“Maybe not next time.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ben Chifley Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bathurst
“Maybe not next time.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

For $195 for a 2 bed room per night was VERY expensive. Pool had mould in it and rooms very dated.

• Stayed December 2011
6 Thank Greatnortherners

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
NSW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2011

We got accomodation in the middle of the night here. The receptionist was lovely and wasnt a bother to her at all. Excellent people!!

• Stayed February 2011
      Sleep Quality
hurstville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2009

I have stayed with this motel for near on three years, The motel has just had a change of managers or owners, not for the better- arrived to the hotel to check in at 6pm was greeted by three people stuff in behind the counter each with their own idea of what needed to be done, no one new how to use the computer or print my meal ticket, I must say they all seemed flustered and it really showed. Rooms are always really nice and clean but breakfast the next morning was very plain not what I had been used too. Bring back the old managers or owners. I will try them again in a few months to see if its any better.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank mowers4u
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2009

This was my second trip to bathurst and I choose the Ben Chifley again due to the enjoyable experiences I had the first time. The staff were very helpful even when I had trouble gaining access to the internet, a manager came to my room to assist and next thing I knew was I was connected. The rooms were very modern and clean. I know exactly where to look for a hotel room the next time I visit Bathurst.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Scoob11
NSW
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

I was looking to book this property for a large sporting group, I live within the same region as the Ben Chifley and decided I would go and inspect the property prior to confirming the booking.

On entering the property reception I was met by a gentlemen with whom I discussed the possibility of inspecting one of the rooms available to ensure the size etc was sufficent for the group.

The service that followed can only be discribed as appalling.

For no other reason than possibly he was offended I asked to view the property (this is all I could think of) this man just let the verbal abuse fly.

As I turned and walked out the door, the last thing I heard was him saying he would call all other motels in the city in order to ensure I could not make a booking at any other establishment in the city.

As a young woman on my own I found the behaviour of the gentleman extremely indimidating.

Following my terrible experience at the Ben Chifley Motor Inn, combined with the very dated and basic state of the premises I would say travellers beware of this motel.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing!
  • Disliked — The horrible manager.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank Elim08
motel11, Managment at Ben Chifley Motor Inn, responded to this review, 29 January 2009
This lady wanted to book 8 rooms for the Bathurst 12hr and was told that we had only a few room left and they were older budget rooms. She asked price and then requested to view rooms, She was informed before vewing our rooms that as we had a lot of problems with Guests from the previous year we were infroming guest of our new strict Guest policy of Zero tolerance for drunken noisey guest, she informed me that "i asure you we are not that type of people" When I informed her that all guests need to be aware and agree to our special events policy. She became verbal and said she doesnt think she will look at the rooms and thats the one and only post on trip advisor was right and that she will tell all her freinds not to stay here.

last year we had that many problems, and as we live onsite with a young family, we dont want to be woken at all hours with noisey drunk guests scaring my family and other guests.
Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2008

Booked ahead by phone, partly on price and room type availability, partly RACV guide which listed internet as available. No fee was indentified in the listing. When we arrived, discovered there was a $30 fee for access (24hrs). When my wife said that no fee was identified in the RACV guide and our experience was that unless the fee was mentioned in the guide, this meant that it was included in the tarriff. In discussion with the person at the desk, who identified herself as the manager and stated she had to do what the owner wanted, my wife quietly asked her to inform the owner that we would not be staying at this property in the future since this was not congruent with our needs. My wife purchased a 24 hour internet access card.

When she returned to the office to get the correct card, having discovered that she had been given a one hour card (with two free hours) the owner told her she had been rude to his wife and that this was why she had received only the one hour card. He had apparently been listening in the next room, and as we would not be revisiting his establishment in future, that we had to leave the premises at once and that if there had been any damage to the room he would still charge us for the night's accommodation. He also said that as she was clearly from outside Australia she didn't understand how things were done here. As it is she migrated from Canada about 40 years ago.

After reloading our luggage into our car I asked for an inspection of the room to avoid any later 'misunderstandings' he declined, and put a reversal on the credit card. He also told us that he intended to contact our employer to inform them of our behaviour, we were actually travelling on personal business, so this was a curious statement. He also promised to call all other motels/hotels in town to make sure we did not get accomodation elsewhere that night.

I will not describe the rest of my interaction with him, but suffice to say, it was quite unpleasant, as he became quite abusive, eventually telling me to get out and that if I stayed in the Reception he would have me chaged with trespass.

Warm and friedly it wasn't.

• Liked — The building was OK
  • Disliked — Guest relations
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank tpvtraveller
motel11, Manager at Ben Chifley Motor Inn, responded to this review, 26 January 2009
Its a pitty that some guests forget the real story, like how internet was demanded as per the guide, and how they would never stay again becuase we would not give free internet, and lets not forget how terriable the managers were when they went to great lengths to ensure personal belongings that were left behind by a huffing puffing husban was returned to then quickly. Some guests expect everyting but want to pay little, we offer value for money accommadation and yes extras do cost.