“Excellent accomodation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sutton
The White Horse at Sutton
Ranked #1 of 1 Sutton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Me and my partner stayed at the White Horse Inn last monday for - unfortunately - only one night. It was supposed to be a convenient place in the vicinity of Gatwick, it turned out to be a relaxing and very soothing part of our trip in England. Nick and his son basically kept the Inn open for us: we had an excellent grilled goat cheese (as italians, we are quite picky about food), prepared on the spot by the Inn owner. He suggested us a nice walk in the surroundings, which are simply incredible: we met friendly people for their evening stroll, and found ourselves in a grass field walking in a dreamy landscape. Rooms and common areas are perfect, even with a Nespresso machine in the room. I never saw it before, in England or elsewhere. Price-wise, perfectly honest. I would strongly advise anyone to spend some time there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea C
There are newer reviews for The White Horse at Sutton

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We came across this wonderful pub during a walk over the south downs. What a wonderful find! The food was excellent, all 4 of us really enjoyed our choices, the Ale was perfect. The landlady was so warm and welcoming. The setting was just idyllic. We will definitely return!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

We had lunch here today and loved it! The garden is a lovely little hideaway and was so peaceful and relaxing, just what we needed.
My burger was gorgeous with bacon and blue cheese, really delicious. My partners prawn and smoked salmon basket looked and tasted fantastic!
Hadn't been here for about ten years, I will definitely not be waiting that long again! See you next week for more of that lovely food.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Booked a room via Booking dot Com. Checked in on time. Asked if I could extend for a second night. Was told I could. Second night was booked. Shown to my room by very pleasant fellow. Room was superb: well presented, with clean toilet, everything that I wanted. The Inn itself is located in a magnificent location for quiet getaways and walkers, yet near enough to urban conurbations such as Chichester.
I freshened up and called my secretary telling her not to bother looking for a room on the second night, as I was sorted. However, when I subsequently came down to go into Petworth for dinner I was confronted by the owner telling me that my room, for the second night, had been promised to a third party, who had emailed (after my booking was taken) to say he would like it. Thus it was double booked. There was no apology. When I tried to explain that a reservation (ergo a contract) was in place I was told "you don't know what you're talking about" in the most Basilesque and superior manner imaginable! I chose to leave, but not before being told "I don't care, you booked through 'booking dot com' so you'll be charged anyway".
Indeed I was charged, despite not using the room because of a tirade of discourtesy, and instructing in terms that my card must not be debited!
'Booking dot com' say take it up with him. He says (in writing), take it up with 'booking dot com', whilst helping himself to my sixty five pounds!
I have suggested (again in writing) a compromise, whereby a charitable donation be made to an organisation of his choice, which I would match. I have been ignored.
My Trip Advisor history will show that I don't leave negative feedback lightly, and try to see the best in all establishments. But this guy takes the biscuit!
I won't be using this establishment, or 'booking dot com' again. I'll keep control from now on!

Room Tip: The rooms looks great, from what I saw, so if you want to roll the dice...............!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank john q
nickhaj, Owner at The White Horse at Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Monday morning
Cooking breakfast receive mail from potential guest wants Tuesday/Wednesday will let me know mid afternoon....reply will hold room
Amazingly we are full this evening, am in kitchen at 5pm getting stuff on and prepping for dinner, receive confirmation by mail on iPhone ....think must put in diary when get a minute
Guests start checking in at 6pm.....see big van arrive (French number plate) got to put booking in diary and have coffee......on way to bar when barman tells me that one of guests has checked in and wants room tomorrow as well
Damn, don't believe it.
2minutes from checking in and asking for additional night guest descends from room. I explain dilemma and that I can't offer additional night as accepted booking by mail. He wasn't actually really listening to me as he pointed to barman and in a rather angry and raised voice said he had a verbal contract with him and that I should cancel the other chap
I said I don't do business like this.
He then said I therefore won't stay tonight, which shocked me as I was about to try and find somewhere else for the following night, as we do, as there are plenty of BnB nearby
I was not disrespectful or rude, but at this point I had to say stop and listen
I reiterated what had happened and it was minutes from him requesting additional night.
He had backed himself into a corner and was not willing to change his mind, I felt I had to stand firm under the circumstances
I reminded him of his contract via agent and that he would be charged if he left, as I only have 5 rooms and occupancy is key this time of year
This is what happened

We are a friendly pub with 5 rooms in the countryside. Despite born in Torquay I bear no resemblance to Basil.....although I sometimes see the Sybil in my wife

Reviewed 2 June 2013

My husband and I visited this lovely old Inn for Sunday lunch and had a superb meal. Beautifully cooked and served with a smile. There was a large very varied menu to choose from plus traditional Sunday roast. Not the cheapest of meals but you certainly get the quality of food you pay for. We will most definitely visit again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Having done at bit of research via the internet for a three day stay in Sussex and visit to Brighton, we opted for the peaceful setting of the White Horse at Sutton to rest our weary heads. Sometimes it can be a bit of a gamble when booking this way, but this lovely old pub did not disappoint! Set in the heart of a quintessential English country village, The White Horse offers an extremely warm welcome and a very reasonable midweek dinner, bed and breakfast rate.The bar and resturant is inviting and sympathetically decorated.. The owner showed us to our cosy four poster bedroom, that had a sweet little balcony and an extremely clean bathroom. Each night we enjoyed a beautifully cooked meal and hospitally from a man who never seems to sleep! After cooking for us and other guests each evening he would be up with the larks serving our breakfast! This is a rare find, and would heartily recommend The White Horse to anyone who enjoys good food, a decent night's sleep amid a beautifully peaceful setting.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed here one night while walking the SDW, It is about a mile off the path, and of course you have to come off the downs (and hence it is a good walk back up again in the morning), but it is a good choice. We had a room with a four poster. The bed was probably a bit big for the room, and it was rather awkward watching the TV, but it was comfortable enough. The hosts were chatty, and there was good food to be had in the bar that evening. Youngs beer was well kept.

Fairly standard breakfast - cereals and full english available

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RowleyEssex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
#1 of 4 in Charlton
The Old Railway Station
The Old Railway Station
#1 of 17 in Petworth

Been to The White Horse at Sutton? Share your experiences!