“relaxing stay”
Review of Tuddenham Mill

Tuddenham Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tuddenham
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The Mill has a fantastic setting overlooking the mill pond with a view down the stream.

We were given a warm, friendly welcome at check in and waiting in the room were homemade biscuits and sloe gin from the kitchen. Nice touch.

I booked a Mill stream room to ensure a quiet room away from the main building. It was perfectly quiet even with the room next door and the loft above occupied. The room was tastefully decorated with a modern feel. There were some small marks on the paintwork but overall it was very nice. The ensuite was very large with a bath and shower. The large bi-fold doors offer access to a small terrace, but beware that other guests can see into the room when they stroll past...........

We headed over to the bar for a g&t (a selection of gin is always a good sign) and bar snacks. We settled down on the terrace to watch the swan (he can't fly), ducks and a kingfisher patrolling the pond. After a long day travelling we turned in early. The comfortable bed and motorised blackout blinds really helped to ensure a good night’s sleep.

Breakfast was mixed. The menu covers most options and the food is very good. The service was a little slow on both mornings during our stay. I had booked dinner for our second night, again the food was very good but the service was lacking.

I highlighted the concerns regarding service at checkout and received apologies and assurances from Nicolas who has recently taken over as general manager. Skipping through the recent reviews, it does seem to be a one off.

I would highly recommend a relaxing stay at the mill.

Room Tip: The 'mill stream' rooms are a short walk from the main hotel and are very quiet.
1  Thank threehens

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

This boutique hotel blew us away, we simply couldn't fault it. The rooms are filled with everything you could possibly need plus a few complimentary treats. The rooms are spacious and include lots of high tech gadgets we especially liked the bi folding doors and the Bose sound dock. The food was exquisite, we had room service and dined in the restaurant and both were equally nice. Breakfast was endless, you could order as much as you wanted and they had some really tasty choices. All of the staff were equally helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble, Jasmine especially stood out for us. The only down side was that we couldn't stay for longer! We will definitely be back. Thank you xx

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Ashley C
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one afternoon/evening/morning only, but wish we could have stayed longer. Set in a really pretty village, near Cambridge. They loan bikes too. The staff let us check in early and check out late (it was mid week). Found a cheaper price elsewhere online and when I called they matched it. They do amazing little brownie-type things (honestly, with a cup of tea these things were wonderful! We asked for, and received, more!). The rooms are just little bedsits really, but our's opened right into the garden. You receive a little bottle of (very good) sloe gin too.

The restaurant is really nice, excellent food. It's not really a hotel, as it only has 15 separate rooms. It's a bit pricier than what I would normally go for, but was recommended by friends who stayed there for their 40th birthday - they went for a bigger room, but our's was ideal for what we wanted. The staff were very nice, as attentive as anyone could want (we didn't need anything but I could tell they were ready to help if we wanted anything).

The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because we were there for such a short time we didn't really get to take advantage of all they had to offer. But I would definitely go back if I had the chance.

Room Tip: Their website describes the rooms quite well. We didn't have one of the 'big' baths, bu...
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who were friendly but not intrusive. Lovely room, great view, fantastic shower. Little details such a homemade biscuits and fresh orange juice in the room each day. We had an earlybird meal in the restaurant which was excellent value - £19.50 for 3 courses. Breakfast and room service also very good. Highly recommend and would definitely return

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gloucestershiregirls
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

As I work away a lot of the time, my wife decided to surprise me by taking me away for the evening as I returned home. I was shocked, instead of going home to see our children, I was whisked away to a very peaceful atmosphere and secluded elegant little hotel!
The rooms are individual, spacious and beautifully decorated. The room had big patio doors overlooking the meadow with a decked patio with table and chairs. We enjoyed a glass of wine overlooking the sunset whilst relaxing. The ensuite bathroom was a nice touch with rainfall shower and large enough to accommodate us both.
We chose to eat in the in house restaurant, and the food was high quality, highly prepped for a over a 5 star rating.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, very romantic and relaxing. We were both glad of the decision my wife made to stay here. Breakfast was delivered to our room and it was a touch I would recommend, whilst dining on the private decking in just the soft robes the Hotel provided!

So nice, we stayed for afternoon tea to finish our stay off perfectly! We will be back in the not so distant future and whenever people ask, you can certainly expect a grade A* for comfort! Thank you for a very pleasant and relaxing stay!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SaalemAlikum
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights before attending a wedding in Bury st Edmunds
I found the hotel on the Mr and Mrs Smith website and we had a very comfortable stay at the end of July.

We stayed in a mill stream room. It is not possible to see the stream at this time of year for the plants. The room was well presented, comfortable king sized bed and large ensuite.
There were very nice touches in the room, In the fridge each morning were 4 bottles water, a jug of freshly squeezed orange juice and on the side a carafe of sloe gin. The tea tray had cafetier and selection of tea bags.

We ate the first night in the restaurant then the next two evenings on the terrace.
The food was excellent both in the evening and at the delicious breakfast.
The menu doesn't change greatly from night to night but guess this is because the food on the menu is fresh.
Every member of staff made an effort to be welcoming and helpful. My only criticism was that when we checked in the only person around was the lovely pregnant lady who offered to help us with our bags! No man could be found so we managed The millpond was not at it's best being covered with algae due to the unusual weather.

It was very nice to return to the peace of this place after the trips into Bury and I think we struck lucky choosing this hotel.
The extra nice touch was 3 nights for 2 midweek
Yes we will stay again when visiting friends in Bury.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joules20
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at the Tuddenham Mill on Saturday night and will most definitely be returning. Easy place to get to literally a stones throw from the Motorway but turn into the driveway and peace and tranquillity awaits. We checked in and were shown to our room which was beautiful (we were in the main house). No expense has been spared and every detail taken care of. I am picky and there was nothing I could find fautly with. The bed was huge with sumptuous bedding, the double bath was luxurious as were the Espa Bath Salts, the bottles of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion, razer, toothbrush and toothpaste all provided as well. On the side was a 1/2 bottle of red wine with really good red wine glasses, in the fridge a 1/2 bottle of white, jug of delicious orange juice and 4 bottles of water. The Bose stereo and good TV completed the room. The food served in the restaurant was very nice and the breakfast was probably the best we have ever tasted. The staff were attentive and friendly without being intrusive and nothing was too much trouble. All in all a hotel most deserving of 5 stars.

2  Thank Ruth P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuddenham
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
#1 of 5 in Mildenhall
All Saints Hotel
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to Tuddenham Mill? Share your experiences!