“Must visit gem”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tuddenham
Essex
“Must visit gem”
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I wanted to spoil my pregnant wife with a romantic night away from the pressure of our 3 year old daughter. Tuddenham hall knew this reason for our visit and went out of their way to make it special for us and even left us a nice bowl of truffel chocolates and a reserved window seat in the restraunt for dinner. The kitchen was notified of my wife's pregnancy and had prepares our table with pasturised butter along with their usual butter and made sure to mention that the meat is usually cooked on the rare side and asked if she wanted it cooked longer. Fantastic service! The food was out of this world. We were a little intimidated by the adventurous menu but we both loved all 3 courses and the appetisers even each others. One of the best meals we've ever eaten. We stayed that night in the north loft which was beautiful, clean and spacious with luxurious toiletries and refreshments. Bed was very comfy we didnt want to get out. Had a huge rainfall shower and a nice pebble bath. Cosy fire to snuggle up next to with a big bean bag but even in a lodge loft it stayed warm without the fire. They provide a telescope and some nice easy listening music on their bose sound system.

Some reviews mention noise issue with the road and aircraft. I can't say we noticed. Felt secluded.

Thank you so much Tuddenham Mill for helping make me and my wife's stay very special. If we can get babysitters in the future we will be back for sure!

Room Tip: They have a special velux window which opens up to a balcony with a canopy to use the telescope on. We had fun trying to get it to work but easy when you know how and that it isn't just a normal skylight window. Apparently the staff didnt know how to work it when i laughed about it in the morning and even their website photo shows it without the canopy up :) to do it simply turn the handle, push the bottom out to form the balcony and the top half of the window, push that up but then flip it in the frame 180 degrees, once flipped it then stays up to form an overhead canopy.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cbragg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I have thought long & hard about writing this, but feel so strongly about how we have been treated, I felt I should warn others.
* Totally understand their policy on 'cancellation', but feel this could have been handled with more kindness,thought & consideration.
* Booking for my Husband's 60th Birthday treat last Friday-Sun-booked 21st/23rd Feb 14
* Taken ill Friday with the Winter Vomiting Virus, Hubby rang hotel at 4pm/also emailed, asked to change booking
* Received email to say, not able to change, non transferable, Hubby asked if we could give this booking to another couple, which unfortunately he was not able to do at short notice. Also he was pretty much busy looking after me! (no need for details!!)
* I rang Hotel on Monday, would the General Manager ring me back (he was in a meeting).
* Adam rang back aprox 3pm, I explained we had been very worried about going to the Hotel on Saturday evening as felt the last thing they needed was a customer infecting staff/ & other customers with the virus as NHS say 24hrs after better. I ask Adam to read emails, think about the 'said' situation & ring me back, but this he would not, the answer was a very sharp no. In fact he did say the Hotel had offered to move our booking to Sat/Sun, I explained this was never given to us as an option, as we would have accepted & took a chance with me having room service for Sat dinner. I felt their handling of the whole institution was inconsiderate given the circumstances, PLUS they they made addition profit to that which they would have expected because we consumed no food or drink.

Be Aware - Accident, Sickness - You will not get any sympathy from the Manager at Tuddenham Mill, Nr Newmarket.

4 Thank Elaine C
Adam D, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Elaine

I felt compelled to reply to your review as I feel there are some inaccuracies between the conversation we had on Monday and the content of the review. It sets a tone of a general lack of care and customer service which I promise is never the case with either myself or any of my team and I apologise if you feel this is the case.

As discussed we received an email from your husband at 4pm on the day of arrival saying that you were unable to visit us. The policies and procedures are very clear on booking cancellations and the special offer you had purchased via a third party booking site also meant that the reservation is non-transferable especially at such short notice (after the stated time of check in). It was agreed that you could transfer the booking to a friend or family member and we would keep the booking in place for you.

Whilst on the phone discussing the situation I made you aware that I had read the emails my colleagues had sent to your husband and that I was fully aware of the situation which is why I didn’t need to call you back. I went onto say that I felt my colleagues had handled the situation in the correct manner and at no point was a sharp tone used. During our conversation it was suggested that unless I was willing to honour the booking at a later date or offer a refund you would have to look at alternative solutions.

I apologise once again if you feel we have delivered a lack of care as this is never the case.

Kind regards

Adam
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Tuddenham Mill rooms are almost perfect. The Mill Stream room was very spacious with a large en suite attached. A big, free standing bath accompanied a shower to give every facility required. Maybe a little more hanging space or flat surface to store items would be useful but this is splitting hairs. A mini bar is provided but not to sell you drinks ( there is a real bar for that ). In the mini bar is complimentary water and the most amazing freshly squeezed orange juice -which is topped up daily. The room also has a cafetiere and kettle. A wide range of teas are provided along with the best tasting coffee I have ever had in a hotel room. There is a good feel about the whole hotel - staff are welcoming and efficient, and the grounds are lovely. A very good offer made this a great couple of days away - I have reviewed the restaurant elsewhere. I will go back.

Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My wife booked this by chance for a night away. The accomodation was very clean and to a high standard. The food in the restaurant was superb with great views over the mill pond and local countryside. Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Exceptional service - courteous, attentive, professional and yet down to earth; Fantastic rooms (we were upgraded to a suite at no extra cost, fantastically spacious and comfortable); very good food (albeit not for the ravenous).

While the room was beautiful and the food delicious, it was the service that really made Tuddenham Mill stand out. While I hate the cliché, the staff really did go the extra mile.

I would stay again without a doubt, and recommend to anyone. I was even happily surprised when the bill came.

Room Tip: We booked mid week and just asked if we could upgrade. The staff were happy to oblige and we had a...
Thorpeness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Booked by phone, the receptionist was really helpful and I managed to get a discounted room rate and dinner included in my rate. The room was excellent, bright, clean and with excellent attention to detail. I stayed in Mill room East. Lovely views over the grounds and the river. An open plan room with a partition between bed and bathroom. The bathroom was huge with a massive bath and shower. Really nice touches in the room including complimentary sloe gin. The food in the restaurant was exquisite and offers really good value for money. Your dining experience stared in the bar with a small savoury pastry and onion emulsion. Going on to the restaurant, amuse bouche was chilled mushroom milk. Bread rolls just from the oven were excellent. Perfectly cooked boned chicken wings in peanut satay, followed by slow cooked beef cheek, then white chocolate moose, celery ice. All that for £25. all washed down by a really good bottle of wine. A defo stay for anybody who wants a luxurious night away.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We had a lovely few days at Tuddenham Mill. The food and rooms were fabulous! Love the little details, you have thought of everything. We were very lucky to have an upgrade to a loft suite due to boiler issues on the first night. These suites are amazing, a real treat! Thank you! All staff were lovely and very attentive. Wonderful place and experience, thank you :-)

Room Tip: Loft suites are truly amazing, they have thought of everything you would want. Definitely recommend!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuddenham
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
#6 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
The Ickworth Hotel
The Ickworth Hotel
#1 of 2 in Horringer

Been to Tuddenham Mill? Share your experiences!