“Good location. Good food, Good staff, Good stay”

Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Te Anau
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

OK so here is the bottom line. Great location across road from lake and short walk to Main Street. Comfortable rooms but small bath. Restaurant offered nice selection and the food was quite good. Hotel staff were very friendly and made us feel welcome. Good place for a quick over night or as a base from which to go sightseeing.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Rvstraz
I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and we are blessed with a great location and lovely staff.
We hope to have another opportunity in welcome you back again.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed here over New Year. Weather was poor but can't blame the hotel for that! Room a little on the small side and hotel could do with a bit of TLC. But restaurant was good and breakfasts plentiful. Really could do with Wi-Fi throughout the hotel to avoid everyone crowding into the bar area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear randrnz
Thanks for your comments and I am happy to hear you found the restaurant good and breakfast plentiful. We are currently looking into wi fi throughout the hotel but do offer free unlimited wi fi in the restaurant bar and lobby.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

The hotel is situated in a great position near the centre of the town and opposite the lake. We enjoyed an exceptionally good tasting menu on our first night and an equally good meal on the second night.

We stayed in one of the lodges, very spacious. Our only minor criticism is that it was rather dark and the lighting within the villa subdued.

Dear Frank B
Thank you for your review and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the meals at the hotel on both nights. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Fiordland and New Zealand and had a safe trip home.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Good spacious car park and friendly staff. Efficient check in too and a good size clean room. We were on the ground floor and had a door to the front garden as well as a door into the hotel. We were in a rush to drop our bags and go for a meal as we had an evening trip to the glow worm caves planned. My husband went to check the outside door and found it was unlocked. I thought it was probably just able to be opened from the inside but after my husband went outside we discovered that it could be opened from the outside too. Bit of a security issue there and I'm pleased he had the forethought to check before we went out.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Northerntraveler59
I am delighted to hear you found our team friendly and efficient. I am equally disappointed to read your door was not locked and will personally follow this up to ensure this is not repeated. Please accept my sincere apologies that this happened.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We really enjoyed this hotel because it was clean and our room opened on to the lawn with a great view of the lake. The front desk was very accommodating and friendly. The bar was great but that's where you had to be to use the internet. GRRRR......I hate that! Why on earth there isn't in-room internet in this day and age is beyond me. It's good for all businesses. This place gets used heavily by tour buses and the carpet in the halls shows it. Yet the public restrooms were spotless. All that said you cannot beat this place for price and location.

Room Tip: choose a room on ground floor lakeside.

Dear padredecasa

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the hotel and found the front desk staff accommodating and friendly. We are in process of discussing internet plans for our rooms but do offer free internet and unlimited which is appreciated by the majority of our guests. I appreciate your comments on this though.
I sincerely hope you enjoyed the rest of you time in Fiordland and have a safe travel home.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

The reception staff were really excellent - they anticipated our needs and went out of their way to help us. They directed us to excellent restaurants. Comfortable and well appointed room. Excellent free Wifi, unfortunately only accessible in public areas.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear PGNM
I am delighted to hear our reception staff went out of their way to help you and offered you some good options for dining. Our guests do value and appreciate the free wifi and happy to hear you found this excellent during your stay. I sincerely hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Fiordland and have a safe trip back home.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

What a stunning location right beside the lake. Our room had a beautiful view of the lake and snow capped mountains beyond. After some hanging around we were eventually able to check in and found our way to the room. The rooms are well equipped, and have the added advantage of the view.

On arrival I went to use the Gents WC near to reception, now I hate having to paddle when I pee but the floor around the urinals was awash and stayed this way for hours, I kept checking. It was eventually cleaned but not very well.

The following morning we were booked on a trip to Milford Sound and were waiting in reception for our pick up. I popped along to use the same toilet as it is a long trip. Hooray the floor was dry. A short while later a coach arrived and unloaded a tour group, some of whom deposited cases in reception and were clearly going to check in later. After using the facilities they all reboarded to bus and off they went. Needless to say I went along to check to WC and found it in a disgusting condition, worse than the day before. We were picked up a short while later so I don't know how long it stayed like this?

I'm afraid that the cleaning (or lack of it) in the toilet was indicative of the cleaning in other public areas which left a lot to be desired.

Wi Fi was only available in the bar and reception, result, in the evenings everyone sat around with their faces glued to ipads and laptops tapping away.

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel/motel, we didn't pay for breakfast, preferring to eat in our room but we did enjoy a bar snack in the dining area adjacent to the bar and very nice it was too.

A pleasant enough stay but with a little effort it could have been so much nicer.

Room Tip: Request a lakeview.

Dear Kevin
I am happy to hear you found the room conducive to your needs and thanks for your comments about the public toilets and I will follow up to ensure they are checked more regularly. If you checked the toilets directly after a large group had used we probably didn't have time to clean until they departed but will take your comments on board to ensure we are delivering on our service standards.