“Very enjoyable stay”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Westport
Brisbane
“Very enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We stayed here in a compact studio for three nights. We were on the ground floor and there was a table and chairs outside where we could sit and have breakfast. Our motel was spotless and very warm and comfortable. We have decided we will stay here from now on when we visit Westport. Although we were in a compact studio, there was everything we needed and the bathroom was spacious with a heated towel rail. We can thoroughly recommend the Bella Vista as a very enjoyable place to stay. Our hosts were friendly and made us most welcome.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrisbaneTraveller2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
San Francisco
Reviewed 3 March 2005

I called 2-3 weeks in advance to reserve a mini studio at this motel. I mentioned that I would be arriving late and they assured me that this would be no problem since I guaranteed the room with a credit card. When I arrived, they informed me that they were full and that they would be moving me to a B&B. The woman at the reception stated that they wrote down my reservation on two pieces of paper and on one of them it stated I would be arriving on Monday and on the other it stated I would be arriving on Tuesday. Their solution to this dilemma was to book the motel full both nights and to not worry about me at all.

First of all, I don't understand why this motel writes down reservations on different pieces of paper. Shouldn't they have this computerized so that problems like this don't arise?

Secondly, the industry standard when overbooking is to send the guest to an equal or better property when this occurs. The woman stated that her friend ran a "lovely" B&B and it happened to be charging the same NZ$85 rate. The B&B was awful and a rip-off. If I had wanted a B&B instead of a motel room, I would have booked one. There is a good chance that the manager of this motel overbooks the property purposely to give her friend at the B&B some business.

It is unfortunate that this Bella Vista motel is so poorly run since I had a positive experience at another location. Until someone honest and competent is found to manage this location, I would avoid it. There are other motels in Westport. For tourists, though, I would recommend staying in Punakaiki, which is more scenic and interesting and less than an hour away from Westport.

1 Thank giantsfan2
BVWestport, Owner at Bella Vista Motel, responded to this review, 21 February 2008
We had had a no show prior to this. We sent many people to this B&B who reported back to us their stay was wonderful. Should you visit our lovely country again we would like you to have a night in a Bella Vista Motel with our compliments.
Marilyn & Trevor Wilson , Bella Vista Westport