“Fabulous!”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Absolutely beautiful! So charming and so delicious. We had a great dining experience and found all staff very personable. Well done Fireside Inn, I hope to see you next year!

1  Thank Tylsy

Reviewed 10 November 2013

A group of a dozen of us had a very delightful lunch at The Fireside Inn, the atmosphere is good, surroundings pleasant and the food tasty. The two or three course menu is fixed price and very reasonable for what is on offer. Everyone commented on the excellent quality of the food, the portion sizes were very good, the service was timely and the staff pleasant and attentive. Goulburn doesn’t really have a great variety of quality restaurants so this was a good find. One minor criticism was there were no bread rolls with the meal – bread and butter plates and butter knives were set out, but no rolls arrived. Other than that, a very enjoyable meal was had by all.

Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

I didn't think it was possible for one man, especially a restaurant owner, to be so utterly rude, ignorant and condescending - and that's just how he treated me!! Struggling to believe such a beautiful old restaurant is being so badly ruined by the owner! Which is a shame as the food was quite nice, but overshaddowed and ruined by the 'service'. If you like paying to be treated like dirt then this is your new favourite place!

8  Thank KrissyLouise
Julie H, Owner at The Fireside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Thank you for your review, and I can only apologise for your ruined evening.

However, I am confused by your review given how you rate our restaurant as overall "terrible", but in your review you clearly state that the food is "quite nice" but then go on to rate the food as "terrible". You also note how lovely the restaurant is but rate the atmosphere as "terrible". Surely the value could not have been "terrible" given our food is quite nice and our prices are not high? I believe it is the service that you are really complaining about as "terrible" and this we will endeavour to work on.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

found this little gem because its beautiful exterior is so lovely . once inside , its quite nice and comfortable with lovely wood accents . hospitality was fine , we were made to feel comfortable and relaxed until our meals arrived , which were very tasty and filling . really couldn't ask for more , a very good dining experience , highly recommend .

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Myself & my wife have just walked out of this 'establishment' in complete shock!! The N.American owner is the rudest  individual I've ever met! My wife who doesn't eat pork ordered the "chicken stuffed with tomato & spinach on brown rice"- no mention of pork! When it arrived she took a bite & it's stuffed full of bacon! She didn't make a fuss, just asked the waitress for another meal & explained why. The waitress (who is lovely and needs to find another restaurant where she is actually valued!) organised a warm chicken & pumpkin salad to come out. The owner then came to collect my dish as I had finished & we were twiddling our thumbs waiting on the salad & asked my wife "didn't you order anything?" she explained the issue & he just stared at her, walked over & read the menu (doubting her!) then walked off. He then came back & patronised/insulted my wife by barking "are you sure it was bacon? Or was it just sauce?" After some more time & being further ignored/given bad looks he then dumped a tiny plain side salad on the table. My wife said "sorry this isn't what I ordered, we're going to leave now-" & was about to say "because I feel sick from eating pork anyways & I don't want to wait any longer for a meal" but he cut her off with "for God's sake!" at the top of his lungs & stormed off. I then go to pay & we've been charged for everything!! When I argue and ask for some compensation for the wait &  terrible service the waitress tells me she can't, so I ask to see the manager & he wont come out!! I manage to convince the waitress to take the chicken off the bill but she is very upset so I wanted to speak to the manager to make it clear she is not the problem here.. Finally & most concerning when I explain to him that his arrogance, rudeness, patronising, insulting and unapologetic attitude has been completely unacceptable he actually gets right in my face & starts yelling at the top of his voice in the middle of everyone that I need to leave now as he is "holding himself back" - all the while holding a butter knife in a stabbing motion!!!

I wish we had gone to KFC!!! NEVER GO HERE!!!

10  Thank MrLCarter
Julie H, Owner at The Fireside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

I have investigated your review with our Manager, the Waitress on shift and the Chef. In fairness to our restaurant and to bring balance to your review, this is the account of events from the staff on shift.

Yes, your wife's meal had a secondary ingredient of bacon in the dish. This dish is by no means "stuffed full of bacon" as you state. I have advised the Chef to note all secondary ingredients in future as, especially with a meat such as pork, some diners may have intolerances for religious or other reasons.

To rate the overall food as "terrible" is damning given you ate your meal (which there is no mention of) and your wife had no complaint about her Warm Chicken and Pumpkin Salad which she ate completely and given this dish is not on our regular menu and the Chef prepared especially for her. The fact that you were served a Garden Salad also is the mistake of the Manager but contributed to by you as you advised him you were waiting on "a salad" which he promptly went and arranged.

Thank you for your compliment about our Waitress on shift. We also think she is lovely and we can advise she is very happy working for us and has no plans to leave. She has advised the reason she was so upset was because of your insistent demands to escalate the matter which she found hard to manage.

The Manager was aware you were intent on escalating the matter and was actually trying to avoid a scene. You did however force the matter when you crossed the restaurant floor to where he was setting a table and abused him to his face, as you have stated. There was no yelling or stabbing motion, as you have stated.

Your review rates our restaurant as overall "Terrible". We may not always get everything 100% correct for all customers, however we must disagree with this rating.