“Excellent Country Town Hospitality!”

Winter-Rose Cottage B&B
Ranked #10 of 17 Bathurst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2012

It must puzzle readers as it did me that the previous review was so full of negativity when all others are extremely positive. One can only be left to ponder the author's personality, unreasonable expectations and intent in writing such malicious comments. My husband and I can verify all the positive written accounts that have been posted about this lovely little B&B and the owner.
Ann Maree was most welcoming in inviting us into her home for our two day stay. She had a fire that constantly burned day and night in the guest's lounge room. Although below zero outside, the house was cosy and the bed that was fitted with an electric blanket and a fluffy doona ensured we had a good night's sleep.
The breakfasts were a highlight as the quality of the home cooked meal was excellent! Nothing was too much trouble. One morning, three different hot meals were cooked and delivered similtaneously, to suit the tastes of all guests. The table was set with the nicest crockery and the little extras such as serviette holders, potted tea and peaceful background music made the experience all the more enjoyable.
The garden was lovely and we came home with a potted rosemary and two jars of Anne Maree's delicious homemade jam.
The previous writer was disturbed by the room being entered throughout the day. Isn't this what occurs in all establishments when cleaning staff make beds, vacuum, replace or dry wet towels etc?
Although I am a pet owner to two cats and a dog, I am not in the habit of taking animals on holiday. However, I would imagine it would be a requirement of health inspectors that sleeping and eating areas be thoroughly aired and cleaned to eliminate odours and pet hair. It would be therefore reasonable to expect a cottage that had a dog residing in it, would be aired and an additional cost would be incurred for shampooing carpets.
I would advise anyone considering staying at Winter Rose Cottage to take into consideration all postings on this site to obtain an overall objective review.
My husband and I enjoyed our stay and we would recommend it to others. Thank your for your hospitality Ann Maree.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 April 2012

I would like to start my review by informing all readers that I have stayed in many B&Bs around Australia and abroad. To this day I have never been so disturbed by a B&B as I had in this place.
Upon arrival we were approached by a woman who started barking her rules at us before we had a chance to turn our engine off. There were so many ridiculous rules to follow from where we had to park in line with the gate to making sure our puppy doesn't break a flower in the garden, after saying our puppy was free to roam. About an hour after our arrival (which was delayed substantially by her as she didn't have the room ready) I was in the bathroom preparing to go out and the woman who owns the granny flat (which is by no means an historical cottage) stormed into our room unaware i was there and yelled 'oh my gosh' very hatefully and turned both lights off ( we had turned them on as it was dusk). I was told to 'be more frugal with the lights'. I had to turn the bathroom light back on to finish getting ready. Every evening we arrived back from our day at about 8pm after the Bathurst show. On both evenings our space was invaded and all windows were open in 3 degree temperature. We had left all of our belongings in the room and came home to an insecure cold room. The old screen door had been ripped off the track because she couldn't get into OUR room when we had left. When we came home we thought we had been broken into. I approached the woman. She rudely told me that she had removed the screen door because we didn't shut it properly (after locking the main glass door)and it got jammed when she tried to open it. All that was needed was to put it back on its track, yet she angrily ripped it off the track screw and all and had it rested against the cottage wall then proceeded to accuse us of breaking her property and said we had to fix it. The bathroom was not cleaned, the sheets weren't changed, the towels were not replaced, there was no soap, and the few tea cups we left in the sink had not been rinsed. When i asked her why she came in, she replied ' to clean'. She came in there to open the windows and curtains and god knows what else. Nothing had been cleaned, however she did vaccum the floor. Our bags were rearranged on the beds, even our personal belongings were moved.

If you choose to stay in the PET FRIENDLY granny flat with a pet you are charged an additional $25, even if your dog doesn't make any mess. I questioned this charge and she told me it was to have the carpets professionally cleaned. I asked her to show me the receipt and she said she does it herself with her own cleaning product. The carpet is approximately 6x4m in area. On top of the carpet is a queen bed, two bedside tables, a couch, a coffee table and a single bed with an additional mattress. She only cleans around this furniture. You can understand my amazement that someone can charge additional costs of $25 and still complain they had to do it, keeping in mind there was not one mark made by us on the carpet and she was using already purchased materials. After charging the astronomical fee she complained about our kelpie pup putting his moist little nose on the sliding door and said she had to spend time cleaning it. I asked her why it was an issue for her to wipe the bottom quarter of the glass door. She turned and walked off to her heritage cottage which had a raging open fire going in it.

She was argumentative, rude, unpleasant and cruel and sneaky, I highly recommend you find alternate accommodation in Bathurst as you should not have to pay $345.00 for 2 nights to have your windows left wide open and to be abused after a long day spent with your sick mother for her birthday. I was so saddened to think that someone could be so horrible on such a lovely day and after meeting so many lovely hard working farmers at the show.

The granny flat was very outdated, very very cold, we even had to put the electric blanket on the bed ourselves. There is a door that is locked inside the granny flat and you are not permitted access to- a little too spooky for mum and I.

Everyday our flat was unlocked and our things had been moved. It was so invasive and on a few occasions we felt like there was someone lurking in the 'spooky room'. A DVD player was advertised and only a VCR was provided.

After driving 5 hours to spend the weekend with mum to have it ruined by a tyrant was just hopeless.

Lastly to top it off when I told her $345.00 was too much to be treated like this she shut her front door in my face 'laughing, saying thanks for your money'.

We were also blamed for scratching her furniture, something that was untrue. What a horrible frightening experience.

Thanks for ruining my mothers birthday Anne-Maree.

• Stayed: April 2012
12  Thank Demountable
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My wife and I were fortunate to experience the hospitality of Anne Marie and the lovely accommodation at Winter Rose cottage. We stayed for 2 nights and found it all very enjoyable. Our room was spacious and comfortable. B&B is not our usual choice of accommodation but we were very pleased with the whole experience. Well done and thank you Anne Marie. Alan and Dee

Room Tip: We booked the Gold Room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
winter-roseBathurst, Owner at Winter-Rose Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Dear Alan and Dee,
Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure having you at Winter-Rose Cottage.
Hope you will continue to go to B&Bs.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We have just spent a very comfortable night in the self contained cottage.It is spacious and quiet with a lovely little private verandah to relax on.The surrounding cottage garden is delightful and was a lovely place to eat our excellent takeaway dinner from the local Lebanese restauant. We also enjoyed the walk along the river which is within easy walking distance from the B&B. Anne-Marie's breakfast the next morning was delicious - especially her home made jams! Make sure you buy some of her jams to enjoy later at home!

Room Tip: The cottage costs a bit more but is self-contained and very private.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
winter-roseBathurst, Owner at Winter-Rose Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2012

Just sent you a thanks for your review but forgot to say that I found it on Trip Advisor and the thanks came from Winter-Rose Cottage
Bathurst

Reviewed 21 January 2012

My husband has spoken often about the wonderful stay he and his brother had at Winter Rose Cottage a few years ago after a long and tireing day on their motorbikes, so what a pleasant surprise I had, when I was fortunate enough to experience Anne-Marie's hospitality first hand after yet another long bike ride recently! The lovely cottage we were bustled into after being allowed to put our bikes safely in the backyard was just what the doctor ordered complete with coffee and home-made cookies. The cottage was amazingly well stocked with TV, videos, books, A/C, playing cards, coffee etc,
After relaxing on the porch with our coffee and cookies we eventually took a walk into town for a meal. Breakfast the next morning was indeed special, as Anne-Marie used freshly picked home grown vegetables. We were now ready for the next part of our journey! Thank you, Anne-marie

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your fantastic review, especially for mrntioning home made products. It was such a delight to have you visit. I always wanted to ride a motor bike but have no courage. Keep safe

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Let me start by saying I've seen my fair share of B&B's. Most of them on Melbourne's 'The Dandenongs', or the 'Yarra Valley'. The shame about those B&B's was they relied on their locations reputation to snag your business, and little effort was put in to the experience at the B&B itself.

Well, move over Melbourne B&B's, Winter-Rose Cottage could teach you a thing or two! Anne Marie has been running Winter Rose for 20 years, and she knows her stuff. The rooms are enchanting, immaculate and there a plenty of little touches that surprise and delight (we stayed in the Gold Room but I had a squiz at the blue and rose room, both also very olde worlde and lovely!). You can tell she cares, and wants her guests to have a lovely time. Sprawled on the comfy queen size bed in my room, gazing out the bay windows to the immaculately tended gardens I had to remind myself I was in suburban Bathurst, and not some country hideaway!

Booking into Winter-Rose was done on a whim, my purpose for visiting Bathurst was- you guessed it, a partner with a penchant for high octane excitement. I had an inkling that Winter-Rose would be a calm oasis in a sea of blokey paradise and I was spot on. Just walking into the garden is calming in itself, and Anne Marie soon makes sure you feel welcomed and relaxed within moments of greeting you.

A 'Continental Breakfast' is included in the extremely reasonable room rate. I expected the usual fare, a box of tiny Kellogs Cereal, a sachet of milk with no name tea and a few bits of white toast. Was I ever wrong! Breakfast is seated in the charming and elegant dining room, an array of delicious healthful cereals on offer alongside Anne Marie's own stewed fruit (worth the trip alone I tells you..). A fresh pot of coffee is always at hand, tea is served in fine bone china cups and before you know it Anne Marie pops out with a scrumptious serve of something delicious and hot- on the day we stayed it was scrambled eggs flavoured with herbs from Winter-Roses veggie patch, homemade tomato relish and a perfectly cooked snag. You definitely do not leave that table until you are full and grinning from ear to ear!

My partner and I were sorry we only planned to stay for one day, and I will be back next year- this time for longer. If you are planning on a trip to Bathurst don't miss the chance to enjoy Anne Maries hospitality.

Room Tip: Breakfast is served between 7am and 8pm- if you are in the Gold Room you might be woken by diners ex...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Monique v
winter-roseBathurst, Owner at Winter-Rose Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Thank you for your great comments . You have gone to a lot of trouble. What a shame they highlighted the potentially negative .I shall try to get the times changed, dont you bother.
Many thanks again,

Reviewed 29 October 2011

We booked Winter-Rose cottage at short notice via WOTIF arriving on a warm spring afternoon. What a delight, Ann Marie made us feel right at home in the self contained cottage nestled in the most wonderful cottage garden. We sort recommendations for dinner on a Monday night and they were spot on. The cottage is a short walk to town and a park near the Macquarie River. Breakfast was fantastic and we left feeling that next time we pass through Bathurst we will know where to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple