“Our stay”

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Batemans Bay
Sydney, Australia
“Our stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Down in Surf Beach for work and we decided to try the Swiss Chalet Spa. Our lovely hosts Herbert and Elizabeth were extremely welcoming, they made us feel like we were at home. The log fire was a big tick in my book! Bed was comfortable, views were pretty special. Although the room was a wee bit small, there is plenty of room to lounge about in the chalet, sit, read, watch tv, play tennis or table tennis or a play board games (a long lost thing of the past thanks to Xbox and stuff). I wish I had time to take advantage of the pool and the spa, and I understand you can also get a pretty amazing swedish massage - NEXT TIME ELIZABETH!!!! would I stay there again - absolutely. The only thing I would suggest is a coffee pot on the boil in the common area and perhaps a few biscuits or pastries - once you get there, it's hard to leave to hunt for food (and cold in winter). Thanks again Herbert and Elizabeth.

Room Tip: If you can, get the room with the balcony - much nicer and a bit more roomy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Karen L
Herbert M, Owner at Chalet Swisse Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Karen and Steve,

Thanks very much for your kind review.
We are glad you enjoyed Chalet Swisse Spa - with all the facilities and the fire place.
We will take up your suggestion to have a Coffee and cookies available in the guest lounge - good idea!

Elizabeth and I look forward to see you again in the near future.

Kind regards, Herbert.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have been staying at the Challet on many occasions and enjoyed every bit of it. I get to relax in the quiet and serine environment but my 9 year old son get to have an action packed weekend with indoor swimming pool (good for cold/wet South coast weather), spa, bush walks, tennis and archery. Family cabin has everything you might need to feel at home. And even though the facilities are not new they are well maintained and have nice homey touch to it. Herbert and Elisabeth were always welcoming and friendly and make you feel like you are the part of the family and always happy to have a chart near the communal fireplace or assist you with any enquiries. I never had any issues with any of facilities complains above. The TV and fridge always worked perfectly and on some occasions (when I had relatives visiting) I slept in the bank-bed with my son and it was not big but it was comfortable – so I did not lose any sleep over it.
Chalet is the perfect getaway if you need a quiet place away from city noise but with activities to keep you entertained and enjoy the fresh air.
Thank you Herbert and Elisabeth for a beautiful home away from home you create for your visitors!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Herbert M, Owner at Chalet Swisse Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Alexandra,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. Its always a pleasure to have you, Natasha dn Nikki here with us. I know Nikki wants to constantly use all our facilities, so you have not enough time to socialise with us. Maybe next time. We look forward to seeing you again soon, hopefully before Natasha returns to St. Petersburg!

Kind regards, Herbert & Elizabeth.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We tried on a couple of occasions to book a family room at the Chalet Swisse but found it booked out - which one would think is a very encouraging sign. We subsequently found out that the owners take vacations and close the Chalet Swisse down which explains the lack of vacancy when we need to visit the coast!
This would have been a good place to visit - about 20 years ago. It's in desperate need of a major overhaul. The rooms have somewhat Spartan décor - plastic chairs, laminex table tops, linoleum floors are not my idea of a modern Spa resort! Despite our best efforts, we couldn't get the hot water going in the family cabin, but that's ok, we just used the shower in the adjacent cabin!! The bunks are tiny so take note if your kids are teens or older!
On a brighter note, we did have fun on the archery range, the morning before we checked out. This isn't a family resort - it would probably better suit retired couples who fancy the bush walking trails and peace and quiet that is in abundance.
The manager and his wife were lovely, welcoming and polite but that didn't make up for the decidedly tired facilities. Swim in the murky green floored indoor pool at your own risk!!
This would be a great place to stay if they spent some serious money on refurbishments and facilities - the location is great, away from the noisy coastal holidaymakers.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Rowan W
Herbert M, Manager at Chalet Swisse Spa, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I find it an amazing suggestion that we should not take some holidays in a quiet trading period!
The Cabin you stayed in was classified as 3.5 stars but to say "spartan" is totally exagerated. We have had many happy families coming back year after year
I remember very well the debacle we had when we had trouble with the hot water system and that we could offer you to either move into the Cabin next door or just use the shower.
When you arrived you could have objected to the size of the bunk room and we would have happily refunded you deposit.
Your sincerely, Herbert.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

When we arrived we were shown a very small room, more like a cupboard, and asked to be upgraded. We were given a cabin, still very small, but adequate. However we didn't get the breakfast included. The second bedroom where my adult children slept was like a walk in wardrobe. They couldn't be in the room at the same time because it was so small. There was no lighting outside which made it very dangerous to find your way at night from the car park to the cabins.
I didn't think is was value for money. We could have stayed closer to Batemans Bay in more modern cabins at a cheaper price. We won't stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KarennL_12
Herbert M, Manager at Chalet Swisse Spa, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Guest,
We regret that you were disappointed with Chalet Swisse Spa.
You booked a Family Room - which you found small - certainly "No Cupboard" - and I accepted your comment that it was "a bit small" - even though we had many happy Families staying in that room. After showing you another - somewhat larger Family Room, I also showed you a self contained Family Cabin. You decided to stay in the Family Cabin. The cost of the Cabin was actually a bit more expensive than the Family Room including breakfasts.
If you were not satisfied with the Cabin you should have said so and your deposit would have been refunded - no questions asked. We have automatically switched lighting on all walk ways and there is a light outside the Cabin.

Sincerely, Herbert.
Aiken, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Chalet Swisse last spring. Our impressions were so different from those of most reviewers (including the April 1 review from a couple who were there at the same time we were), that I wonder if we were at the same Chalet Swisse. I admit that my expectations were based on the glowing reviews I read on Tripadvisor; I dismissed the negative reviews as coming from just a few bad apples.

On the the plus side, Elizabeth and Herbert greeted us effusively. They were officiously friendly throughout our one-night stay, made sure we knew about the archery equipment, the barbecue, the well-chlorinated indoor pool, and the bush walks. They even loaned us a torch (at no charge!) to help us navigate the uneven, unlit path to the laundry room after dark. Our room was spotlessly clean, if a bit dated and worn at the edges. The grounds were lovely.

On the minus side, the wifi and TV in our room didn't work (we found out after 10:00 PM, therefore didn't mention it until we checked out the next morning).

Breakfast appeared to be calibrated to provide each guest with 2 slices of bread, 2 slices of cheese, 2 slices of cold cuts, and a choice of drinks (coffee,tea, and a variety of milk and juices). There may also have been cereal and yoghurt. It was the skimpiest "continental breakfast" I've ever seen (B&Bs I've stayed at in Switzerland, inter alia, offered an emperor's banquet in comparison).

In his responses to earlier reviews, Herbert noted the Chalet's "excellent facilities which are inclusive with our rates and which comprise the main cost of our rates . . . a heated indoor pool, hot spa, full size tennis court, table tennis, an archery range, bush and rainforest walks on 80 acres, an ocean view cafe verandah, and Day Spa . . . ." "The cost for these facilities and the overall experience, staying at Chalet Swisse Spa, is the total cost. We do not charge extra for the facilities and it is the guests’ choice to utilize these facilities."

Herbert forgot to mention the extra charges for UTILIZING those facilities: $5.00 for cleaning barbeque tools, $5.00 per lost arrow, $3.00 per lost tennis ball, $5.00 per person cleaning charge for plates and cutlery used for take-out, . . . . Guests are admonished to "please use your OWN beach towels for the pool," "we cannot accept that meals are eaten in your room," and "please inform management ASAP if any soiling to bedding or carpet has occurred."

In 40+ years of travelling, I have never, ever stayed anywhere where management told paying customers not to eat in their rooms and to report soiled bedding or carpet (!). No matter how many years of travelling remain in my future, I hope never to do so again. I guess that makes me one of the bad apples.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Maria R
Herbert M, Owner at Chalet Swisse Spa, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We are sorry that you did not find Chalet Swisse Spa to your liking. We thank you for appreciating our friendly service and cleanliness of your room and our lovely grounds and gardens.
However, I would like to clarify a few points: All our TV's are switched on and checked before a guest arrives. The FREE Wifi works, because even the laptop in my office is connected to the same wifi router; but you need a password for access which you can pick up from the reception.
The continental Buffet Breakfast consists of a variety of breads for toasting, cheese, salami, tomato, gherkins. A variety of 5 different cereals - even gluten free! Fresh milk, organic Soymilk and lactose free milk. Yoghurt, prunes, fruit salad. Orange juice, Apple juice. Fresh fruit. We serve excellent brewed coffe, decaf, a variety of teas and herbals. The breakfast bar is continually refreshed. An "Emperor's buffet" is also available if you are prepared to pay the extra cost! Hot breakfasts are mentioned in the food section in your room compendium.

It seems to me that a charge for damage or loss to our property is just.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We loved everything about Chalet Swisse. There are various activities you can undertake - tennis, table tennis, archery & bushwalking. The room was clean and comfortable. We enjoyed the breakfast spread which was available at a reasonable time (8.30am - 9.30am). We loved the spa which we found was a great way to end both days we were there. Being away from the main hub of Batemans Bay the Chalet Swisse is so peaceful, which very much appealed to us both.

Herbert and Elizabeth made us feel very welcomed throughout our stay. We look forward to returning there in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Herbert M, Owner at Chalet Swisse Spa, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Stephen and Angela,

Thank you very much for your kind review: the continental buffet breakfast; the activities, pool and spa and the tranquillity.
We hope to see you again soon - perhaps during the cooler months when we have the fire going in the fire place and serve you our famous "Gluhwein" - hot mulled wine.

Best wishes, Herbert & Elizabeth.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My partner and I booked the mothers day special at the Chalet Swisse.This is truely a retreat away from it all set on 80 acres with bushwalks and surrounded by nature and providing birdwatching.
They provide great facilities which we did not get to use since we stayed for 1 night only.
Elizabeth and Herbert are very friendly and made us feel at home.
The room was very comfortable and clean.
I took advantage and allowed myself to be pampered with a massage.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Herbert M, Owner at Chalet Swisse Spa, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Shaz,

Thank you so much for your nice review. Very glad you had a great Mother's Day weekend and it was so nice chatting with you and exchanging travel tales. Hope to see you again soon and having a glass or two of our famous mulled wine by the open fire place!

Kind regards, Elizabeth.