“I wouldn't stay if you paid me” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Albury Cottages

Albury Cottages
Albury Cottages
Canberra, Australia
“I wouldn't stay if you paid me”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

The woman who runs these cottages has to be one of the rudest people I have ever met. She should be ashamed to be part of the hospitality industry, because there was nothing hospitable or professional about her service. The room wasn't available on check in, and despite already paying for our children via wotif, she snarled that there would be an extra fee per child. I don't know why graciousness seems to exist no where within this woman, but I would strongly advise family travellers to look elsewhere. The location is out of the way, the cottages pokey and the service so horrible we chose to forfeit our money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank 4kidzy

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
NSW, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

My elderly mother and I enjoyed a 2 night stay, with comfortable beds and the added pleasure of the olde worlde knick knacks throughout. Fresh flowers on arrival and a well equipped (modern) kitchen and laundry left us wanting for nothing. It is a little way out of town, but easily accessed by car. The booking arrangement is a little odd, so before you go, know what price you are paying. As the 'on line' booking link took me straight to wotif, I assumed that would be the price charged, even though I booked directly by email... to my error (& cost!). However, it is still good value for self-contained, comfortable accommodation. It is for this reason - discrepancy in pricing - that I cannot give 5 dots for what is otherwise an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Yambagal
Tocumwal, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I recently stayed at Albury Cottages. I stayed there whilst my husband had surgery at Albury Private Hospital. Iris-owner- was very friendly, offered support if needed. The cottage was beautiful, furnished well and maintained appropriately. We will stay there again and thank Iris for her hospitality. I highly recommend this accommodation option to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathy H
Phillip Island AUSTRALIA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

Thank goodness we are experienced travellers and choose to accept the glowing reviews given by 5 of the 6 reviews on this property, ignoring the somewhat ridiculous rambling review previous.
We arrived very late with one tired & crabby child, ushered into our Cottage with the minimum fuss or delay,we found heating on, soft lighting and the most delightful Cottages which were exactly as advertised & pictured on their web site. Child tucked into bed & sleeping within 15 minutes! grandparents & child's mother following shortly after.
Over the 4 day stay we had frequent interaction with the owner, Iris, who was absolutely delightful to deal with & actually made herself available to babysit for us for an adults evening out .... and this from an unfriendly family accommodation?? I think not.
Furnishings were beautiful, beds comfortable & location perfect for a quite restful break with easy access to all Albury CBD & surrounds had to offer plus for a VERY reasonable fee Iris packed us a fabulous picnic lunch basket to take on the road when we left to continue on our journey.
All in all a very good choice of friendly family accommodation which we enjoyed & I have no reservations in recommending to any family group, we will stay again on the return journey & I am sure we will have given the owner no reason to be unhappy to have us a return guests as implied on previous comment.
Keep up the good work Iris at your lovely Cottages!! see you & Teacup very soon.

Room Tip: One or two bedroom options with very little price difference, go for big!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank AussieCouple226-228
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

I have stayed with Albury Cottages two times in the past and have had no real issues and enjoyed my experience. I have in the past recommended this place very highly to all friends who make the commute between central NSW and Melbourne. However, my last experience with them has been nothing short of terrible.

On Tuesday night I made a booking with the owner directly over the phone. I stated that I would be travelling with my 14 month old daughter and that my husband may/may not join me. I was told that there was no bedding/cot facilities available for her- which my response to was no worries I have my portacot.

She proceeded to tell me that if 3 people were in the room that I would have to pay a surchage of $15. Having travelled extensively with my daughter I am quite aware that under 2 years are not normally charged for- but you may be charged for cot hire if provided to cover costs of bedding.

When I asked for clarification on whether she could legally charge for another child when no bedding was provided the owner started getting quite defensive and rude back with me saying that she had to charge more to cover the cost of insurance for the extra person and that if she didn't and there was an accident that we would not be covered and that she could tell me many horrible horror stories but wouldn't.

As I said, having travelled extensively and having a family member in the business- this response did not ring true. So I said that I would happily pay the $15 additional fee if she could confirm that this was a legal fee. After more defensive comments and a suggestion that I should look elsewhere if I did not like the fee she aggreed to take my booking on Tuesday night. As she only takes cheque or cash I was not able to put a holding deposit down even though I did offer my credit card details as security.

I was called by the owner on Wednesday morning to tell me that my booking was cancelled and that as she did not have many bookings that she planned to do maintennace on the cottages.
I responded with how could she cancel a booking when she had already accepted it- and that it sounded coincidental and more like she no longer wanted me and my daughter staying there because we simply questioned our rights. It should also be noted taht there are numerous cottages here- so if I was the only guest the other cottages could easily have had maintenance performed on them.

I have since been monitoring wotif and she still has the rooms available- so hence another lie.

I have reported this business to the Albury Tourism Board.

So overall what has always been a good experience before having children is no longer a place to stay. This lady does obviously not want family travellers as a) she does not cater for them and b) cancels bookings.

If you are travelling with families or pets there are numerous other places to stay in Albury. I was provided a detailed list by Albury Tourism who were very helpful.

I no longer recommend this as a place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Jodmister

Travellers are raving about these Albury hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

A beautifully set up group of three units in West Albury. Fully fitted out in traditional Victorian furniture. Bed a bit uncomfortable. You could call this place your home. Very well looked after and friendly manageress.
A very short drive into Albury. Highly recommended

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

‘Every moment of our short two day stay at Albury Cottages was an absolute delight – it began with the warmest welcome by Iris - Owner/Manager and her beautiful puppy Teacup, she’s like everyone’s favorite Granny!’

The entire ambience of our cottage was magical with plenty of old Australian colonial eccentricity, gorgeous gardens, original antique furnishings, a cute and cozy ‘faux’ fireplace, claw foot bath and a beautiful four poster Queen bed; we truly felt that we had ‘Stepped Back in Time!’

The Cottage had a well equipped kitchen with options of eating in, or on your front porch or private courtyard at the rear. The location was perfect, being only 6 minutes to the major shopping centre.

My partner and I usually stay at apartment style hotels with 24hr room service etc. etc. but it was only by chance and a last minute decision that we came across this unpretentious humble accommodation and you know what; we can guarantee that we will be staying there again!

“There's nothing doin', step back in time!” – Ms. Kylie Minogue

Room Tip: Don't expect to dial 9 and get room service, it is not available; just settle in and relax, we d...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rater1981
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albury
Albury Paddlesteamer
Comfort Inn & Suites Blazing Stump
The Cottage Motor Inn
The Cottage Motor Inn
#5 of 11 in Albury

Been to Albury Cottages? Share your experiences!