“Overnight Stay”

Alpine Heritage Motel Goulburn
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Goulburn
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We booked and stayed overnight on the way to Melbourne, We arrived there around 12midnight, the key was left out for us, no trouble getting or getting into our room. We were in room 6, found it clean and tidy, bathroom looked like it had just been given a make over and was good as well. The bed was pretty old and a little on the hard side, never the less we had a good sleep. A new queen size bed wouldn't hurt.

Room Tip: We found 6 was v good.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter J C

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed in Room 22. It was smelly, cramped and grotty. There was paint peeling from the walls, most probably due to its old age. The two pieces of pipe protruding from the wall are a mystery to us as is just what was lurking behind the piece of duct tape stuck to the wall. The only place to sit was on the end of the bed, unless one of us wanted to sit on the bar stool in the bathroom. The evacuation plan was missing from the back of the door.

I have stayed in many places in my life, which included what 29 years in the Army entailed, but this was arguably the most horrible room I've ever encountered.

We cannot fathom how the place looked so good online and how anyone could have rated it as a worthwhile place to stay.

We weren't game enough to make a cup of coffee in the place and couldn't wit to get out of there the next morning. My wife cried herself to sleep and kept asking "why did you bring me here?"

When we checked out, the reception area reeked of cigarette smoke.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else and seriously consider sticking with a known motel chain
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark H
alpineGoulburn, Manager at Alpine Heritage Motel Goulburn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thanks Mark,
What can I say, or do at this stage to rectify the self imposed situation?
When you checked in, I said ' If you can't find something- find me, if you need something please ask '; this is what I iterate to all guests.
I would have offered you a different room, or refunded you.
My sincere apologies to your wife. There was no need to have her suffer.
Dad always said ' When you want to be served, you need to give people the opportunity to serve.
That's what the Queen does.'
Once again,
Apologies to your wife,
regards,
Rich

Reviewed 21 March 2014

The unit was clean and quiet. However; it had double/ single beds for seven crammed into one room yet we were charged the rate for 7! Not worth the rate for 2 people. There was one window only, in the sitting room; the sleeping room was windowless. The microwave and toaster were useless as there was no crockery other than a few coffee cups, no sink or tap. The electric jug had a faulty connection and we had to use one of the 2 glasses to fill it at the basin. There was no sink. We were told that the tradesmen who sleep here steal the crockery etc- so why advertise a microwave and toaster? The table had 4 chairs and the settee 2 places- not much use for 7 ! and even for 2 no cooking or washing up facilities. So the whole set up badly thought out and overpriced.

Room Tip: Choose the heritage rooms at 85 $ for two, which seems ok- and book in advance. We booked late and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank williamblake469
alpineGoulburn, Manager at Alpine Heritage Motel Goulburn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Hi,
Thanks for your comments, always helpful to understand peoples perceptions;
however some of your statements could be misleading.
We do not advertise our rooms as 'self-contained', though we do have a BBQ and common kitchen for guest use.
The room you describe is a ' budget family' room; we charge the room rate only, not per head.
There is a window in the bedroom.
I always advise 'if you can't find something- find me, if you need something- please ask'
Regards,
Rich

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Moron who had no clue at front desk, putrid, disgusting, hideous room. Criminal that this place still operates. DON'T GO THERE. I booked a deluxe room but after 15 minutes waiting, and then having to have a stand up argument with the fool because he didn't believe I'd paid online, I was given a key that took me to the most disgusting hovel I have ever seen. Three hours later, while I'm at a wedding across town, the idiot calls to ask when I'll be checking in. Once he realised he'd checked me in to the wrong room he tried to make it my fault. "You come back." I explained I was at a wedding and couldn't. He made no offer or attempt to rectify the situation. I never went back to sleep there, we found a decent hotel near the wedding and counted our blessings. This disgusting place should be shut down.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sam S
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Don't go there! Don't be fooled by the attractive terrace exterior, which suggests a possible lovely old establishment with character – which I'm sure it had been once. My review is based on our recent overnight stay and hasten to suggest that the 3-star rating is 2 stars too many! Upon entering our room on the 1st floor, we were dismayed that any suggestion of character had evaporated . The sad thing is that it could have been so much nicer with some care and simple attention to detail. A mish-mash of old furniture dotted the room – the impression was not one of welcoming. The room looked tired – then again so were we, after an 8 hour drive from Melbourne. We weren't expecting a palace, but this was definitely NOT value for money. The place is run down and it's obvious that makeshift, shoddy repairs to comply with so-called standards have been carried out – but more like what an unskilled home handyman would do. The "wardrobe" or hanging space was covered by a home-made curtain on a sagging curtain rod – not a good look! Another example was the ensuite door – the door knob was a small loose old wooden knob – the door a push/pull arrangement (like a copboard) with a matching knob on the other side, with a crude small metal bolt on the inside offering privacy. The clumsy layout of the bathroom left little room to negotiate a pathway to the toilet which was tucked round beside the rather large and ugly shower recess. In the main room, a small wooden table jammed between the wall and a large lounge chair offered a small amount of room for somewhere to put our cup of tea which me made soon after arrival. Just as well we had no need to use this table for anything else, as we would have shared it with the flat-screen TV and video unit. Besides, only one chair was provided. The large comfy looking lounge chair was jammed between the table and the wall, but certainly was not intended to be sat on to watch TV as it faced the wrong way! The window sill had been very crudely repaired with rough, cheap timber – the job never completed by the look of the chipped plaster and paintwork surrounding it. I could go on. But prefer to include a few photographs. And finally, to round off my report, I must add that although we did manage to have a reasonable night's sleep (the bed was surprisingly OK) despite the fact that initially we could hear our guests walking around in the room directly above us. I'm glad that they too decided must have decided to turn in early. But we know when the woke up – could hear the water running through the pipes when someone had a shower at 5.00 am! Should we return to Goulburn again, we will be carefully researching our accommodation options – even if it means adding a few more dollars to our budget. All we ask is good value for money, which on this occasion – was NOT.

3  Thank Moxnat1
Reviewed 31 December 2013

After being a bit apprehensive on reading many poor reviews on the Alpine Heritage Hotel after booking and before arriving, my husband and I recently spent 5 nights in a heritage queen room and were more than happy with the space, cleanliness, friendly staff (Richard & Paul) and the very convenient proximity to town, and considered it excellent value for money. Cannot comment on the other rooms of course, but would recommend a heritage queen to friends.

1  Thank pittgp
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Booked on way to Sydney. Very old and saggy bed, could not sleep all night, tiny room had one feet space on sides. Toaster was there but no plates, tea cups without saucer, only one tea spoon. Certainly not 3 stars by any standard, air conditioner could not cool down the room overnight, no fly screen in window or door so we could not open them overnight.

2  Thank Cos_I_am