“Perfect weekend retreat”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tuddenham
Potters Bar, Hertfordshire
“Perfect weekend retreat”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

What a lovely place!! Best Living Social voucher we have ever had. The staff were all excellent and the food was scrumptious! Lovely big Mill bedroom. Nice comfy bar area, and spacious restaurant, with food to die for. Bit expensive without the voucher, but super value with one!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Champagne27_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Cambridge
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Took my Wife for lunch on her birthday today. The staff were brilliant, the food was spectacular and we both left relaxed, contented and full of lovely food. The 2 table staff were faultless and reminded us how good service just makes a meal better. We've been lucky enough to eat at some superb restaurants, with rosettes, hats and stars; this was not out of place on that list.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jimyox
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Really is a stunning hotel in a gorgeous part of the world, great for a weekend away or if you are spending a few days in the area. BUT it is pricey all things considered - we went on a deal and so found it a bargain but, as much as we loved the place, would certainly NOT feel that paying full price is worth it. The restaurant's food was quite stunning (if you like very posh and contemporary dining, which we do!) and surprisingly good value - though time will tell whether this will remain the case now that rising-star chef Paul Foster has left. The rooms are gorgeous too - we stayed in one of the Loft Suites, which are fabulous EXCEPT for one HUGE issue... the 'open plan' bathrooms and toilet, that not only do not have a door but with the walls not reaching the ceiling. This means that if you need a no. 2 be prepared for your every body movement to be heard and smelled by anybody in the main part of the room! This is such a design blunder from what otherwise is such a brilliantly designed and run hotel - many others here have commented on it yet they had done nothing about it by the time we were there and didn't seem to want to listen to our comments about it. So bad is it that when either of us needed to do a poo we walked to the reception of the hotel to do so, which considering how much these rooms cost per night is just silly. Put a major downer on what otherwise would have been a near perfect stay. I would not return again - what ever the deal - until I knew that this had been resolved.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HMSLondon101
Ingatestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We were in a Watermeadow room in a purpose built block away from the mill. Very well appointed room indeed with complimentary slow gin,,orange juice and 'up market toiletries.The Mill has been beautifully restored and the restaurant décor is excellent. Our dinner was very good although I found the meals a little fussy with a number of ,what to me were , unnecessary ingredients ,for example,,my bavette of beef had a small portion of clams which added little to the experience. However,I am no chef. Service for dinner was excellent. My only niggle concerned breakfast where a virtue was made of everything being prepared and brought to you. This even included the cornflakes and the result was we had to wait some time for our cereals and juice. I accept they are selling a premium product but it would have been nice to grab our own cereals and juice. Having said that ,the cooked breakfast of egg and smoked salmon was excellent. An enjoyable stay,but it is not cheap

Room Tip: Whilst the Mill building is attractive ,it abuts a busy road. Go for the outbuildings where it is qu...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ALANJL55
Essex
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I wanted to spoil my pregnant wife with a romantic night away from the pressure of our 3 year old daughter. Tuddenham hall knew this reason for our visit and went out of their way to make it special for us and even left us a nice bowl of truffel chocolates and a reserved window seat in the restraunt for dinner. The kitchen was notified of my wife's pregnancy and had prepares our table with pasturised butter along with their usual butter and made sure to mention that the meat is usually cooked on the rare side and asked if she wanted it cooked longer. Fantastic service! The food was out of this world. We were a little intimidated by the adventurous menu but we both loved all 3 courses and the appetisers even each others. One of the best meals we've ever eaten. We stayed that night in the north loft which was beautiful, clean and spacious with luxurious toiletries and refreshments. Bed was very comfy we didnt want to get out. Had a huge rainfall shower and a nice pebble bath. Cosy fire to snuggle up next to with a big bean bag but even in a lodge loft it stayed warm without the fire. They provide a telescope and some nice easy listening music on their bose sound system.

Some reviews mention noise issue with the road and aircraft. I can't say we noticed. Felt secluded.

Thank you so much Tuddenham Mill for helping make me and my wife's stay very special. If we can get babysitters in the future we will be back for sure!

Room Tip: They have a special velux window which opens up to a balcony with a canopy to use the telescope on. We had fun trying to get it to work but easy when you know how and that it isn't just a normal skylight window. Apparently the staff didnt know how to work it when i laughed about it in the morning and even their website photo shows it without the canopy up :) to do it simply turn the handle, push the bottom out to form the balcony and the top half of the window, push that up but then flip it in the frame 180 degrees, once flipped it then stays up to form an overhead canopy.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cbragg
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I have thought long & hard about writing this, but feel so strongly about how we have been treated, I felt I should warn others.
* Totally understand their policy on 'cancellation', but feel this could have been handled with more kindness,thought & consideration.
* Booking for my Husband's 60th Birthday treat last Friday-Sun-booked 21st/23rd Feb 14
* Taken ill Friday with the Winter Vomiting Virus, Hubby rang hotel at 4pm/also emailed, asked to change booking
* Received email to say, not able to change, non transferable, Hubby asked if we could give this booking to another couple, which unfortunately he was not able to do at short notice. Also he was pretty much busy looking after me! (no need for details!!)
* I rang Hotel on Monday, would the General Manager ring me back (he was in a meeting).
* Adam rang back aprox 3pm, I explained we had been very worried about going to the Hotel on Saturday evening as felt the last thing they needed was a customer infecting staff/ & other customers with the virus as NHS say 24hrs after better. I ask Adam to read emails, think about the 'said' situation & ring me back, but this he would not, the answer was a very sharp no. In fact he did say the Hotel had offered to move our booking to Sat/Sun, I explained this was never given to us as an option, as we would have accepted & took a chance with me having room service for Sat dinner. I felt their handling of the whole institution was inconsiderate given the circumstances, PLUS they they made addition profit to that which they would have expected because we consumed no food or drink.

Be Aware - Accident, Sickness - You will not get any sympathy from the Manager at Tuddenham Mill, Nr Newmarket.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Elaine C
Adam D, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Elaine

I felt compelled to reply to your review as I feel there are some inaccuracies between the conversation we had on Monday and the content of the review. It sets a tone of a general lack of care and customer service which I promise is never the case with either myself or any of my team and I apologise if you feel this is the case.

As discussed we received an email from your husband at 4pm on the day of arrival saying that you were unable to visit us. The policies and procedures are very clear on booking cancellations and the special offer you had purchased via a third party booking site also meant that the reservation is non-transferable especially at such short notice (after the stated time of check in). It was agreed that you could transfer the booking to a friend or family member and we would keep the booking in place for you.

Whilst on the phone discussing the situation I made you aware that I had read the emails my colleagues had sent to your husband and that I was fully aware of the situation which is why I didn’t need to call you back. I went onto say that I felt my colleagues had handled the situation in the correct manner and at no point was a sharp tone used. During our conversation it was suggested that unless I was willing to honour the booking at a later date or offer a refund you would have to look at alternative solutions.

I apologise once again if you feel we have delivered a lack of care as this is never the case.

Kind regards

Adam
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Tuddenham Mill rooms are almost perfect. The Mill Stream room was very spacious with a large en suite attached. A big, free standing bath accompanied a shower to give every facility required. Maybe a little more hanging space or flat surface to store items would be useful but this is splitting hairs. A mini bar is provided but not to sell you drinks ( there is a real bar for that ). In the mini bar is complimentary water and the most amazing freshly squeezed orange juice -which is topped up daily. The room also has a cafetiere and kettle. A wide range of teas are provided along with the best tasting coffee I have ever had in a hotel room. There is a good feel about the whole hotel - staff are welcoming and efficient, and the grounds are lovely. A very good offer made this a great couple of days away - I have reviewed the restaurant elsewhere. I will go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuddenham
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Riverside House Hotel
Riverside House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Mildenhall
Newmarket Boutique Apartments

Been to Tuddenham Mill? Share your experiences!