We stayed 2 nights here while doing a driving trip in NZ. I toiled over where to stay and was very pleased with both Te Anau and the Distinction. If it were an option I would give it a 3.5 rating as it is better than "average". We stayed in a villa which was nice---newly renovated bathrooms! It was quite large which was nice and had 2 flat screen TV, very nice and new bathroom with a large shower and a living area with stereo. Because we were in the villa it was very quiet. The grounds are very well kept---large roses growing all around. Great location right across from the lake. They do have a laundry facility which was great after traveling a few weeks. It is $6 per load--wash/dry/detergent. They do only have wi-fi in the lobby but that was OK. They have a nice breakfast buffet which they can break down cost depending on what you want. We ate dinner there one night and it was delicious! I really did not expect that it would be better than your average hotel meal but mine was quite good. Nice fillet of fish on top of watermelon and feta salad and a lemon curd tart for dessert---yummo! The staff were all super nice, helpful and fun to chat with. The maids did a very good job in cleaning the rooms. My only complaint is that there was nothing in the room to use as a stirrer when making coffee/tea but otherwise they had a nice set up for coffee/tea and a nice empty mini-trig which was great. We walked all over Te Anau and drove all around and this looks like the best place to stay there. There were a lot of tour groups coming and going but that did not bother us. I would recommend staying here if you are going to Milford Sound---it was an easy 2 hour drive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Te Anau Lake Front, a short stroll from the Te Anau Town Centre, Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas is perfectly situated for you to make the most of this beautiful area. Surrounded by extensive, colourful gardens and overlooking spectacular Lake Te Anau and the Fiordland ranges, this Hotel and Villa accommodation sets the tone for your stay in one of the world’s most breathtaking regions. Designed for your comfort, we offer 115 luxurious rooms, including Hotel rooms with Garden and breathtaking Lake Views, and a range of spacious One and Two Bedroom Garden View Villas. On-site is the renowned MacKinnon Room Restaurant offering the very best of South Island cuisine, and the Explorer Bar and Lakefront Terrace where you can relax and enjoy the uninterrupted views of Lake Te Anau. The hotel offers the largest hotel based conference centre in the area, and its very own lakefront wedding chapel, plus extensive recreational facilities, including a spa, sauna, heated outdoor swimming pool and massage services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Distinction Te Anau Hotel
- Distinction Hotel Te Anau