Spent two nights here on a room only basis travelling between Milford & Dunedin. Assigned room 103, lake view. The view is nice, although there is the main road inbetween.
On first glance the room seemed ok, but look closer and you'll find it dated. The bathroom in particular was poor. The basin is too small and if you fill it with water then it splashes everywhere. The bathroom door didn't close properly so there was always a draught, which meant that the shower curtain flapped about and stuck to you when showering, not nice. The shower head was covered in limescale.
In the wardrobe I found a few poor plastic hangers which were very cheap and nasty. The room was not cleaned properly, there was dust around the desk and the stool underneath it was covered in a thick layer. The room was one of the coldest we stayed in, but the blankets provided in the wardrobe were full of hair.
Our tour operator had told us to ask to hotel to drop us of at the bus station in their courtesy shuttle when we left. I spoke to reception the night before, was assured this was ok & was told what time to be ready. The next morning it was a very different story: there was no driver available as he was attending to large Chinese tour group. The suggestion? We take our luggage to the bus stop on a trolley. I was not happy with this and in the end we walked. Thankfully it was not too far, but it's no fun with 2 large suitcases.
The hotel left a note in to room saying to rate them on Trip Advisor and there was a similar poster at reception. However, it may pay to get things right before inviting guests to do so.
The best bit about the hotel? The Chai latte in the bar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Te Anau Lake Front, a short stroll from the Te Anau Town Centre, Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas is perfectly situated for you to make the most of this beautiful area. Surrounded by extensive, colourful gardens and overlooking spectacular Lake Te Anau and the Fiordland ranges, this Hotel and Villa accommodation sets the tone for your stay in one of the world’s most breathtaking regions. Designed for your comfort, we offer 115 luxurious rooms, including Hotel rooms with Garden and breathtaking Lake Views, and a range of spacious One and Two Bedroom Garden View Villas. On-site is the renowned MacKinnon Room Restaurant offering the very best of South Island cuisine, and the Explorer Bar and Lakefront Terrace where you can relax and enjoy the uninterrupted views of Lake Te Anau. The hotel offers the largest hotel based conference centre in the area, and its very own lakefront wedding chapel, plus extensive recreational facilities, including a spa, sauna, heated outdoor swimming pool and massage services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Distinction Te Anau Hotel
- Distinction Hotel Te Anau