“Very friendly helpful owners”

The Westport Motor Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We stayed one night at the Westport Motor Hotel. It is not a luxurious modern hotel but it was very clean and had everything we needed for our stay. We very much enjoyed our time here. It was quiet and well located. Did a very nice walk around town in the evening enjoying all the nicely restored homes. The owners were really friendly people. There is a lawn bowling club next door. We were asking some questions about it and the lady took us upstairs through their private apartment so we could have a good look at it from her patio. Just really nice people.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
westportmotorhotel, General Manager at The Westport Motor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Thank you for your comments we value all feed back.
We wish you all the best.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

Fantastic service, very flexible as we were late at night arriving- however this wasn't a problem for the management, they happily met us at our room with the key, well maintained rooms and great idea to have mini fridge with refreshments!! Only bother was the restaurant was an a la cart menu for Saturday night so couldn't get the normal menu but bar staff were very helpful in suggesting a place with good steak! Very excellent flexibility as we had to check out on final night at 5:30pm - got half of price back which was awesome!! Will be back next year, thank you :)

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I thought the rooms were great value and in a great location in the middle of the high street. Yes, there is an opportunity to spend some money refurbishing, but I had a wonderful stay, the room was very comfortable and this was one of the few places that I could get the English Premier League on the room TV ! Unfortunately Chelsea had QPR syndrome that day :-( The restaurant was one of the best on my travels. I had a buffet, choice and presentation of the food was excellent. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RobertBalaam
Reviewed 5 December 2012

rooms are looking very tired and need just a paint and a tidy,carpet had a lump in it that i always seemed to find,bathroom fine,kitchen facilities a little sad,looks great on the outside until you get inside,beds average,water smells and tastes bad so it is general for westport but would have been nice ti know on booking in or a sign in the room

Room Tip: a room in back row would be quieter,but front rooms maybe nicer,we had a back room
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I have stayed in the Westport Motor Hotel 3 times in the last few months while there with work. On the first visit my bag had vanished from the airport, concerning when I was in town for 3 days. The owners of the hotel did all they could to assist including ringing the Westport Airport Manager to see if she could assist with locating the bag, trying to find a computer charger, letting me use their photocopier and offering to make me tea when I must have look flustered! Over the next 3 days the same helpful attitude continued.

During my next visit the manager let me use her car every morning so I could go to the local gym! Much appreciated when I was here for 4 days working. This trip has been much the same, lending me books to read when I found myself stuck in Westport over night due to my booking the wrong return flight by mistake.

All in all if you want to really experience West Coast hospitality at its best stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We arrived at Westport tired, after a long but rewarding day enjoying sights (eg, Hokitika Gorge, Pancake Rocks) along the West Coast of New Zealand. Tired, ready to settle in an accommodation and have dinner - we had no reservations. We drove along the street lined with motels and picked one that seemed attractive - the Westport Motor Hotel. On my request, the manager affably gave me a key to a room to inspect. It was clean, spacious and comfortable. We took it - and after having a tasty dinner in their restaurant, enjoyed a good night's sleep.

The motel has an efficient design for the traveler. Each room has an external door opening to the parking lot, where your car can be parked near/opposite the door, and has an internal door opening to the hallway. Lugging suitcases a distance to your room is eliminated.

Service was friendly, extra towels given with a smile.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2012

As everyone else said, this place badly needs doing up. That I can cope with. What was unacceptable though was the friendly cockroach sitting on the bed. On the plus side, the manager and staff were very friendly, and the food in the restaurant good (although why the management thinks playing music in the restaurant and having the TV on full blast in the adjoining bar at the same time is a good idea is beyond me. It did not make for a relaxing mealtime experience).

I'm told by the locals that the Westport Spa Motel is much better.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business