night (including a basic breakfast), I thought it was overpriced given the size of the cottage. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Queestown - a 4-star property - for less. I am assuming this reflects the inflated real estate market in Te Anau...

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EdmondDantes_10
japankiwi, Owner at Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

Edmond was so concerned about our 'overpriced accommodation' that he took 4 months to write his review.
There is a big difference between our cottages described by Ed as 'cosy & charming' and 'warm welcome' and a large concrete block type hotel with a long corridor lined with doors.
There you hand over your credit card and the receptionist hands you the key and that's your contact with the locals.
Our 'basic breakfast' in April was cereal, fruit, homemade yogurt and toasted homemade bread, eggs and smoked salmon. I'm not how Ed got a bargin price at the Crown(did he sleep in the basement?) but the $10 extra he paid to stay here in a quiet cottage in our garden would seem to me to be very good value.

Reviewed 2 May 2011

the cottages are in a beautiful garden. we loved the japanese touch of this place: from the sleepers and crocs(for you to walk around outside the cottages), to keiko's heartfully prepared breakfast--just want we want after whole week of western dinning. a little bit pricy, but hey, you're in the milford area, with the quality and the location, it's hard to get any better. not like other b&bs in nz, internet's not free though.

Room Tip: all cottages are beautiful
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Stayed 3 nights as guests of Keiko and Kevin.
Accomodation and breakfasts were superb and the location was great being a mere 10 minute walk into the centre of the town.
Keiko and Kevin are great hosts giving valuable tips as to what to visit and where to go - Kevin also did some advance booking for us to visit the Glow Worm caves and a visit to Milford Sound...so at the end of the visit - we payed only one bill.
A must see whilst in Te Anau is the film Ata Whenua Fiordland on Film at the local cinema. Good restaurants are La Toscana and the coffee shop, Sandfly, is brilliant

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Kevin and Keko are extremely good hosts. The room was good and the garden magnificent. Breakfast was continental and healthy. Not a 'homestay' style B&B.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Let's face it, you go to Te Anau to get close to nature. It is in the middle of no where and you expect a lower level of service and comfort than you would elsewhere. Based on that I was very pleasantly surprised by Keiko's. The cottages were very comfortable and the hosts very nice and helpful. You have to see the grounds to believe them. Great flowers and nicely laid out. Unbelievable what can be done with an ordinary lot. It stands out with all of the beautiful flowers. They also do a great job of setting up tours for you and knowing the places to stop and hike.

The only thing I can nit pick about is the location. You can't walk to the restaurants downtown but parking wasn't a problem, at least in the off season. It's on the main road but there is no traffic after 10 so you can sleep without a problem. I doubt if there's any place as nice in Te Anau. If you compare it to other local places, based on what I saw, it probably gets 5 stars. If you measure it against some absolute scale, it gets 4.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
japankiwi, Owner at Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2011

Thanks for the review and to all others who have given such wonderful positive comments. I have one comment on Monon's review though-the distance to the restaurants.
Sadly I'm on the wrong side of 60 and have a banged up knee- my sinful life of hunting & treking in Fiordland and skiing up to 100 days a year has finally caught up with me.
Bravely and with stopwatch in hand I set off to try and reach the nearest restaurants unaided- I limped into the 1st group after 5 1/2 minutes-the next location with 4 restaurants and the supermarket 1 1/2 minutes later and the final area 9 minutes from home.
One minute later while watching the stopwatch I had a sudden cold feeling around my ankles-I'd walked into Lake Te Anau!
The lovely ladies at Real Journeys(the Glowworm Caves boat departs from there) warmed me up with a hot cuppa and I recharged my pacemaker for the long walk home.
I staggered into our beautiful little home and into my lovely Keiko's arms-I felt like Sir Edmond Hillary returning from his successful ascent of Mt Everest and gasped his now most famous words ' I knocked the b****** off!'
Younger readers be warned-add 30 seconds to all of the above times and if in doubt consult with your medicial advisor.
Kevin